Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209048 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1425 on: September 13, 2017, 11:49:14 pm »
RIP Pete

@MajorClay

Since it seems like I'm always the last one to hear,you had me scared for a minute,there.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1426 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:28 pm »
@MajorClay

Since it seems like I'm always the last one to hear,you had me scared for a minute,there.

LOL, someone here would have let you know, Pete!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1427 on: September 14, 2017, 04:35:08 pm »
Pete Domenici - 85

Didn't realize he was that old.  Time flies.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1428 on: September 14, 2017, 06:41:34 pm »
Didn't Frank Vincent's character in Sopranos have an SUV roll over his head?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1429 on: September 14, 2017, 06:51:07 pm »
Didn't Frank Vincent's character in Sopranos have an SUV roll over his head?

Whadya Gonna Do?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1430 on: September 14, 2017, 08:08:58 pm »
Otto Wanz passes away at 74 years old

Otto Wanz, the most famous wrestler in Germany and Austria during the 70s and 80s, passed away Thursday morning from what was described as a short but heavy illness. He was 74.

Wanz, a powerhouse at 6-foot-2 and 380 pounds, would be best known in the United States for his run as AWA Champion in 1982. Wanz had been champion of his own Catch Wrestling Association, but was largely unknown outside of Germany and Austria. He defeated Nick Bockwinkel for the title on August 29th, 1982, in St. Paul in a match that caused lingering hard feelings between Bockwinkel and longtime manager Bobby Heenan, because Bockwinkel never told Heenan that the title was changing hands ahead of time.
More

Another article: Former AWA World champion Otto Wanz dies

Wikipedia

Videos

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1431 on: September 16, 2017, 12:07:43 am »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1432 on: September 16, 2017, 12:46:26 am »
Character actor Harry Dean Stanton dies at age 91

http://wtop.com/movies/2017/09/character-actor-harry-dean-stanton-dies-at-age-91/
One of my favorite character actors. He was in a zillion tv shows and many movies. Love to watch old westerns like Gunsmoke and see these guys as they started out their careers. 
Stanton made it pretty far going beyond many character actors and even co-starring in a number films with the likes of Jack Nicholson (i.e. Missouri Breaks) and other major stars.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1433 on: September 16, 2017, 02:30:40 am »
Character actor Harry Dean Stanton dies at age 91

http://wtop.com/movies/2017/09/character-actor-harry-dean-stanton-dies-at-age-91/

Actual conversation I just had with my wife:

Me: "Harry Dean Stanton has passed away."

Her: "You're kidding! He wasn't that old!"

Me: "He was 91."

Her: "You're kidding! He was that old?"

That being said...

Harry Dean Stanton was a great character actor, and he will be missed.
Let it burn.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1434 on: September 18, 2017, 12:35:08 am »
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan dies at 72

Heenan was involved in the professional wrestling business from childhood, beginning as a concession salesboy and coat boy, then working his way up through the regional circuits and into the American Wrestling Association. In 1984, Heenan, like most of the AWA's talent, was raided by Vince McMahon as part of his World Wrestling Federation's rise to national fame. Heenan spent nine years with what is now WWE, mostly as a manager, where he became one of the company's most notorious villains. He was forced into retirement because of neck problems in 1993, at which point his longtime broadcast partner, Gorilla Monsoon, literally threw him out of the arena in a stunt.

He came out of retirement to join World Championship Wrestling in 1994. His time in WCW was less memorable. His career was permanently dented by a throat cancer diagnosis in 2002; the cancer recurred in his mouth in 2007, which required his jaw to be reconstructed and hampered his ability to speak.

WWE obituary

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1435 on: September 18, 2017, 01:16:15 am »
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan dies at 72

No!  8888crybaby

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1436 on: September 18, 2017, 03:19:18 am »
'I was just doing my job': Soviet officer who averted nuclear war dies at age 77
Published time: 17 Sep, 2017 19:01
https://www.rt.com/news/403625-nuclear-soviet-officer-died/

[...]

On September 7, Schumacher, who kept in touch with Petrov in the intervening years, phoned him to wish him a happy birthday, but instead learned from Petrov’s son, Dmitry, that the retired officer had died on May 19 in his home in a small town near Moscow.

[...]

On September 26, 1983, [Soviet lieutenant colonel] Stanislav Petrov was on duty in charge of an early warning radar system in a bunker near Moscow, when just past midnight he saw the radar screen showing a single missile inbound from the United States and headed toward the Soviet Union.

[...]

Taught that in case of a real attack the US would have gone on an all-out offensive, Petrov told his bosses the alarm must have been caused by a system malfunction.

“I’ll admit it, I was scared. I knew the level of responsibility at my fingertips,” he said.

It was later revealed that what the Soviet satellites took for missiles launch was sunlight reflected from clouds.

[...]

Excerpt. Cross-posted here: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,281554.0.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1437 on: September 18, 2017, 03:28:41 am »
Literally a guy who saved the world and didn't lionize himself for doing it. Refreshing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1438 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:31 pm »
Jake LaMotta dead: 'Raging Bull' boxing legend dies aged 95

Jake LaMotta – the legendary boxer depicted by Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull – has died, aged 95...

He liked to fight on the inside and was famous for stalking his opponents, who often had bigger punches, but less grit and determination. He is regarded as having one of the best chins in the history of the sport.

In an era of premium middleweights, LaMotta had some epic encounters. Most notable among these were six hair-raising fights with his great rival Sugar Ray Robinson...
More

Wikipedia

BoxRec

IMDb

Article with pictures and videos

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1439 on: September 20, 2017, 02:48:01 pm »
Wow!  Didn't know Jake LaMotta was still around.   One of the greats in boxing.   

Rest in peace.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #1440 on: September 21, 2017, 02:14:04 am »
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka Star Bernie Casey Dies at 78

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/im-gonna-git-you-sucka-star-bernie-casey-dies-at-78/ar-AAsh80N

Bernie Casey, best known for his scene-stealing role in Revenge of the Nerds and as the star of I’m Gonna Git You Sucka, has died at the age of 78.

The actor’s rep confirmed to PEOPLE that he died peacefully in a Los Angeles hospital Tuesday, surrounded by loved ones. He had suffered a recent illness and spent the past few days in a hospital.

In his youth, Casey was a record-breaking track and field athlete at Bowling Green University, earning All-American honors and a trip to the finals at the 1960 U.S. Olympic Trials. He was later drafted by the San Francisco 49ers as a top 10 pick, and played in the NFL as a wide-receiver for eight seasons, earning trips to the Pro Bowl.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #1441 on: September 21, 2017, 02:16:12 am »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/im-gonna-git-you-sucka-star-bernie-casey-dies-at-78/ar-AAsh80N

Bernie Casey, best known for his scene-stealing role in Revenge of the Nerds and as the star of I’m Gonna Git You Sucka, has died at the age of 78.

The actor’s rep confirmed to PEOPLE that he died peacefully in a Los Angeles hospital Tuesday, surrounded by loved ones. He had suffered a recent illness and spent the past few days in a hospital.

In his youth, Casey was a record-breaking track and field athlete at Bowling Green University, earning All-American honors and a trip to the finals at the 1960 U.S. Olympic Trials. He was later drafted by the San Francisco 49ers as a top 10 pick, and played in the NFL as a wide-receiver for eight seasons, earning trips to the Pro Bowl.

Rest In Peace.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1442 on: September 21, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alUFKzUuudI

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1443 on: September 24, 2017, 12:48:37 pm »
Charles Bradley, "screaming eagle of soul," dies at 68

Bradley, a working-class man who spent most of his young adulthood working odd jobs and cooking for a living, assumed the persona of Black Velvet, a James Brown tribute act, around the time he turned 50.

Daptone Records, a soul revival record label that also discovered the late Sharon Jones who died late last year, discovered Bradley's Black Velvet act and signed him to a record deal. Bradley would often improvise lyrics on his later performances. Daptone would release three albums of Bradley's performances between 2011 and 2014.

Bradley was diagnosed with stomach cancer in August 2016.

Obituary from CNN

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBdTVmSVq14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi49yirJiEA
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:48:58 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1445 on: September 28, 2017, 03:57:51 am »
Hugh Hefner, iconic founder of Playboy, has died at age 91

I write for Playboy to communicate my views to my seventeen-year-old son.---William F. Buckley, Jr.

Hey, anyone who could have put on as great a jazz festival as the 1959 Playboy Jazz Festival in Chicago
couldn't have been all that bad . . . here's one of the artists who played there, played here in Hefner's
memory . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWSjRW4iu9E

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1446 on: September 30, 2017, 11:21:49 pm »
Monty Hall, host of Let's Make a Deal, dead at 96.

Hall co-created “Let’s Make a Deal,” which debuted on NBC in 1963 and became a TV staple for decades.  ...

His daughter says Hall, who was born in Canada, enjoyed his fame and never turned down an autograph or a chance to use his name to help others.

She estimates he raised nearly $1 billion for charity over his lifetime.
link
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:23:25 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1447 on: September 30, 2017, 11:33:42 pm »
____________________________________link
What I find truly impressive is that he was married to the same person for seventy years. On September 28, 1947, Hall married a distant cousin, Marilyn Doreen Plottel (May 17, 1927 – June 5, 2017) You have to wonder if his wife's passing in June was a contributing factor to his passing. RIP Monty, I'm sure you made a heck of a deal!

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1448 on: September 30, 2017, 11:49:12 pm »
____________________________________link

Wow, I did not know he was still alive.

Obscure fact: his name was the basis for a role-playing game term.
Let it burn.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1449 on: October 01, 2017, 12:01:47 am »
What I find truly impressive is that he was married to the same person for seventy years. On September 28, 1947, Hall married a distant cousin, Marilyn Doreen Plottel (May 17, 1927 – June 5, 2017) You have to wonder if his wife's passing in June was a contributing factor to his passing. RIP Monty, I'm sure you made a heck of a deal!

Now he is reunited with his wife in heaven. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Hall.