Author Topic: Russian Orthodox Church Angry as State Destroys "Extremist" Bibles (Salvation Army)  (Read 2232 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Russian Orthodox Church Angry as State Destroys "Extremist" Bibles

Spokespeople of the Russian Orthodox Church expressed concern over a court ruling in the Far Eastern city of Vladivostok that outlined destroying 40 Bibles in accordance with the notorious “Yarovaya legislation,” the Vedomosti newspaper reported Wednesday.

Earlier this week, Russian media reported a Vladivostok court handing down a 30,000-ruble ($495) fine to the Salvation Army christian organization for incorrectly marking bibles the organization was distributing. In addition to the fine, the court ordered the books' destruction – 36 Russian-language Bibles and four English-language ones among them.

It is the first precedent of implementing the “Yarovaya legislation” and its harsher regulations for missionaries. “Essentially, the organization was punished for illegal missionary – not terrorist or extremist – activity by destruction of the Bible,” a spokeswoman for the Moscow Patriarchy of the Russian Orthodox Church Xenia Chernega told Vedomosti.

Continued At: https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russian-orthodox-church-concerned-by-far-eastern-court-decision-to-destroy-40-bibles-56672

Offline TomSea

I wonder what was offensive about the Bibles,

But for all the hand-wringing about what our leader did, rightful criticism, this is pretty bad to do as well.

Maybe it is their perception of the Salvation Army?

geronl

Putin made it illegal to share your faith outside of the walls of church, including at home

Offline Idiot

Putin made it illegal to share your faith outside of the walls of church, including at home
@geronl
This is the first I've heard of the destroying of the Bibles.  Do you have  link to news on your above statement? 

geronl

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:46:03 pm by geronl »

Offline TomSea

Also, Russia has cracked down on some outside-of-Russia types of Missionary religions.

See Jehovah's Witnesses and Russia. This is definitely along the lines of religious persecution, whether the normal American or Conservative or whomever care due to it being JWs, is another issue.

Jehovah’s Witnesses targeted by Russia's anti-extremism laws simply for practising their pacifist faith, say campaigners
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/jehovah-s-witnesses-targeted-under-russias-anti-extremism-laws-simply-for-practising-their-pacifist-a6756506.html

If one is interested, there is a whole lot on Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia on the web.

It could be in reference to the laws GeronL is writing about though I think this with JWs has gone on for awhile.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:49:35 pm by TomSea »

geronl

It could be in reference to the laws GeronL is writing about though I think this with JWs has gone on for awhile.

The law was passed in July and applies to everyone, not just JW's

Offline TomSea

Anyway, I do care what happens to JWs, Salvation Army, etc. It shows there is a different set of values. These laws to, seem like they can limit what outsiders/foreigners can do there. The Mormons might be another interesting case.

It's kind of like they have a state religion there, the Orthodox Church.

The JWs, seemed to have been listed per that article above, as much as two years ago.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:10:28 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

2012:
Russia’s Anti-Mormon Campaign
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/09/russia-s-anti-mormon-campaign.html

I'll read that article I posted a bit closer.

Offline TomSea

GeronL is absolutely correct and the article deals with this Yarovaya Law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarovaya_Law

At the same time, they are not real hospitable towards home-grown Yank religions; if I can say that and have shown that.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Its a return to the way the communists did things.

If the only churches operating openly are listed and licensed its easy to check to make sure they aren't straying from state approved doctrine. If the church is operating underground you know its up to something illegal.

It should be noted that Russia has repeatedly failed in their attempts to place constraints on church doctrine. It just led to more resistance and more underground churches. Things like barge churches that sold goods on remote stretches of rivers but also operated as illegal churches that locals could attend a couple times per year.

The "Old Believers" are an interesting bunch who fled to Alaska and other remote places where they still live largely isolated. They're like Amish who love Vodka.

Offline Idiot

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:25:08 am by mrpotatohead »

Offline The_Reader_David

I suspect I'd have no trouble from the Russian authorities if I were to share my faith during a visit there.

Of course I'm an Orthodox Christian.  [:-)====

(That's an Orthodox monastic or clerical smiley -- a kamilavka and a long beard.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online kevindavis007

But people on our side still loves Putin cause they think laws like this is only going after Islam.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

But people on our side still loves Putin cause they think laws like this is only going after Islam.

I don't care if he did just go after islam, he's still a thug.

Online kevindavis007

I don't care if he did just go after islam, he's still a thug.

I agree.. His is a thug plain and simple..

Offline Cripplecreek

I agree.. His is a thug plain and simple..

Hitler probably took out a few criminals the world was better off without along the way but that didn't make him worthy of ass kissing.

Online kevindavis007

Hitler probably took out a few criminals the world was better off without along the way but that didn't make him worthy of ass kissing.

I just don't get the Putin ass kissing.. Don't these knuckleheads realize that if we have these types of laws here (which won't pass thank to our founding fathers), the far left will use laws like this to go after Christianity.  I'm not a fan of Islam, but I happen to quite fond of thing called Freedom.

Offline Cripplecreek

I just don't get the Putin ass kissing.. Don't these knuckleheads realize that if we have these types of laws here (which won't pass thank to our founding fathers), the far left will use laws like this to go after Christianity.  I'm not a fan of Islam, but I happen to quite fond of thing called Freedom.

I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of exterminating some 1.7 billion muslims which some on "our side" seem to think the goal should be. (But don't you dare call them nazis)

I prefer to look to rational modern true American Muslims like Zhudi Jasser for leadership on how to deal with the issue of Islam in America.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:04:05 pm by Cripplecreek »

Online kevindavis007

I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of exterminating some 1.7 billion muslims which some on "our side" seem to think the goal should be. (But don't you dare call them nazis)

I prefer to look to rational modern true American Muslims like Zhudi Jasser for leadership on how to deal with the issue of Islam in America.

Same here.. I don't like the idea of who sale genocide based on a religion.

Same here.. I hope he succeeds in helping Islam starts it's reformation.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jasser calls for a reformation of Islam - for it to become something it is not now. 

Online kevindavis007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jasser calls for a reformation of Islam - for it to become something it is not now.

He has..

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

He has..

And, that is his solution to the "problem of islam".

Offline Cripplecreek

And, that is his solution to the "problem of islam".

In part. He's also spoken of the need to slow down the flow of muslims into the USA for better vetting. Standing in support of muslims who do speak out. End 1600 year old literal interpretations of the Quaran.

I love who Wiki calls his "controversial" funders. Guys like Foster Friess and Frank Gaffney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuhdi_Jasser#Controversial_funding