Author Topic: Remembering George Washington’s New Year’s Victory Over the British at Princeton  (Read 311 times)

rangerrebew

Remembering George Washington’s New Year’s Victory Over the British at Princeton

Kevin Mooney / December 30, 2016

PRINCETON, N.J.—What began as a retreat from battle-hardened, bayonet-wielding British soldiers 240 years ago, Gen. George Washington reorganized into a counterattack after arriving with well-armed reinforcements in a place known as Maxwell’s Field.

This battleground in Princeton, New Jersey, is where the U.S. War of Independence reached a critical turning point.

“Parade with us, my brave fellows!” Washington is said to have called out to his troops, “and we will have them directly.”

A tall and imposing figure even by today’s standards, Washington was “an easy mark for any British soldier” while mounted on his white horse, historian David Hackett Fischer recounts in his book “Washington’s Crossing.”

http://dailysignal.com//print?post_id=305894
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:39:38 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Princeton battlefield is one of my most favorite places in the world to walk around or chillax and read a book in the springtime.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

rangerrebew

Princeton battlefield is one of my most favorite places in the world to walk around or chillax and read a book in the springtime.

I've never been there but have visited Valley Forge and had the same sort of feeling you expressed.