Author Topic: A rare comet is zooming past Earth right now, and you should be able to see it with binoculars  (Read 979 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Forget the New Year's Eve fireworks, NASA has announced that a comet currently zooming through the inner Solar System will be so bright over the next week that we should be able to see it in the night sky with binoculars.

The comet was first detected by NASA's NEOWISE mission in October, and its trajectory is currently taking it on a safe pass by Earth as it approaches the Sun. But as it zooms by, it should be so bright between now and January 14 that we'll be able to see it using just binoculars, and maybe even with the naked eye.

But for keen skywatchers, it should put on a hell of a show. If you want to watch it as it whizzes by, the best place to view it from is the Northern Hemisphere next week, and you should look to the southeastern sky shortly before dawn.

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-comet-is-zooming-past-earth-right-and-you-should-be-able-to-see-it-with-binoculars
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Neat!

I'm getting my dad's binoculars..

Thank you so much for posting. @bigheadfred

Have a very Happy New Year.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer