Author Topic: Modern slavery fears: Nearly 100 held in nail bar crackdown - UK  (Read 591 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Modern slavery fears: Nearly 100 held in nail bar crackdown - UK
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:11:32 am »
Nearly 100 people working in nail bars have been arrested on suspicion of immigration offences as part of a clampdown on illegal working.

Investigators targeted more than 280 nail bars in Edinburgh, London and Cardiff as part of the government's Operation Magnify on "risk" industries.

Immigration minister Robert Goodwill vowed to tackle the "barbaric crime" of modern slavery by targeting businesses.

The government said it would identify and help potential trafficking victims.

Most of the 97 people held were Vietnamese nationals, but they also included immigrants from Mongolia, Ghana, China, Nigeria, Pakistan and India.

Immigration officers visited the nail bars across the UK between 27 November and 3 December.

They sent warnings to 68 businesses that they will pay £20,000 per illegal worker if they cannot prove that they carried out appropriate right-to-work document checks.

Operation Magnify has also targeted the construction, care, cleaning, catering, taxi and car wash industries in 2016.
'Destroys lives'

Mr Goodwill said the operation sent a "strong message" to employers who abuse immigration laws.

"Modern slavery is a barbaric crime which destroys the lives of some of the most vulnerable in our society," he said.

In all, 14 of those arrested were passed to the National Referral Mechanism hub, a service supporting those identified as possible victims of slavery and human trafficking.

Many people working in plain sight in UK nail bars, on construction sites, in brothels, on cannabis farms and in agriculture are in fact suspected to be modern slaves.

Traffickers typically use the internet to lure their victims to the UK with hollow promises of jobs, education and even love - but offer a life of labour exploitation.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38447101

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Modern slavery fears: Nearly 100 held in nail bar crackdown - UK
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:06:09 pm »
Nearly 100 people working in nail bars have been arrested on suspicion of immigration offences as part of a clampdown on illegal working.

Investigators targeted more than 280 nail bars in Edinburgh, London and Cardiff as part of the government's Operation Magnify on "risk" industries.

Immigration minister Robert Goodwill vowed to tackle the "barbaric crime" of modern slavery by targeting businesses.

The government said it would identify and help potential trafficking victims.

Most of the 97 people held were Vietnamese nationals, but they also included immigrants from Mongolia, Ghana, China, Nigeria, Pakistan and India.

Immigration officers visited the nail bars across the UK between 27 November and 3 December.

They sent warnings to 68 businesses that they will pay £20,000 per illegal worker if they cannot prove that they carried out appropriate right-to-work document checks.

Operation Magnify has also targeted the construction, care, cleaning, catering, taxi and car wash industries in 2016.
'Destroys lives'

Mr Goodwill said the operation sent a "strong message" to employers who abuse immigration laws.

"Modern slavery is a barbaric crime which destroys the lives of some of the most vulnerable in our society," he said.

In all, 14 of those arrested were passed to the National Referral Mechanism hub, a service supporting those identified as possible victims of slavery and human trafficking.

Many people working in plain sight in UK nail bars, on construction sites, in brothels, on cannabis farms and in agriculture are in fact suspected to be modern slaves.

Traffickers typically use the internet to lure their victims to the UK with hollow promises of jobs, education and even love - but offer a life of labour exploitation.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38447101

Nail bar? I'm not fluent in british.

:laugh:

Nail salon maybe?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »
Yep. Nails, eyebrow threading, stuff like that.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »

Nail bar? I'm not fluent in british.   :laugh:

Nail salon maybe?

Yes.   ^-^

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:10:52 pm »
Yep. Nails, eyebrow threading, stuff like that.

Was picturing some sort of hipster bar where you can build bird houses or something.  :laugh:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 12:12:08 pm »
 :tongue2:

The British don't do hipster.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 05:22:19 pm »
It's Buzzfeed ..... so yes.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:25:03 pm »
It's Buzzfeed ..... so yes.

:laugh: 

With that response, I now trust your discernment even more than I already had. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 05:31:44 pm »
 :beer: