Author Topic: Drivers in these 7 states should fill their gas tanks before the new year  (Read 1792 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Mike Murphy
Dec. 27, 2016

Gas taxes rising by more than 7 cents a gallon in Pennsylvania and Michigan

Price-conscious drivers in a handful of states might want to make a stop at their local gas stations in the next few days. Gas prices will increase in seven states effective New Year’s Day, as new state taxes take effect.

Drivers in Pennsylvania will face the biggest overnight hike — almost 8 cents a gallon. Pennsylvania already has the nation’s highest state gas tax, thanks to a 2013 law to tax wholesale gas prices. Sunday’s hike will be the last part of a years-long rollout, and will raise the state tax from about 50 cents per gallon to about 58 cents per gallon. Money from the tax goes for maintenance and repairs to the state’s infrastructure, including bridges and road construction.

More... http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drivers-in-these-7-states-should-fill-their-gas-tanks-before-the-new-year-2016-12-27?link=MW_popular

They always say the new tax money will go to the maintenance and repair that never happens.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
With the wild fluctuations in gas prices, 7 cents is barely noticeable anymore.

Offline endicom

With the wild fluctuations in gas prices, 7 cents is barely noticeable anymore.

Which makes it easier to shift blame to those greedy oil companies. And since the oil companies are so greedy they should be taxed more. For the people. Power to the people.

Online mountaineer

They always say the new tax money will go to the maintenance and repair that never happens.
Especially in Pennsylvania!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

Especially in Pennsylvania!

Indeed!  Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax in the nation and the worst roads in the nation, too.  So where does the money go? 

And by the way, Pennsylvania has a predominantly Republican legislature.  So much for the theory that all Republicans are conservative.

Offline thackney

Indeed!  Pennsylvania has the highest gas tax in the nation

Wow, quite a feat to beat out California, New York and Hawaii.

http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Statistics/Gasoline-Tax-Map.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

"Sunday’s hike will be the last part of a years-long rollout,"

Yeah, sure it will.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

When it comes to taxes -- not really.  Our state motto is "Pennsylvania  -- Land of Taxes."

(I'm kidding, but it should be)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
NJ just had a 23 cent tax increase

At least we still don't pump it.

I didn't know about PA had the highest in the country
Ping @rodamala
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:57:12 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Should be mandatory to post the paid per gallon at every pump. Used to be here inTexas, but not now.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Drivers in these 7 states should fill their gas tanks before the new year
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 03:49:43 am »
Applewood wrote:
'And by the way, Pennsylvania has a predominantly Republican legislature.  So much for the theory that all Republicans are conservative.'

They had a Republican governor back then, too.
Until he signed the gas tax increase!

He ain't the governor no mo'.

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:59:18 am »

And to put things in prospective, the government profits more from a gallon of gas than all the people/businesses that actually produced that gallon of gas. We live in a very corrupt time.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 02:34:18 am »
And to put things in prospective, the government profits more from a gallon of gas than all the people/businesses that actually produced that gallon of gas. We live in a very corrupt time.

If the government actually used the tax to improve roads and highways, then it might be something to swallow. 

What is corrupt is that they ostensibly collect it to pay for these things, but instead use it as slush fund kitty for other projects, resulting in the oil companies being seen to be ripping off the consumer.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mountaineer

Canadians also suffering:
Brian J Munro
January 2 at 11:46pm ·

Hi Premier Notley.

Well, it's day two in your "brave new Alberta" and a tank of gas now costs me $10 more than last week.

Will this make me change my consumption? Absolutely! I won't go to the National Parks in Canada this year with my free "Happy Birthday Canada Park Pass". I won't spend money in my local or provincial economy because you have my money now.

And taking the bus won't work because I live in Medicine Hat - where the bus service is poor enough to make using it practically useless - but the city is big enough to mean walking to work would take me 2 hours one way.

At age 56 I am disinclined to do that - particularly since I was diagnosed with ostio-arthritis this summer and there isn't much meniscus left in either of my knees. Nix on the bicycle, too.

Also - I'll ride a bicycle to work at -25°C regularly when I see you do the same.

And that new, fuel-efficient car I want to buy? Not now. The gas increase alone will cost us $500 to $700 a year, minimum, and I have no idea what will happen to our natural gas costs.

Heating and cooking are going to cost us more. So thanks. Thanks for the motivation.

Thanks for giving me a reason to remember every time I fill up my car that you have taken money from my wife and I and done absolutely nothing to help our community or province.

Thanks for motivating me to do everything in my power to see you and your political party defeated in a manner that will make history in a way that will never be equalled in what is left of our lifetimes.

Thanks. You really have my attention now.

Well now I have to do this!

I am hoping that all of my friends who reads the comments on this post will recognize a few things:

1. This was my opinion and I may be wrong, but I expressed it. You are welcome to respond, but when you do - if you use profane language or are disrespectful to others you are simply showing everyone reading your comments that your input is worthless.

2. The fact that this post is striking such a deep chord IS the issue! Albertans feel disenfranchised and abused. You may also feel this where you are and while we empathize with you - this is our issue. Comparing your context to ours is pointless. If you agree philosophically with the ideas of carbon taxes and government intervention in wealth distribution say so. But implying you are better because your situation is worse is akin to saying you have better answers because your solutions work more poorly than ours.

3. I wish Premier Notley no personal damage or hurt. But I am diametrically opposed to the political and economic platform she and her government are presenting. I will work to defeat the NDP at the next Alberta Provincial Election. I would give my life to protect Premier Rachel Notley until and after then if I had to make the choice - and all of you wishing pain and loss upon her should be deeply ashamed of yourselves. I'm ashamed that you are my fellow citizens.

4. Comment - but do better people!
Posted at the Canadian Conservatives Facebook page.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org