Author Topic: Russia does little as HIV cases pass 1 million - NYT  (Read 878 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Russia does little as HIV cases pass 1 million - NYT
« on: December 31, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »
Russia does little as HIV cases pass 1 million
 By NEIL MacFARQUHAR
The New York Times

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia — Quietly, earlier this year, the number of Russians who have received a positive HIV diagnosis passed the 1 million mark, with little indication that the government will commit adequate resources to stem the acceleration of the virus from high-risk groups into the general population.

About 850,000 Russians carry HIV and an additional 220,000 have died since the late 1980s, said Vadim Pokrovsky, the longtime head of the Moscow-based Federal AIDS Center, who estimated that at least another 500,000 cases of HIV have gone undiagnosed.

Although the label “epidemic” prompts denials from some senior officials, experts on the front lines like Pokrovsky are calling it just that. The number of victims constitutes about 1 percent of Russia’s population of 143 million, enough to be considered an epidemic, they argued. Beyond that, they said that heterosexual sex would soon top intravenous drug use as the main means of infection.

Continued: http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/russia-does-little-as-hiv-cases-pass-1-million/

Wingnut

Re: Russia does little as HIV cases pass 1 million - NYT
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:41:37 pm »
Note to self...cancel subscription to "Russian Mail Order Brides".

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:44:24 pm »
There's a lot of chest-beating with the Putin followers, I think a dose of reality is called for.

And, if we co-operated some with Russia, did not deal with them in a condescending way, conceivably, it could be better for everyone.

I think it's always been said, they are mainly dealing with infections per drug use infections.

Basically, Ukraine has this problem too; for those two to be going at it, the countries are actually very similar. From what I know, which can't be taken to the bank but seems so.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:45:40 pm by TomSea »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:14:46 pm »
Wow.  The NYT just discovered bad news in Russia.  What a coincidence.   :whistle:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 11:08:10 pm »
Wow.  The NYT just discovered bad news in Russia.  What a coincidence.   :whistle:

@Right_in_Virginia

This has been though in the news long term; just like the way the IOC, International Olympic Committee had a huge crack down on the Russian sports teams, sometimes you can't make this stuff up. I mean, they were almost not going to let in all of the Russian athletes in the Olympics.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:51:22 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 12:16:19 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Any comment on the topic itself? If we are going off-topic, any comment on the whole Russian Olympic team being banned from participating in the Rio Olympics? Russian rebels shooting down a passenger airline? The 60 deaths in Russia from drinking bath oil lotion as a replacement for alcohol? Or are we talking about only the worker's paradise?

Does one have objections to Vice President elect's Mike Pence's view on Russia? Or are we just going to blindly admire Russia?    :whistle:  Or should I say Russia's leader and not give a darn about the people there?

Some problem that the usual Putin is a savior bullying at TOS doesn't work here?   :troll:  Pence and probably some of Trump's generals aren't going to let Russia bulldoze us like the idiot Russophile propagandists do there.  I don't think Trump appreciates that Russia attacked a Christian nation, besides that, burning Bibles of the Salvation Army.

Sorry the article offended someone.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:41:39 pm by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »
Sorry the article offended someone.
@TomSea
Nothing to be sorry for.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Dartman

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:05:27 am »
From the article ;
Beyond that, they said that heterosexual sex would soon top intravenous drug use as the main means of infection.

Surely that is a misprint? I would think they meant homosexual.
Or maybe they do things differently over there?
Justin Trudeau and Barack Obama say "ISIL". The rest of the world says "ISIS". Hmmm ...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 03:01:36 pm »
@TomSea

What is it you would like from me?