Author Topic: Fossil fuel formation: Key to atmosphere’s oxygen?  (Read 592 times)

rangerrebew

Fossil fuel formation: Key to atmosphere’s oxygen?
« on: January 02, 2017, 03:59:32 pm »
Fossil fuel formation: Key to atmosphere’s oxygen?

Date:
    December 30, 2016
Source:
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
Summary:
    For the development of animals, nothing -- with the exception of DNA -- may be more important than oxygen in the atmosphere. A study now links the rise in oxygen to a rapid increase in the burial of sediment containing large amounts of carbon-rich organic matter.

FULL STORY
This black shale, formed 450 million years ago, contains fossils of trilobites and other organic material that, by removing carbon from Earth's surface, helped support increases in oxygen in the atmosphere.
Credit: Jon Husson and Shanan Peters/UW-Madison

For the development of animals, nothing -- with the exception of DNA -- may be more important than oxygen in the atmosphere.

Oxygen enables the chemical reactions that animals use to get energy from stored carbohydrates -- from food. So it may be no coincidence that animals appeared and evolved during the "Cambrian explosion," which coincided with a spike in atmospheric oxygen roughly 500 million years ago.

It was during the Cambrian explosion that most of the current animal designs appeared.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161230185406.htm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:00:14 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: Fossil fuel formation: Key to atmosphere’s oxygen?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 02:41:30 pm »
It's not like this is a new idea. It's a statistical analysis to support what u think most geologists already believed.

It's similar to how coal formation later on sequestered CO2, which led to a drop in temperature globally.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
It's similar to how coal formation later on sequestered CO2, which led to a drop in temperature globally.

Do you mean sequestered Carbon, rather than Carbon-Dioxide?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:49:49 am »
Do you mean sequestered Carbon, rather than Carbon-Dioxide?

Yes, it pulled out the CO2 and sequestered the carbon as coal beds.  Thanks!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 08:58:24 pm »
Some good reading on the beneficial aspects of CO2.  Shows some real science instead of made up drivel.

We need more CO2 as we are lean in it at present.  Sequestering is stupid and expensive.

http://marshall.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HapperMarshall-10-15-2014.pdf
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington