Author Topic: Is Running Bad for Your Knees?  (Read 528 times)

rangerrebew

Is Running Bad for Your Knees?
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:37:33 pm »
Is Running Bad for Your Knees?
Study suggests it may slow development of osteoarthritis
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
By Randy Dotinga
Thursday, January 5, 2017
HealthDay news image

THURSDAY, Jan. 5, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Everybody believes running can leave you sore and swollen, right? Well, a new study suggests running might actually reduce inflammation in joints.

"It flies in the face of intuition," said study co-author Matt Seeley, an associate professor of exercise sciences at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. "This idea that long-distance running is bad for your knees might be a myth."

Seeley and his colleagues reached their surprising conclusion after analyzing the knee joint fluid of several healthy men and women between the ages of 18 and 35. The researchers looked for signs of inflammation in chemical markers before and after a 30-minute run and found little difference.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_162903.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:38:12 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Is Running Bad for Your Knees?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »

Study suggests it may slow development of osteoarthritis

It didn't work for me.  I had my knees scoped 6 times before I was 60, and I now have both knees and hips replaced.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:03:52 pm »
My husband is 66 and has run dozens of marathons over the past 40 years. He won his age group at his most recent one in November, and will be back in the Boston marathon this April. While he occasionally has knee pain, his Achilles tendon or back is more likely to shut down his training. Each person is different.

Edit to add: I just told him about this thread. He said he believes the reason his knees have survived 40,000 miles and are still able to carry him through long runs is the thorough icing he gives them after every run. (Not the cake frosting type of icing, a block of ice he rubs over the knees).  ^-^
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:03:16 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:27:15 pm »
It won't pertain to all men or all runners I'm sure; but some of this too per knees, can have something to do with weight. In general, I don't like running because over miles, I will carry some weight.

Think, who might be a better runner, someone who is 5'6" and fairly lean, 150 lbs.? Or someone who is 6'2" and weighs 210. Obviously, there is a chance for more stress on the joints with the latter.