Author Topic: Barack Obama 'to admonish' Donald Trump in farewell Chicago speech: when is it and what will he say?  (Read 990 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Barack Obama 'to admonish' Donald Trump in farewell Chicago speech: when is it and what will he say?
The London Telegraph, Jan 9, 2017, Barney Henderson

President Barack Obama will deliver a farewell speech after eight years in office on Tuesday night in his hometown of Chicago before handing power to Donald Trump next week. 

Mr Obama, who adopted Chicago as his home in 1985 and later served as a senator there, delivered one of his most famous speeches in the city after clinching his first presidential election victory in November 2008.

He had swept into office on a tide of hope and optimism. Eight years later, the outlook is rather different. Next week, the president will hand over power to Donald Trump, who won last year's election often pushing a message of fear and division.

What will he say?

Mr Obama has described Tuesday's speech as "a chance to say thank-you for this amazing journey" and and to “offer some thoughts on where we all go from here”.

However, with his legacy under threat from Mr Trump and a Congress dominated by Republicans - and a new, right-wing, Supreme Court justice appointment imminent - many believe Mr Obama will deliver one final, impassioned defence of his presidency, philosophy and policies.

Sources close to Mr Obama told CNN the president's speech would include a series of "admonitions about the challenges we face moving forward".

Mr Trump has promised to dismantled Mr Obama's signature domestic policy, Obamacare, and rip up America's current diplomatic policies - including by building a new, close relationship with Vladimir Putin, the Russian president.

Mr Obama said on Sunday that he found Mr Trump “very engaging and gregarious". He said the Republican was "not lacking in confidence”, to the point where he may have “enough craziness to think [he] can do the job”.

More:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/09/barack-obama-admonish-donald-trump-farewell-chicago-speech-will/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What will he say?  "I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me, I, I, I, I" 

You can quote me.   ^-^

Offline Frank Cannon

and to “offer some thoughts on where we all go from here”.

We go running away from you as fast as we can you Commie POS.

Wingnut

and to “offer some thoughts on where we all go from here”.

We go running away from you as fast as we can you Commie POS.