Author Topic: The late effects of stress: New insights into how the brain responds to trauma  (Read 1005 times)

rangerrebew

The late effects of stress: New insights into how the brain responds to trauma

Date:
    December 28, 2016
Source:
    National Centre for Biological Sciences
Summary:
    A new study has shown how a single instance of severe stress can lead to delayed trauma. A stressful incident can lead to increased electrical activity in a brain region known as the amygdala. This activity is delayed and is dependent on a molecule known as the N-Methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor (NMDA-R), a protein on nerve cells known to be crucial for memory functions.
Share:
    AddThis Sharing Buttons
    Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Google+Share to LinkedInShare to MoreShare to Email

FULL STORY
This is a pyramidal neuron.
Credit: Chattarji laboratory

Mrs. M would never forget that day. She was walking along a busy road next to the vegetable market when two goons zipped past on a bike. One man's hand shot out and grabbed the chain around her neck. The next instant, she had stumbled to her knees, and was dragged along in the wake of the bike. Thankfully, the chain snapped, and she got away with a mildly bruised neck. Though dazed by the incident, Mrs. M was fine until a week after the incident.

Then, the nightmares began.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161228102418.htm
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:32:41 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew

My stress goes to my hair.  My husband had cardiac arrest in a doctor's office across from the hospital.  His visit there was not about his heart.  While he was having this appointment, I went to a local grocery store to pick up a few items.  When I got back to the doctor's office, I was told he had cardiac arrest, the doc had done CPR and husband was in the emergency room at hospital.

I rushed over there and they had restarted his heart and he was in intensive care.  This hit me out of the blue and I didn't know if he was alive or dead while going to the hospital.

The next day I went to my hair dresser and when he started to curl my hair with a curling iron, he said, "Your hair isn't curling."  No matter how long he held the curler around the hair, it would straighten out as soon as he took the curler off the hair.  That had never happened before and I know it had to be from the shock the day before.

I had another hair dresser some years after that, and sometimes she would ask me, "OK, what happened, you lost too much hair at the shampoo bowl."  Luckily, I had gobs of hair.  So, I'm pretty sure my stress goes to my hair.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:20:41 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline mirraflake

@rangerrebew

I had another hair dresser some years after that, and sometimes she would ask me, "OK, what happened, you lost too much hair at the shampoo bowl."  Luckily, I had gobs of hair.  So, I'm pretty sure my stress goes to my hair.

Take biotin..will grow hair on Telly Sevalas..stuff really works and you will be cutting your fingernails every few days

@Victoria33

Offline Victoria33

Take biotin..will grow hair on Telly Sevalas..stuff really works and you will be cutting your fingernails every few days
@Victoria33
@mirraflake

Thanks for your comments.  I take biotin every day, recommend it to all.  However, my hair has always grown an inch a month, and fingernails, toenails grow fast, too.  Also have fast metabolism, 1/2 wine glass of wine is about my limit without it making me drunk.  Been drunk a couple of times accidentally and I can't function, just go to sleep.  I prefer to know what I am doing so I avoid overdoing wine.

Offline Idiot

@mirraflake

Thanks for your comments.  I take biotin every day, recommend it to all.  However, my hair has always grown an inch a month, and fingernails, toenails grow fast, too.  Also have fast metabolism, 1/2 wine glass of wine is about my limit without it making me drunk.  Been drunk a couple of times accidentally and I can't function, just go to sleep.  I prefer to know what I am doing so I avoid overdoing wine.
Could I invite you over for a glass or 3 of wine?  :smokin:

Offline Victoria33

Could I invite you over for a glass or 3 of wine?  :smokin:
@mrpotatohead

My husband said he wished he had known me sooner, he could have saved a lot of money.   :0006:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I wish I was drunk right now.

I'd give anything to be comfortably numb.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️