Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209153 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2017, 12:22:18 am »
Poor Alan Colmes. I remember listening to him back in the early 90s on WABC radio late night.
66 seems young.

Didn't always agree with him, but before he was syndicated he knew his NYC politics and told some funny jokes on air.

RIP.

It is young to me.  I'm 64. 

There were times when Colmes would spout some liberal talking point and I would want to slap him.  But really,  he wasn't as bad as some.  I would have rather listened to Alan Colmes than the hand-wringing snowflakes screaming and shouting on TV these days.

Rest in peace.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2017, 12:59:11 pm »
Bernie Custis, pro football's first black quarterback, dies at 88

Custis emerged as a star at Syracuse University, where he was roommates with future Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis. His three-year tenure at Syracuse earned the attention of the Cleveland Browns, who picked him in the eleventh round of the 1951 NFL Draft, technically making him the first black quarterback in the NFL; the Browns, however, already had a starting quarterback (eventual Hall of Famer Otto Graham) and offered Custis a position on defense instead, which he refused.

With the Browns retaining his U.S. rights, Custis emigrated to Canada and found a roster spot on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats' roster. Custis played the entire 1951 season as the TiCats' starting quarterback, to modest success; even so, the TiCats forced him to switch to running back in 1952, the position he played for the rest of his playing career.

Custis went on to have a long career coaching college and high-school-level football in Ontario, in addition to a teaching career.

Obituary from the Sporting News

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2017, 02:39:48 pm »
Infant who survived in 1920s sideshow incubator does at 96.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/02/24/infant-who-survived-in-1920s-sideshow-incubator-dies-at-96.html

Fascinating obit. Interesting how all those babies were on display in incubators at Coney Island.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/02/24/infant-who-survived-in-1920s-sideshow-incubator-dies-at-96.html

Fascinating obit. Interesting how all those babies were on display in incubators at Coney Island.

Yes, it is, @Freya.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2017, 05:58:42 am »

Dr. Stephan Tarnier used the exhibits to promote the use of incubators in the US and thereby saved many lives.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/coney-island-sideshow-advanced-medicine-premature-babies/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
Bill Paxton RIP

Offline skeeter

« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2017, 03:37:33 pm »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »
http://people.com/movies/bill-paxton-dead-complications-surgery-age-61/?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag
Emmy-Winning Actor Bill Paxton Dead at 61 Due to Complications from Surgery

By Stephanie Petit and Maria Mercedes Lara•@maria_mercedes

Posted on February 26, 2017 at 10:30am EST

Emmy-winning actor Bill Paxton died due to complications from surgery, PEOPLE confirms.

“It is with heavy hearts we share the news that Bill Paxton has passed away due to complications from surgery,” a family representative said in a statement. “A loving husband and father, Bill began his career in Hollywood working on films in the art department and went on to have an illustrious career spanning four decades as a beloved and prolific actor and filmmaker. Bill’s passion for the arts was felt by all who knew him, and his warmth and tireless energy were undeniable. We ask to please respect the family’s wish for privacy as they mourn the loss of their adored husband and father.”

more at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2017, 04:04:54 pm »
Game Of Thrones star and 'Britain's tallest man' Neil Fingleton dies aged 36
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/26/game-thrones-star-britains-tallest-man-neil-fingleton-dies-aged/

Super tall people have to live with the realization that they will probably die young.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:05:59 pm by TomSea »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2017, 07:30:56 pm »
'People's Court' Judge Wapner Dead at 97
  2/26/2017 11:06 AM PST
TMZ

Joseph Wapner, the retired judge who literally changed television as the judge on "The People's Court," has died ... TMZ has learned.

Wapner became an instant sensation when the show debuted in September, 1981.  "The People's Court" was the first TV reality show, and it opened the door to many more, including a slew of TV court shows.

He was opinionated, passionate and irascible as he heard thousands of cases during his 12-year run.

The show became a touchpoint for pop culture.  It was parodied on "Saturday Night Live" and many other shows.  Dustin Hoffman's "3 minutes to Wapner" in "Rain Man" became an iconic expression.

Before becoming a TV judge, Wapner served as an L.A. County Superior Court judge for 20 years.

He was hospitalized last week with breathing problems and his condition worsened, to the point he was taken to his West L.A. home Friday under hospice care.  He died Sunday morning.

Judge Wapner was married to wife Mickey for 70 years.  He had 3 kids.

Joseph Wapner was 97.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2017, 07:58:49 pm »
I couldn't picture him, so here he was:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2017, 09:58:50 pm »
I couldn't picture him, so here he was:

Geez. What's Rusty the Bailiff going to do now?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #237 on: February 26, 2017, 09:59:59 pm »
Bill Paxton dead.

Game over man.

(Language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

Offline TomSea

« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »
RIP Judge Wapner; I really enjoyed that show. From what I remember, Wapner was just pretty straight-forward, no extra bells and whistles, no great judicial wisdom but I guess it was a first of a kind program.

---------------

Judge Judy's neighbor jumped to his suicide in their highrise:

http://nypost.com/2017/02/25/judge-judy-neighbor-jumps-to-his-death/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2017, 10:44:36 pm »
Judge Wapner's years on the People's Court were among the best.  I remember one case where a woman sued a guy who claimed to be a tree surgeon.  She hired him to trim some branches from a tree in her yard, and he literally hacked the tree into oblivion.  Of course, the guy was no tree surgeon.  Apparently, she picked him up in a bar, took him home, they did the deed and at some point, she hired him to do the job. Never bothered to check him out.  Turns out the guy had an extensive rap sheet for assorted fraud and forgery offenses. 

The normally unflappable Judge listened to this story and the expression on his face was priceless.  He was simply incredulous.  He tried to be as professional as possible, while the audience was cracking up.  In the end, he dismissed the case. 

Rest in peace, Judge Wapner. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:45:12 pm by Applewood »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2017, 04:11:20 pm »
I liked watching the show with Judge Wapner and the woman they have now. Wasn't too fond of Judge Judy's husband. Mayor Koch was good, but I personally thought Wapner was better.

RIP, Judge Wapner.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2017, 04:17:43 pm »
Doug Llewylyn and Bailiff Rusty Burrell, it's still easy to remember the co-stars.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2017, 08:15:37 pm »
Ned Garver, 20-Game Winner for the 102-Loss Browns, Dies at 91

Ned Garver, the only pitcher in American League history to win at least 20 games in a season for a ball club that lost at least 100 times, achieving the feat for the 1951 St. Louis Browns, died on Sunday in Bryan, Ohio. He was 91.
More

Wikipedia

Career statistics

@EasyAce

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2017, 08:34:13 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #244 on: February 28, 2017, 09:06:32 pm »
Ned Garver, 20-Game Winner for the 102-Loss Browns, Dies at 91
Take a look at his 1951 teammates.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »
Tom Shinness, musician.
Friday, February 17, Tom Shinness peacefully lost his battle with cancer. We were hopeful in recent months that he was on the road to recovery. Recently, it became apparent that he was slipping away. Tom was full of smiles and jokes in his last days. He was surrounded by family, loved ones, beautiful music and was at peace.

Tom was born on December 1, 1960, in Marion Indiana to David Lester Shinness and Ruth Shinness-Brinduse. He was the youngest of four children; David Shinness, Roger Shinness, and Molly Eastabrook. He is survived by three daughters; Jasmine, Heather, and Ginger Shinness.

Tom spent his life pursuing his passion for music. Most people would say that there wasn't an instrument he couldn't play, but a few that he was most known for were the guitar, cello, and harp guitar. He spent the last twenty or so years living in Nashville Tennessee involved in the music scene there. Tom's passion for music was palpable and affected everyone who interacted with him. He was a welcome addition to any jam session. He created several of his solo albums. To say that he will be sorely missed is an understatement.

The memorial service will be held on Saturday, February 25 at 2:00 pm at Grace Center, 2420 Bethlehem Loop Road, Franklin, TN.
Cremation and Funeral Services of Nashville

Phil Keaggy posted on his own Facebook page:
I first want to say that Tom Shinness was a truly gifted musician. He loved music and as a multi instrumentalist and vocalist, music just poured out of him like living water!

We became friends in the mid 80s. He had told me that he had listened to my recordings with great enjoyment. We shared the stage even back then, playing together songs like The Wind and The Wheat, Find Me In These Fields and some of his songs as well.

We became friends and brothers and shared many of the same musical interests.

In 2007, he suggested we put my Master and The Musician album on tour with a band.I thought that was a big undertaking and I was unsure we could pull it off, but Tom’s faith and enthusiasm won me over and we together assembled a very good band with he and I and 5 more musicians—John Sferra, Rich Hordinski, Joel Jimenez and Bryan and Melissa Lautenbach. We did the whole album with all the parts played well by this gifted band of musicians! In fact, we also did a set of vocal songs too. I’m grateful there is a DVD of this concert.

In the years between 2004 and 2008 we recorded some songs in our respective home studios, which I desire to make available to our listeners and friends soon and have the proceeds go toward his loving daughters and the many medical expenses incurred during his illness. The CD will be called Brothers and Friends.
I visited Tom often over the past few months and we played together on Nov. 30, 2016—his last performance in public.
He was amazing—he gave of himself, his music with heart and joyous passion the whole evening!

I realize, so deeply, what a great loss his passing is to all of us who knew and loved this beautiful, musical man Of God!”

Please visit the included web site and purchase his CDs and downloads. You will be blessed! https://tomshinness.bandcamp.com

Thank you,
Phil Keaggy
Phil Keaggy with Tom Shinness on cello:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-o55x6YUQ
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:42:02 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:12 am »
Take a look at his 1951 teammates.

And ponder this, too: At the end of that 1951 season, Yogi Berra, Allie Reynolds (he'd pitched two no-hitters
that season), and Ned Garver were in a three-way tie for first-place American League Most Valuable Player
Award votes. Yogi won the first of this three MVPs thanks to the voting further down, but it was the first time
such a three-way tie happened in the MVP voting. (Yogi was later quoted as saying he was sure Reynolds
would win the award because of the two no-nos . . . which he caught, of course.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2017, 05:04:24 pm »
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/singer-music-exec-tommy-page-46-dies-apparent-suicide-article-1.2989018

Singer and music exec Tommy Page, 46, dies in apparent suicide
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Sunday, March 5, 2017, 3:56 AM

Tommy Page, a former pop star whose song “I’ll Be Your Everything” went to No. 1 in 1990 and who later became a record company executive, publisher of Billboard magazine and a vice president at Pandora, has died. He was 46.

Excerpt. More at link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTki_oqDLqk
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2017, 05:05:23 pm »
Sad that his life was such that he felt this was his best choice, but happy he succeeded in getting what he wanted.  RIP.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:06:00 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #249 on: March 05, 2017, 05:38:11 pm »
The music industry is in such a bad state, I'm surprised that they (execs) all havent jumped off the Capitol building yet.