Author Topic: LOSING OUR WAY. “Conservatives” Developing Hypocrisy Problem  (Read 2547 times)

Offline corbe

LOSING OUR WAY. “Conservatives” Developing Hypocrisy Problem

Posted at 4:00 pm on January 5, 2017 by Mickey White

Conservatives, we have a problem. There is a disturbing trend among some of the most outspoken “conservative” voices to advance their agenda at all costs. It’s a dangerous approach. One we’ve seen the left use for years, Conservatives used to stand for something, and while many still do, recent events tell us that some are merely excited to finally feel as though they are in a position to lord power over others. They wanted an Obama of their own. Trump’s election has given them the affirmation they were seeking, now some are intoxicated on the illusion of this power and it could give us all a hangover.

Matthew 16:26: What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

When I first started watching cable news on a daily basis post-9/11 — the “conservative awakening” — I found myself watching Fox News more and more not because they were cheering for George W. Bush, but because they were reporting all sides of the story. Something that had been missing. Their tag line “Fair and Balanced” and “We Report You Decide” of their daytime news programming was carried over into their primetime line-up.

Back in those early days, Fox News was fighting for market share and aggressively targeted those of us who had read Bernie Goldberg’s book “Bias”. We wanted a news outlet that actually presented the news, not the liberal interpretation of the news. Fox News was the first place to give us that option.

<..snip..>

http://www.redstate.com/mickeywhite2/2017/01/05/losing-our-way-conservatives-we-have-a-problem/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: LOSING OUR WAY. “Conservatives” Developing Hypocrisy Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:31:50 am »
   One major problem with this, but otherwise, insightful and possibly informative for you TBR'ers..
   You Guess?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:52:55 am »
Well unless you are referencing the outrage that so many have tied the torture of that mentally handicapped chap in Chicago with BLM, I do not find anything in that essay that would warrant citing as a 'major problem' with it.

It's pretty spot on to me.

The disaffected GOP wants vengeance and a dictator of their own with a pen and phone who will punish and stick it to anyone and everyone who disagrees with them.

A recipe for something much worse than what we have already suffered under the Obama/Clinton regimes.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:00:31 am »
   My major problem with the article by Mickey White is in the first paragraph when he seems to associate Conservatism with Trump election.
   'True' Conservatives, in my opinion, are still in a somewhat state of 'shell shock' and there's very little movement in OUR Caucus, right now.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 02:12:21 am »
   My major problem with the article by Mickey White is in the first paragraph when he seems to associate Conservatism with Trump election.
   'True' Conservatives, in my opinion, are still in a somewhat state of 'shell shock' and there's very little movement in OUR Caucus, right now.

AHhhhhhhhhh!  Very ADROIT of you to notice!

I even missed that one.

YES - it is disconcerting to read and hear the wide belief that all Conservatives are Republicans or that Trump has been and is governed by Conservative principles, which we all know he is not.  I cannot tell you the number of people I have talked to at a big church event in the last couple of weeks, who are lifelong Republicans who actually think and believe that Trump is a Conservative.  They are bewildered I did not vote for him given they know my history in the GOP.

What was more revealing is how many of those same folks, when discussing Conservative principles - are willing to throw those away to support Trump's ideology 'no matter what".  Some - as the article noted - want payback, and some were busy trying to convince me that Trump was God's anointed instrument to bring justice and restore the country to greatness.  They did not like my response to such statements, and decades-long friendships are no more.

Trump is their Obama - and they are proud of it and will turn on anyone who isn't on board their bandwagon.

One said that I will find myself standing all alone, and I replied "Good.  I will stand on principle - even if I do have to stand alone".

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 02:13:28 am »
That political conservatism was ever pure is pure fantasy. Better than most of the opposition but never pure.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 02:18:18 am »
  Half my Customers that go all Trump on me (unprovoked), when informed of my inclinations, just assume that I voted for Bernie or Hillary and unlike here, I just walk away and let these fools wallow in their stupidity.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 02:31:19 am »
That political conservatism was ever pure is pure fantasy. Better than most of the opposition but never pure.

It would be funny to read all the justifications for big government bloat, Statism and crony Fascism if it weren't so sad.

"Conservatism was never pure, so let us all seig-heil a new trillion dollar Stimulus, simply because it is Trump who wants it!"

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:35:39 am »
It would be funny to read all the justifications for big government bloat, Statism and crony Fascism if it weren't so sad.

"Conservatism was never pure, so let us all seig-heil a new trillion dollar Stimulus, simply because it is Trump who wants it!"

Be sure to get up early to watch the excuses on why Trump no longer expects Mexico to pay for the wall but instead expects the taxpayers to fork over $20 billion.  :silly:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 02:42:44 am »
Be sure to get up early to watch the excuses on why Trump no longer expects Mexico to pay for the wall but instead expects the taxpayers to fork over $20 billion.  :silly:

Limbaugh has already greased the skids on that one.

His justification is that everyone knew he was just kidding, but it was the campaign so it was necessary to use it to bring attention to the problem.

Offline corbe

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 02:54:49 am »
  While we're building wall, we will also be building a national network of Child Care Centers, they'll be nicknamed the IC units in honor of the presidents main squeeze.

Offline endicom

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 03:08:13 am »

What in the world was that incoherent babble?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 03:27:35 am »

What we read and hear from Trump Apologists.

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 03:37:23 am »
   One major problem with this, but otherwise, insightful and possibly informative for you TBR'ers..
   You Guess?

@corbe

"The Most Trusted Name In News" is definitely not that. Otherwise everything seems accurate.

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 03:49:23 am »
@CatherineofAragon

Martha will not fix that fair and balanced thing either, Fox has jumped the shark, been coopted by Trumpsters just like Trumpbart and TOS among a few examples.

Offline DB

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 04:03:31 am »

That was only incoherent if you don't speak English or not too bright.

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:40 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:34 am »
@corbe

"The Most Trusted Name In News" is definitely not that. Otherwise everything seems accurate.
Nah, "died in the wool" should have been "dyed in the wool".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 02:28:41 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

Martha will not fix that fair and balanced thing either, Fox has jumped the shark, been coopted by Trumpsters just like Trumpbart and TOS among a few examples.

@corbe

I agree.  Call me crazy, but I don't want a news network that promotes the bubble effect and feeds me the information I want to hear. I prefer to think for myself.

Silver Pines

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 02:31:19 pm »
Nah, "died in the wool" should have been "dyed in the wool".

@Smokin Joe

Very good!   888high58888

Surprised I didn't catch that one.  My locals news station has at least one misspelled word onscreen per broadcast, and it bugs me like crazy.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 02:39:53 pm »

@corbe

I agree.  Call me crazy, but I don't want a news network that promotes the bubble effect and feeds me the information I want to hear. I prefer to think for myself.

Agreed. The echo chamber effect was why I left TOS.

Its like saying that Megyn Kelly is tough on Donald Trump so she is the left and therefore I hate her. If someone I dislike says something right, I'm supposed to abandon the right thing because someone I disagree said it.

Its complete and utter stupidity which a smart enemy will use with great effect.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 03:06:43 pm »
The writer makes some good points. I'm conflicted, though - having sat through thirty years of being one the side of the Washington Generals - polite, civil and simply going through the motions as this writer prefers - I have to admit I'm enjoying the thrashing many on the left are now receiving. Our side should have adapted new more brutally aggressive tactics years ago, maybe we could've been spared eight years of the golfing maoist.

As it turned out the last real take-no-prisoners warrior the republicans had died 26 years ago and was posthumously vilified by the MSM, mercilessly. That really musta really frightened the GOP because they've approached winning office like Caspar Milquetoast ever since.

Where I agree completely with the writer is the new take-no-prisoners attitude must be extended to include our core ideology - essential liberties granted us by God and a view of government as a necessary evil and the only entity capable of taking them away. This is the only idea worth being brutally aggressive in defense of.

Otherwise winning at politics becomes about personalities, egos & empires.

BTW BLM is as guilty of complicity in the torture of that Chicago kid as ISIS is of the Orlando or Berlin terror killings.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:13:06 pm by skeeter »

Silver Pines

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 03:31:47 pm »
Agreed. The echo chamber effect was why I left TOS.

Its like saying that Megyn Kelly is tough on Donald Trump so she is the left and therefore I hate her. If someone I dislike says something right, I'm supposed to abandon the right thing because someone I disagree said it.

Its complete and utter stupidity which a smart enemy will use with great effect.

@Cripplecreek

That's very true.  When you see people (not here) saying that Thomas Sowell was a loser and a know-nothing because he criticized their candidate, you know that perspective and common sense have left the building.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »
I have to admit I'm enjoying the thrashing many on the left are now receiving. Our side should have adapted new more brutally aggressive tactics years ago, maybe we could've been spared eight years of the golfing maoist.

Only a people whose convictions and principles are immovable and solid have the ability aggressively defend those things that make up their core ideology without apology.  Those that have no principles outside of obtaining or holding office and power will placate and surrender to every single negative they run across, which is Republican Party 101.

On the flip side of that, Narcissists and egomaniacs that coerce a people into a vendetta of vengeance and payback are motivated by aggressive tactics to impose punishment, and not because principles are being articulated in defense.  They want to get even and inflict pain, not persuade others to a way of life and thinking.  These are the folks that are just as willing to empower giant behemoth central planning government/dictatorship as their Leftist counterparts.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 04:32:43 pm »
Only a people whose convictions and principles are immovable and solid have the ability aggressively defend those things that make up their core ideology without apology.  Those that have no principles outside of obtaining or holding office and power will placate and surrender to every single negative they run across, which is Republican Party 101.

On the flip side of that, Narcissists and egomaniacs that coerce a people into a vendetta of vengeance and payback are motivated by aggressive tactics to impose punishment, and not because principles are being articulated in defense.  They want to get even and inflict pain, not persuade others to a way of life and thinking.  These are the folks that are just as willing to empower giant behemoth central planning government/dictatorship as their Leftist counterparts.

As I said, passion in politics without the right principles has never ended well.