Author Topic: Waste Fraud & Abuse  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Waste Fraud & Abuse
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:27:55 am »
The last time Republicans controlled all 3 branches of government was W's first term (2001).  Even with Tom Delay working the strings in the back room Republicans managed to go on a spending spree that would embarrass a Malibu teenager.  Disgusted voters stayed home next election.  Nancy Pelosi summarily proclaimed a "voter mandate" and proceeded to make Republican's lives hell over the next 4 years.

This time around will things be any different ?  My guess is no.

Slush funds come in all shapes and sizes in Washington D.C.  By my last count there were 634 government agencies, but I haven't checked in a few weeks so that number has probably grown by now.

Many of these agencies are doppelgangers with overlapping functions.  Within each agency budget a portion is set aside for special purposes, re: slush fund.  An agency with a billion dollar budget, for example, may have 100 million set aside for play money.  And that play money is directed by the selected members which oversee that particular agency.  The net effect is that you and I pay a billion dollars in taxes so that a couple of members can have their play money.  That's the way Washington works.

------

Now we have a new sheriff in town and he wants to take away their play money.   To say he can expect some push back is an understatement.  There are way too many Tony Soprano's in Washington to expect them to give up their Cashish without a fight.  Expect to hear, "save the children" early and often in the coming months.

As corrupt as this deeply entrenched system may be, and as enticing as an overhaul may sound, taking a hatchet to that system only largely affects discretionary spending.  The biggest pieces of the budget pie are locked in tighter than a vice.  And addressing reforms to non-discretionary spending ventures into the world of attempting to streamline a system that by its very nature is bureaucratic, obtuse and adverse to action or decision-making.  History shows us that any attempts at streamlining are also very expensive.

------

The question therefore becomes, "how do you get politicians to give up their play money as well as their spending power while at the same time providing a safety net?"

Nibbling around the edges and tweaking systems too broken to fix is not the answer.  It never works and we've seen it tried many times before.  To truly address these endemic issues we need broad-based sweeping changes instead.  Will our new leaders have the courage to seize this moment in history and take the bold steps required to fundamentally change America?

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Waste Fraud & Abuse
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »
The only way this will happen is via an Article V convention that passes constitutional amendments limiting the authority of the federal government radically.  We've tried all the other methods available to us other than a hot civil war, and they've all been defeated by the adminstrative state.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 04:05:19 pm »
The only way this will happen is via an Article V convention that passes constitutional amendments limiting the authority of the federal government radically.  We've tried all the other methods available to us other than a hot civil war, and they've all been defeated by the adminstrative state.

I have to believe you're on the right track there.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:19:15 pm »

Yes.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:36:02 am »
James Madison understood that all forms of government had a fundamental flaw - they are run by human beings.

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself.

Monarchies are dictatorships with no inherent form of self control (checks and balances).  Monarchies come in all shapes and sizes, not just the long line of Kings of England or other dictatorships that come to most people's minds.  They exist in our city governments, state governments and federal government agencies as well. 

Your local department of building permits is often its own little fiefdom whose primary goal is self preservation.  During good economic times high tax revenues allow budgets to expand.  The assistant to the head of the permitting department suddenly finds themselves with their own new assistant.  But when the economy falls the new assistant to the assistant is not let go, services to the public are trimmed instead.  The bureaucracy is not trimmed, services are trimmed.

Chose any governmental department you wish to examine and you'll see this is true.  Your local school district, for example, will have twice the number of workers in "administration" than they did 20 years ago.  The number of teachers on the front lines may have only fluctuated slightly, but they miraculously have twice the number of bosses than the predecessors of a generation ago.  As an example, this chart shows the number of managers vs faculty in the California University system.

As these Monarchies and Fiefdoms grow they become less and less concerned with serving the public.  The original purpose of the bureaucracy is buried beneath their goal of self preservation - retaining benefits, staffing, and budgets.  Look at most any municipality you wish in the United States faced with budget cuts during down economic times.  The first thing they cut is fire department and police budgets.  The most basic of services, those designed to protect the citizens, are the first on the chopping block.

Talk about fuzzy on the concept - these bureaucrats have lost all focus of why they exist in the first place.  To protect the citizens.

When these Fiefdoms grow large and unwieldy the citizens get fed up and demand better government.  In response, bureaucrats promise to launch an investigation, maybe hire a few more consultants, and promise to get back to you.  They investigate themselves.  A year later when the results of the investigation are announced, low and behold they have discovered a few areas where they promise to do better, which of course will require a few extra bucks.

Reports never come back and announce, "Oh my God, we have become a Godzilla rumbling down Main Street destroying everything in our path."

There are no mechanisms in place obliging government agencies to control themselves.