Author Topic: Tunisian charged over Poland stabbing that sparked riot - BBC  (Read 488 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Tunisian charged over Poland stabbing that sparked riot - BBC
« on: January 04, 2017, 04:53:23 am »
Some trouble in Poland and prayers for the family and friends of the deceased.

Tunisian charged over Poland stabbing that sparked riot

Polish prosecutors have charged a Tunisian man with murder over a knife attack that sparked a riot in the north-eastern town of Elk.

Sunday's riot involved dozens of locals enraged by the killing of a 21-year-old Polish man, identified only as Daniel R, outside a kebab restaurant.

Investigators believe the Tunisian cook, 26, confronted Daniel R after he and another Pole stole two bottles of drink from the premises on Saturday.

Police detained 28 during the unrest.

Read More At: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38488863

The BBC reporting is straight-forward, more here:
http://112.international/society/in-poland-during-protests-because-of-murder-committed-by-migrant-detained-28-people-12702.html

It sounds like this situation was in the brewing; with prior acts, things like that.  And the situation came to a head. This situation happened Sunday but prior:

“There has been a great tragedy. I would like to appeal and ask residents for calm and to respect the tragedy the family of the 21-year-old Daniel is experiencing. I offered psychological help to this family,” he said, as cited by Gazeta Wiadomosci.

It is feared an incident in Elk could set off a wave of similar attacks against foreign businesses, fueled by nationalistic sentiments. Before midnight on Saturday, vandals daubed anti-Muslim graffiti on a Superkebab shop in the city of Lublin, which is owned by Indian citizens. Among the inscriptions scrawled on its floor and walls were, “F**k Islam” and “F**k ISIS.”

“A week ago, someone came to us and insulted us, using profanity. Threatened us and pissed on the wall of the premises. Now it has gone much worse. Two men aged 18-19 and 24-25 years came on the New Year’s Eve and demolished our premises. Both had hoods on their heads. Fortunately, all of the events was recorded on surveillance, the matter is reported to the police,” the owner of the diner, Shullye Parvez, told Polska Times.

Police have opened an investigation into the incident. If charged with inciting hatred, the perpetrators face up to two years behind bars.

More: http://www.eutimes.net/2017/01/riots-erupt-after-polish-man-killed-by-arabs-at-kebab-fast-food-in-poland/

The last two links may not have been written by someone well versed in the English language.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:54:20 am by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

Re: Tunisian charged over Poland stabbing that sparked riot - BBC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:51:00 am »
Poland ain't Germany.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Tunisian charged over Poland stabbing that sparked riot - BBC
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 02:29:59 pm »
People from India owned this restaurant. I just hope no one is confusing religions.  The owner's first name is Shullye, so I have no idea what kind of a name that is. People have confused religions before and for example, attacked Sikhs because of their turbans and beards.

Poland also has had its football/soccer hooligan problems. Some of this sounds a bit like hooliganism in the lead up.

Certainly, the people of Poland, seeing what has happened in Germany, must be very sensitive to the matters going on. I'm not being critical of them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:36:46 pm by TomSea »