Author Topic: Judith Curry in Transition  (Read 4355 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Judith Curry in Transition
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:15:58 pm »
Judith Curry in Transition

Posted on January 3, 2017 | 267 Comments

by Judith Curry

Effective January 1, I have resigned my tenured faculty position at Georgia Tech.

Before reflecting on a range of things, let me start by answering a question that may have popped into your head: I have no plans to join the Trump administration (ha ha).

Why did I resign my tenured faculty position?

I’m ‘cashing out’ with 186 published journal articles and two books. The superficial reason is that I want to do other things, and no longer need my university salary. This opens up an opportunity for Georgia Tech to make a new hire (see advert).

The deeper reasons have to do with my growing disenchantment with universities, the academic field of climate science and scientists.
A deciding factor was that I no longer know what to say to students and postdocs regarding how to navigate the CRAZINESS in the field of climate science. Research and other professional activities are professionally rewarded only if they are channeled in certain directions approved by a politicized academic establishment — funding, ease of getting your papers published, getting hired in prestigious positions, appointments to prestigious committees and boards, professional recognition, etc.

At this point, I figure that I can reach more people (including students and young researchers) via social media. Do I pretend to have any answers to all this? No, but I hope I am provoking students and scientists to think outside of their little bubble.

So my fall from the ivory tower that started in 2005 is now complete [link to my 2006 AGU

At this point, the private sector seems like a more ‘honest’ place for a scientist working in a politicized field than universities or government labs — at least when you are your own boss.
So, where does all this leave my endeavors with social media (including Climate Etc.?) Resigning my faculty position and taking on a full time plus position in running CFAN actually
We’ll see how all this plays out, but I figured I’ve earned the right to explore and do what I want.  This is my definition of academic freedom (and I’m not asking anyone else to pay for it).

Excerpted from:

https://judithcurry.com/2017/01/03/jc-in-transition/

Offline jpsb

Re: Judith Curry in Transition
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:56:10 pm »
Sad to see science politicized by our professional political class. Academia can be brutal and vicious.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:32:59 pm »
I heard her on the radio yesterday.  (Tucker Carlson's show, I think).  I'm glad the sane ones are beginning to speak out.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:06:33 pm »
I heard her on the radio yesterday.  (Tucker Carlson's show, I think).  I'm glad the sane ones are beginning to speak out.

Carlson's show is doing well. I'm glad he shed the bow tie. It made him look like he was copying George Will (of whom one is enough). One can sense that the tide is turning in many ways toward the better. The sinking of the Eightball Obama in the corner pocket means a new beginning for the nation. Selah!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:09:14 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)