Author Topic: 'Sicilian Stonehenge' discovered by amateur archaeologists  (Read 1174 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
'Sicilian Stonehenge' discovered by amateur archaeologists
« on: January 06, 2017, 04:06:29 pm »
'Sicilian Stonehenge' discovered by amateur archaeologists

A group of friends stumbled across an unusual arrangement of stones in Sicily, which experts have now confirmed form a prehistoric sundial dating back to the Bronze Age.

"Making an archaeological discovery is in itself an important event, but to be part of one of the most sensational finds in recent years fills me with pride," said Giuseppe La Spina, one of the group which made the discovery.

He added that the fact the sundial was located in Gela, the town on Sicily's southern coast where he was born, "makes me very emotional".

La Spina and his colleagues came across the stones while carrying out surveys of World War II bunkers. Their report was read by Professor Alberto Scuderi, a regional director of Italy's Archaeologist Groups, who suggested the discovery get scientific confirmation.

Continued: http://www.thelocal.it/20170105/calendar-6000bc-discovered-gela-italy-archaeology

Another report talks of a stonehenge in Kazakhstan, another story talks of an underwater Stonehenge monolith off of Sicily. Sicily's may not be as pronounced as the one in Great Britain.

Sicily's:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: 'Sicilian Stonehenge' discovered by amateur archaeologists
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:13:02 pm »
Another story on this Sicilian Stonehenge from Lonely Planet:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/01/06/stonehenge-prehistoric-sundial-sicily/

They have a picture at the web page but I've got to think that's a picture of the one in England; and they erroneously seem to assign it to Sicily, so maybe they are correct.