Author Topic: Trump and his team have a new strategy: Ignore the law  (Read 3498 times)

Online corbe

Re: Trump and his team have a new strategy: Ignore the law
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 03:56:10 am »
For the situation to be remotely similar would require Ford to be president and Nixon a cabinet member or something and Ford would have to tell him to go ahead and break the law so he could pardon Nixon.

I doubt Ford ever had any idea that he would one day be president.

I think the point @Weird Tolkienish Figure and I were trying to make is that Nixon was the first Presidential Pardon issued to someone that HADN'T been convicted of ANY crime, That set precedent that obummer will take advantage of without any hesitation and the Courts won't touch it, unless they prove his BC is/was fraudulent and we know that ain't gonna happen, America didn't elect a strong Constitutionalist, this time.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 06:13:15 am »
For the situation to be remotely similar would require Ford to be president and Nixon a cabinet member or something and Ford would have to tell him to go ahead and break the law so he could pardon Nixon.

I doubt Ford ever had any idea that he would one day be president.

Actually Ford and anyone else paying attention at the time, knew from the moment he was selected that he would be president...Watergate had already doomed the Nixon administration by then..

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 06:18:39 am »
   One, of my MANY problems with Trump in the beginning was that grifters like Giuliani, Newt, Christy and Huckabee gravitated so quickly onto the train.
   But it looks as if these fools have been relegated to almost non existence in his Administration, other than to put their foot in their mouth on occasion, I must add he did it quite tactfully and good riddance.
I see them as fulfilling a different purpose. They lower expectations. Just like a grade schooler who announces he thinks he flunked a test and (celebrate!) got a 'C', in order to take the heat off for not getting an A, announcing outrageous intent mutes the merely criminal and makes it seem much more reasonable. Now, that isn't saying Trump has done or even will do anything criminal, but it bears watching, as do they all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 02:35:03 pm »
   I think the point @Weird Tolkienish Figure and I were trying to make is that Nixon was the first Presidential Pardon issued to someone that HADN'T been convicted of ANY crime, That set precedent that obummer will take advantage of without any hesitation and the Courts won't touch it, unless they prove his BC is/was fraudulent and we know that ain't gonna happen, America didn't elect a strong Constitutionalist, this time.

What Ford did, while the correct thing to do to help heal our country, is likely unconstitutional.

A 'precedent' like you are using it exists in the legal framework, not for acts by the Executive.

Some who is more legally-bent can weigh in on whether a person can be pardoned for a crime that he was never accused or convicted of.  I think this is a fairy tale.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »

This is what Newt actually said. Not quite saying Trump should do that, just saying he could. He has diarrhea of the mouth.

Based on that quote from Newt...he's read too many Tom Clancy novels.  That seems to be the SOP for the President in those books...including Jack Ryan...when they do something shady "for the good of the nation".  There always seems to be a pardon locked away in a safe in case they ever get caught.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 04:32:42 pm »
Based on that quote from Newt...he's read too many Tom Clancy novels.  That seems to be the SOP for the President in those books...including Jack Ryan...when they do something shady "for the good of the nation".  There always seems to be a pardon locked away in a safe in case they ever get caught.

Lets not forget, Newt likes to paint himself as the great constitutional scholar. It may very well be true but it seems like he only studied it in search of loopholes or means of fooling the low info voters who inhabit the whole political spectrum.

I learned all I needed to know about Neuticle back in 2012 when he floated his plan to make all illegals into citizens without voting rights. The supreme court would give those citizens voting rights in about 10 seconds and Newt knew it.

Then there was the scramble to hide his second global warming alarmist book. He asked the publisher to withhold releasing the book till after the election.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »
DT is a master of bullying, bribing, and threatening anyone and everyone who dares to get in his way.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 05:24:52 pm »
Headline is cods again.

Not Trump's strategy. Not Trump's team's strategy. A suggestion by Newt, who is decidedly out of loop based on this last week, is all it is.
I can't tell if Newt is clamoring for attention of going Senile. He's sure going out of his way to try and make Trump look stupid. Not that Trump needs the help.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 09:23:25 pm »
I'm going to go for the attention seeking one, based on Newt's past history of not leaving the limelight with speed or grace.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 09:49:02 pm »
This is kind if interesting, because i don't think current ethics laws were drafted with the idea of career, professional business persons in mind.  They were drafted to prevent a revolving door of self-dealing politicians, consultants, etc..

Is it actually wise to discourage highly competent, professional CEO's from entering government service by saying they have to basically eliminate their life's work?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 10:30:46 pm »
This is kind if interesting, because i don't think current ethics laws were drafted with the idea of career, professional business persons in mind.  They were drafted to prevent a revolving door of self-dealing politicians, consultants, etc..

Is it actually wise to discourage highly competent, professional CEO's from entering government service by saying they have to basically eliminate their life's work?

Public service is that.  I think eliminate is too harsh a word. But even if they do, at this point in their lives they have enough money to make it to the end of their lives. And if they are that competent, passing on their legacy should already be in the works.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 02:18:45 am »
DT is a master of bullying, bribing, and threatening anyone and everyone who dares to get in his way.

May seem that way, but I don't see guys like 'Mad Dog' taking that, nor some others like Tillerson.  Some like Rick Perry, yes.

He just might be surrounding himself with other than yes-men by and large.  The future will tell us whether he lets their opinions count, or just 'You're Fired'.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 02:21:51 am »
Public service is that.  I think eliminate is too harsh a word. But even if they do, at this point in their lives they have enough money to make it to the end of their lives. And if they are that competent, passing on their legacy should already be in the works.

I think we need far stricter ethics laws to govern politicians. The American people are repeatedly compelled by politicians to pay tax dollars for projects that those same politicians manage to profit from. I think it was Nancy Pelosi who has managed to increase her net worth by some 2000% since taking office (That's one damn successful businesswoman)

Real estate is one of the dirtiest scams run out of congressional offices. (See Harry Reid)

The fact that anyone wants ethics laws relaxed is all the reason I need to call my congressman and ask that they be strengthened.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 02:54:34 am »
I think we need far stricter ethics laws to govern politicians. The American people are repeatedly compelled by politicians to pay tax dollars for projects that those same politicians manage to profit from. I think it was Nancy Pelosi who has managed to increase her net worth by some 2000% since taking office (That's one damn successful businesswoman)

Real estate is one of the dirtiest scams run out of congressional offices. (See Harry Reid)

The fact that anyone wants ethics laws relaxed is all the reason I need to call my congressman and ask that they be strengthened.

Yeah, they repealed the insider trading law for politicians for what? 2.3 seconds and then were right back at it. I don't see why it should be such a yuge problem for these "CEO's" to conduct their business affairs in the same above and aboard manner that they already are. Without favoritism or influence peddling through their appointments to a Trump presidency.

Hillary and Bill roll into town broke and now are worth plenty. Obama sure did sell lots and tons of books, too.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 01:13:29 pm »
Yeah, they repealed the insider trading law for politicians for what? 2.3 seconds and then were right back at it. I don't see why it should be such a yuge problem for these "CEO's" to conduct their business affairs in the same above and aboard manner that they already are. Without favoritism or influence peddling through their appointments to a Trump presidency.

Hillary and Bill roll into town broke and now are worth plenty. Obama sure did sell lots and tons of books, too.

When a man assumes a public trust he should consider himself a public property. - Thomas Jefferson

Its sad that so many Trump sycophants knowingly and willfully voted for a man they seem to know will break the law. It was an attitude I saw early on at TOS when I was informed that the constitution isn't doing anything for us and maybe its time for a dictator. Pretty low to scream for the conviction of Clinton while wanting to place St Donald above the law.

They think they've won but "If you can't beat them, join them" is not a statement of victory.

geronl

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 02:11:16 pm »
I learned all I needed to know about Neuticle back in 2012 when he floated his plan to make all illegals into citizens without voting rights. The supreme court would give those citizens voting rights in about 10 seconds and Newt knew it.

and it would have been unanimous - heck I would too under that ridiculous scenario.

geronl

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »

her husbands businesses got government contracts I hear

geronl

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 02:14:06 pm »

"Highly competent" at being some of the biggest lobbyists and political donors in the country

geronl

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 02:16:24 pm »

Tillerson's company has spent probably $60+ million on lobbying the federal government during the Obama administration...

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 06:12:41 pm »
Tillerson's company has spent probably $60+ million on lobbying the federal government during the Obama administration...

2nd biggest company only behind Walmart in revenue, so they need to lobby in order to influence any type of law, bureaucrat or politician.  Few exceptions in this country that do not spend money to do that, perhaps none.

And the lobbying dollars per dollar of revenue is a lot smaller than what other companies spend like Boeing or even Amazon.

Why not just condemn everybody who works corporately from being a bureaucrat?

You will be left with most career politicians and educators.  NO thanks.

So exactly what does that have to do with the thread topic of ignoring the law anyway?