Author Topic: Law professors agree: University of Oregon can’t legally punish prof for Halloween costume  (Read 677 times)

rangerrebew

Law professors agree: University of Oregon can’t legally punish prof for Halloween costume
Greg Piper - Associate Editor •December 27, 2016

The College Fix is in the midst of our 2016 year end campaign.

Click here to join in with a tax-deductible gift and support original, student-reported journalism!
professor-afraid-tenure-microaggression.ostill.Shutterstock   

Anything can qualify as ‘hostile’ under UO’s reasoning

The University of Oregon is running headlong into decades of legal precedent that says public institutions can’t punish employees for their perceived offensive speech.

Law professors around the country are frowning upon the university’s finding that one of their peers, School of Law Prof. Nancy Shurtz, committed “discriminatory harassment” by dressing as a black male scientist at her Halloween party, to which she had invited her students.

Shurtz and her attorney are looking into “legal options” following the university’s release of its investigative report, which she said violated her employee privacy rights, according to a statement given to the media last week:

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/30507/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:26:51 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The law applies to universities? Since when?

(slightly sarc)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
While I am 100% anti sjw and anti pc blackface is not a wise idea in today's political climate.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
While I am 100% anti sjw and anti pc blackface is not a wise idea in today's political climate.

We can be politically correct while still maintaining standards of common decency or just plain "manners"