Author Topic: NASA says mysterious object hurtling towards Earth could be an asteroid or a comet  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
NASA says mysterious object hurtling towards Earth could be an asteroid or a comet - Mirror Online

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/nasa-says-mysterious-object-hurtling-9560987

NASA recently spotted two massive space objects hurtling towards Earth.

While the American space agency has pinpointed one as a comet, the other has left it slightly more baffled.

The comet is set to fly close to Earth this week, but the mystery object isn't expected to make an appearance until February.

The object, dubbed "2016 WF9", was detected by NASA's asteroid- and comet-hunting NEOWISE project on 27 November 2016.

It is roughly 0.3 to 0.6 miles (0.5 to 1 kilometres) across and is in an orbit that takes it on a scenic tour of our solar system.

At its farthest distance from the sun, it approaches Jupiter's orbit.

Over the course of 4.9 Earth-years, it travels inward, passing under the main asteroid belt and the orbit of Mars until it swings just inside Earth's own orbit.

After that, it heads back toward the outer solar system.

However, NASA scientists are not sure whether it is a comet or an asteroid .

"2016 WF9 could have cometary origins," said Deputy Principal Investigator James "Gerbs" Bauer at NASA's JPL.

"This object illustrates that the boundary between asteroids and comets is a blurry one; perhaps over time this object has lost the majority of the volatiles that linger on or just under its surface."

While 2016 WF9 is dark like a comet, it appears to lack the characteristic dust and gas cloud that defines a comet.

On 25 February, 2017 WF9 will approach Earth's orbit at a distance of nearly 32 million miles (51 million kilometres) from our home planet.

NASA said that the object is "not a threat to Earth for the foreseeable future”.

Meanwhile, the other object, which has been firmly classified as a comet could be visible this week.

The comet, C/2016 U1 NEOWISE, "has a good chance of becoming visible through a good pair of binoculars, although we can't be sure because a comet's brightness is notoriously unpredictable," said Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Center for Near-Earth Object (NEO) Studies at JPL.

Those in the northern hemisphere may be able to spot the comet in the southeastern sky shortly before dawn this week.

It is moving farther south each day and it will reach its closest point to the sun, inside the orbit of Mercury, on 14 January, before heading back out to the outer reaches of the solar system for an orbit lasting thousands of years.

While the comet may be visible to stargazers, it is not considered to be a threat to the planet.

The NEOWISE project discovered more than 34,000 asteroids during its original mission and was brought out of hibernation in December 2013 to detect comets and asteroids that could pose a threat to Earth.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Probably an interplanetary missile designed to obliterate earth so  aliens don't have to hear our commercials when they listen to FM anymore.

With the could cover I'll doubt if I can see it, but might be worth a try.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:07:27 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Wingnut

Probably an interplanetary missile designed to obliterate earth so  aliens don't have to hear our commercials when they listen to FM anymore.

With the could cover I'll doubt if I can see it, but might be worth a try.

Launched by this guy no doubt:

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The article wasn't clear on the orbit of 2016 WF9 (at least, it wasn't clear to me...) so I went looking for more information on it.  According to Wikipedia, 2016 WF9 is classified as an Apollo asteroid.  Apollo asteroids are asteroids which have an orbit that takes them within Earth's orbit on their closest approach to the Sun (perihelion) and outside of Earth's orbit at their furthest from the Sun (aphelion.)  In the case of 2016 WF9, its perihelion is just outside the orbit of Venus, while its aphelion is just inside the orbit of Jupiter.

Since Apollo asteroids do cross Earth's orbit, they can sometimes collide with Earth. 2016 WF9 won't be coming very close to Earth at all though, at least... not this time. (dun dun DUN...)
Let it burn.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Wow!  Thank goodness NASA re-purposed it's funding to Global Warming and Muslim outreach, or we'd be in BIG TROUBLE.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
The article wasn't clear on the orbit of 2016 WF9 (at least, it wasn't clear to me...) so I went looking for more information on it.  According to Wikipedia, 2016 WF9 is classified as an Apollo asteroid.  Apollo asteroids are asteroids which have an orbit that takes them within Earth's orbit on their closest approach to the Sun (perihelion) and outside of Earth's orbit at their furthest from the Sun (aphelion.)  In the case of 2016 WF9, its perihelion is just outside the orbit of Venus, while its aphelion is just inside the orbit of Jupiter.

Since Apollo asteroids do cross Earth's orbit, they can sometimes collide with Earth. 2016 WF9 won't be coming very close to Earth at all though, at least... not this time. (dun dun DUN...)

So we can rest easy. It's not Sweet Meteor of Doom. Or a relation of Shoemaker Levy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:45:48 pm by Freya »

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
So we can rest easy. It's not Sweet Meteor of Doom. Or a relation of Shoemaker Levy.

Not this pass, at least. Interestingly, they now think that the meteor that exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia in February 2013 was an Apollo-class asteroid.
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Not this pass, at least. Interestingly, they now think that the meteor that exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia in February 2013 was an Apollo-class asteroid.

If I recall correctly, it did some damage. Property and hurt people. Thank heaven no one died.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If I recall correctly, it did some damage. Property and hurt people. Thank heaven no one died.

Broke a few thousand windows, and injuries resulted from the broken glass.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Interesting about the definition about an "Apollo-class asteroid."  Sounds more like a comet.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Did they ever figure out what it was that went over Siberia in the early 1900s?

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Did they ever figure out what it was that went over Siberia in the early 1900s?

No, but a meteor doesn't fit the bill.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:24:10 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

Fall down, go boom!