Author Topic: First Female Infantry Marines to Graduate Boot Camp in January  (Read 1097 times)

rangerrebew

First Female Infantry Marines to Graduate Boot Camp in January
« on: December 31, 2016, 12:02:49 pm »
 First Female Infantry Marines to Graduate Boot Camp in January

Military.com | Dec 29, 2016 | by Hope Hodge Seck

Just over a year after Defense Secretary Ash Carter issued a mandate opening previously closed ground combat jobs to women, the Marine Corps expects to see its first female recruits with infantry contracts graduate boot camp, bringing them one step closer to billets in combat arms units.

To date, 31 female Marines have signed enlistment contracts for previously closed combat arms military occupational specialties, or jobs, Jim Edwards, a spokesman for Marine Corps Recruiting Command, told Military.com.

Of these recruits, 21 have active-duty contracts for "03XX" ground infantry jobs, a field that includes rifleman, mortarman and machine gunner, among other jobs, Edwards said. Nine more have committed to four different artillery, vehicle and air support jobs, including field artillery cannoneer, armor Marine, assault amphibious vehicle Marine, and low-altitude air defense gunner, he said. And one woman enlisted on a reserve contract as a light armored vehicle Marine.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/12/29/first-female-infantry-marines-graduate-boot-camp-january.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:03:45 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: First Female Infantry Marines to Graduate Boot Camp in January
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:38:16 pm »
Well, good luck with that.  That entire policy will be reversed before they get even halfway through their MOS schools.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 07:44:42 pm »
I'm not sure DT will do that.

Either way, the realities of biology will soon intrude and cause changes. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:11:37 pm »
Back during my marathon-triathlon days, I met some women that were extremely fit. My two best marathon (26.2 miles) times were just under 3 hours, and that meant I was running in the top ten percent of men, and near the very top women.

I believe top female athletes like triathletes, could handle infantry training, which I took during my two year stint as a conscript.

Perhaps the toughest test in infantry training is a "forced march" or "loaded march." Carry up to 70 lbs. and complete 12 miles in under 3 hours.

In my experience there are a few women that can complete such tests. Without even crying.

I remember some "men" crying during basic training, which is child's play compared to infantry training. 

I know that some women can perform the required physical tests for infantry. The question is should they be doing so. I previous wars, and in intelligence work, women have held dangerous positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_march

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »
When I went to the graduation of my son from Navy OCS, there were some female Marine DIs that I think could have single handedly picked up the front end of a tank.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 05:45:09 pm »
Marine enlisted infantry traning is oriented towards teaching infantry skills.  It is not intended to simulate the true rigors of intensive infantry action, and is not considered a "weeding out" process.  So yes, so.e females can complete it.

Officer infantry MOS training is much more intensive, and includes high-intensity, high load bearing actions over entended periods.   Out of 30 females - including some extremely fit college athletes - 0 have passed.  And if those women who passed the enlisted infantry training ever get assigned to Fleet units, they will fail as well.

Long-term, female bodies cannot handle the load-bearing, strength/speed requirements of elite infantry activities.  They will break down every single time, and it will get significantly worse as they age.  Either that, or standards/expectations will have to be lowered.