Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 208437 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2017, 07:54:32 am »
Ex-Boston Drummer Sib Hashian Dead After Collapsing on Cruise Ship

Former Boston drummer Sib Hashian has died, TMZ reports. According to his son, Hashian was performing on stage at the Legends of Rock Cruise when he collapsed and died. He was 67 years old.

Hashian joined Boston in 1975. He played on the band’s 1976 self-titled debut, which includes “More Than a Feeling,” perhaps their best known song. Rolling Stone named Boston the 41st best debut album of all time, praising Hashian’s “climactic drum fills in the final fade-out” on “More Than a Feeling.” He also played on the follow-up (1978’s Don’t Look Back) and began recording on their third LP—1986’s Third Stage—before leaving the band.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2017, 08:45:55 am »
Ex-Boston Drummer Sib Hashian Dead After Collapsing on Cruise Ship

Former Boston drummer Sib Hashian has died, TMZ reports. According to his son, Hashian was performing on stage at the Legends of Rock Cruise when he collapsed and died. He was 67 years old.

Hashian joined Boston in 1975. He played on the band’s 1976 self-titled debut, which includes “More Than a Feeling,” perhaps their best known song. Rolling Stone named Boston the 41st best debut album of all time, praising Hashian’s “climactic drum fills in the final fade-out” on “More Than a Feeling.” He also played on the follow-up (1978’s Don’t Look Back) and began recording on their third LP—1986’s Third Stage—before leaving the band.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #377 on: March 24, 2017, 02:39:08 pm »
Weird. I was thinking about posting a Boston music thread last night. Their debut album was about the only thing we listened to in the summer of '76.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #378 on: March 24, 2017, 02:41:07 pm »
Weird. I was thinking about posting a Boston music thread last night. Their debut album was about the only thing we listened to in the summer of '76.

It was among the very first albums I bought with my own money as a 13 year old.

Offline verga

« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2017, 03:38:57 pm »
It was among the very first albums I bought with my own money as a 13 year old.
@bigheadfred @Cripplecreek That album, Kansas, Left Overture, and Molly Hatchet, got me through 1976.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
@bigheadfred @Cripplecreek That album, Kansas, Left Overture, and Molly Hatchet, got me through 1976.

:thumbsup:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2017, 03:51:54 pm »

That reminds me, my sister bought me a shirt yesterday.

Offline verga

« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2017, 04:46:31 pm »
That reminds me, my sister bought me a shirt yesterday.

@ Cripplecreek  :bigsilly: :thumbsup3:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2017, 04:57:03 pm »
Akron native Lola Albright, glamorous Hollywood actress, dies at age 92

Mark J. Price
Akron Beacon Journal
March 24, 2017

Akron native Lola Albright, the former West High School student and WAKR receptionist who grew up to be a glamorous star in Hollywood, died Thursday morning in Toluca Lake, Calif. She was 92.

Albright was perhaps best-known for playing nightclub singer Edie Hart opposite Craig Stevens in the NBC television show Peter Gunn, which aired from 1958 to 1961. She was nominated for an Emmy in 1959 for the role...

The blue-eyed blonde shared the silver screen with some of the biggest names in show business. She appeared in nearly 40 movies, including Champion (1949) with Kirk Douglas, The Good Humor Man (1950) with her future husband Jack Carson, The Tender Trap (1955) with Frank Sinatra and Debbie Reynolds, Kid Galahad (1962) with Elvis Presley and Les Felins (1964) with Jane Fonda. She also appeared in dozens of TV shows before retiring from show business in the 1970s...
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #384 on: March 26, 2017, 04:23:43 am »
William Clay Matthews, patriarch of a family of pro football stars, dies at 88

Matthews, son of The Citadel's longtime athletic coach H.L. "Matty" Matthews, had a modest pro football career of his own, playing four seasons in the 1950s with the San Francisco 49ers; he was one of the few players who still played both offense and defense. Two of his sons, Clay Jr. and Bruce Matthews, both became bona fide stars in the league, with Bruce eventually reaching the Hall of Fame and Clay Jr. ranking third in NFL history in tackles. Those two sons also had sons of their own that reached the NFL, most prominently Clay III, currently a star linebacker for the Green Bay Packers, but also including Casey Matthews and offensive linemen Kevin, Jake and Mike Matthews. Clay Sr. was also grandfather to tight end Troy Niklas.

Death notice from the Houston Chronicle

Wikipedia

Pro stats
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2017, 03:50:07 am »
Foundations singer Clem Curtis dies aged 76
Continued: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-39410011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHhLiRkxNM

I have heard it, this is an English multi-racial group from the '60s and '70s (they also did "Build Me Up Buttercup" but he'd left the band by then), he is singing in the video.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2017, 03:08:25 pm »
Christine Kaufmann, Austrian-born actress in ‘Town Without Pity,’ dies at 72

Christine Kaufmann, an Austrian-born actress who became the country’s first Golden Globe winner and was married to Hollywood star Tony Curtis in the 1960s, has died. She was 72...

She made her acting debut in 1952 and appeared in European films, including the Italian-made sword-and-sandal drama “The Last Days of Pompeii” (1959) opposite Steve Reeves. Her best-known film was “Town Without Pity” (1961), as a sexily precocious German girl raped by American soldiers occupying her town. Kirk Douglas portrayed the Army defense attorney...
More

Wikipedia

Offline TomSea

« Reply #387 on: March 28, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »
S.African anti-apartheid icon Ahmed Kathrada dead at 87
AFP Relax News•March 28, 2017

Leading South African anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Kathrada, one of Nelson Mandela's closest colleagues in the long struggle against white rule, died early Tuesday aged 87, his eponymous charity foundation said.

Kathrada was among those tried and jailed alongside Mandela in the Rivonia trial in 1964, which drew worldwide attention and highlighted the brutal legal system under the apartheid regime.

He died in hospital in Johannesburg after a short illness following brain surgery.

Kathrada spent 26 years and three months in prison, 18 of which were on Robben Island.

Continued: https://www.yahoo.com/news/african-anti-apartheid-icon-ahmed-kathrada-dead-87-054703647.html

Offline Applewood

« Reply #388 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:04 pm »
In my youth I had a crush on Tony Curtis and was jealous when he married Christine Kaufmann.  She was a beautiful woman and a pretty good actress.  Town Without Pity  was a very good film. 

Rest in peace, Miss Kaufmann.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2017, 12:03:29 am »

Leading South African anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Kathrada, one of Nelson Mandela's closest colleagues in the long struggle against white rule, died early Tuesday aged 87, his eponymous charity foundation said.

Kathrada was among those tried and jailed alongside Mandela in the Rivonia trial in 1964, which drew worldwide attention and highlighted the brutal legal system under the apartheid regime.

Yeah,it must have been brutal in that prison for him to have ended up dying so young. </S>
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #390 on: March 29, 2017, 12:04:57 am »
In my youth I had a crush on Tony Curtis and was jealous when he married Christine Kaufmann.  She was a beautiful woman and a pretty good actress.  Town Without Pity  was a very good film. 

Rest in peace, Miss Kaufmann.

@Applewood

Yes,it was. Didn't Gene Pitney sing the title song? 
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #391 on: March 29, 2017, 12:35:17 am »
@Applewood

Yes,it was. Didn't Gene Pitney sing the title song?

Yes indeed. 

https://youtu.be/ZCRSB8o3CN4

Didn't know Pitney passed on -- heart attack at 66.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #392 on: March 29, 2017, 06:14:06 pm »
Agustina Castro, Sister of Fidel and Raúl, Dies at 78
MARCH 27, 2017
NYT

Agustina del Carmen Castro Ruz, the youngest sibling of Fidel and Raúl Castro, died on Sunday in Cuba. She was 78.

The cause was complications of an operation she recently had after fracturing a hip, her sister Juanita Castro said, adding that Agustina had been in poor health for more than a year.

Agustina Castro, the youngest of seven siblings, never served in the Cuban government and kept a low profile, in contrast to her two brothers, who have collectively run the country for nearly 60 years. Her sister Juanita is a prominent member of the Cuban-American activist community in South Florida.

Fidel Castro died in November at 90, a little over a decade after he stepped down as president of Cuba, citing severe illness. Raúl Castro, who succeeded him, turns 86 in June.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2017, 09:00:23 pm »
Ruben Amaro Sr. dies at 81

Ruben Amaro Sr., who played a role in the Phillies greatest successes but was forever haunted by his part in the franchise's most infamous failure, died Friday in a Miami nursing home. He was 81...

A native of Mexico with roots in Cuba, Mr. Amaro was instrumental in helping the Phillies make inroads in Latin America, aiding in the signing of such talents as Julio Franco and Juan Samuel.

But he will be best remembered in Philadelphia as a Gold Glove-winning shortstop on Gene Mauch's ill-fated 1964 Phillies, the team that blew a lead of 6 1/2 games in the last two weeks of the season...
More

Wikipedia

Career stats

@EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #394 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:35 pm »
You can get the complete story of the 1964 Phillies and their aftermath in this book:

RIP Mr. Amaro. You weren't even close to one of the big causes of The Phold . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2017, 03:30:16 am »
Gilbert Baker, LGBT rainbow flag creator, dies aged 65
Gilbert Baker, the San-Francisco-based artist who created the rainbow flag as a symbol for the gay community, has died aged 65, US media report.

The San Francisco Chronicle said Mr Baker died in his sleep at his home in New York on Thursday night.

He initially designed an eight-colour flag in 1978 for the city's gay freedom day, the precursor to the modern pride parade.

Continued: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39462530

I thought I heard they got the rainbow flag though from some other group originally, something like that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:01 am »
I thought I heard they got the rainbow flag though from some other group originally, something like that.
Nah. They stole it from this guy....
Genesis 9:13
I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #397 on: April 01, 2017, 04:17:18 pm »
Nah. They stole it from this guy....
Genesis 9:13

I thought he stole the idea from The Rainbow Man Jesus freak from sports events in the 70's.

The guy is doing life in prison now for flipping his wig. Parole eligble (again) this year.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:16 pm »
Acclaimed Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko dies in Oklahoma

Acclaimed Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko, whose work focused on war atrocities and denounced anti-Semitism and tyrannical dictators, has died. He was 84...

Yevtushenko gained notoriety in the former Soviet Union while in his 20s, with poetry denouncing Josef Stalin. He gained international acclaim as a young revolutionary with "Babi Yar," the unflinching 1961 poem that told of the slaughter of nearly 34,000 Jews by the Nazis and denounced the anti-Semitism that had spread throughout the Soviet Union...

Until "Babi Yar" was published, the history of the massacre was shrouded in the fog of the Cold War...
More

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2017, 04:21:17 pm »
Richard Bolles Dies at 90; Wrote ‘What Color Is Your Parachute?’

Richard N. Bolles, a former Harvard physics major, Episcopal minister and career counselor whose own twisting vocational path led to his writing “What Color Is Your Parachute?” — the most popular job-hunter’s manual of the 1970s and beyond — died on Friday in San Ramon, Calif. He was 90...

Mr. Bolles (pronounced bowls) originally self-published his manual in 1970 as a photocopied how-to booklet for unemployed Protestant ministers.

In 1972, he recast it to appeal to a wider audience and found an independent publisher in Berkeley, Calif., willing to print small batches so that it could be frequently updated. Since then, “Parachute” has sold more than 10 million copies worldwide and has never been out of print...

Richard Nelson Bolles was born on March 19, 1927, in Milwaukee, the first of three children of Donald Clinton Bolles, an editor for The Associated Press, and the former Frances Fifield, a homemaker.

His brother, Donald Jr., who followed his father into journalism, was killed in 1976 in Phoenix when a bomb detonated under his car. Don Bolles was then working as an investigative reporter for The Arizona Republic, and the killing was widely believed to be linked to a series of exposés he had been writing about corporate and organized crime in the state. The assassination resulted in the prosecution of one person but remained largely unsolved...

Full article

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:22:05 pm by Machiavelli »