Author Topic: Trump and his team have a new strategy: Ignore the law  (Read 3499 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Trump and his team have a new strategy: Ignore the law
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:52:16 am »
Trump lieutenant Newt Gingrich has proposed an elegant solution for all the conflicts of interest swirling around the president-elect and his team of billionaires: Ignore the law.

President-elect Donald Trump, Gingrich said, should let those in his administration do as they wish with their personal fortunes and business interests and pardon them if they are found to have violated laws against using public office for personal enrichment.

"He could simply say, 'Look, I want them to be my advisers, I pardon them if anybody finds them to have behaved against the rules, period,'" Gingrich said on NPR's "The Diane Rehm Show" last Monday.

"Drain the Swamp" is so October.

In another NPR interview on Wednesday, Gingrich said Trump's "swamp" campaign theme had been relegated to the marshlands of history, asserting that "he now says it was cute, but he doesn't want to use it anymore."

Trump, in a subsequent tweet, said he will continue to use the phrase. But former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, who just announced he's setting up a consulting firm that will profit from his proximity to the new president, told Fox News on Thursday that "drain the swamp is probably somewhere down at the bottom" of Trump's to-do list.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/opinion/ct-ptb-milbank-trump-law-st-1228-20161226-story.html
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline corbe

Re: Trump and his team have a new strategy: Ignore the law
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 01:05:00 am »
   His first two appointees, Priebus and Bannon told me he was as endured to Drain the Swamp as he was to Lock her Up, Build the Wall, Deport them All, gotta admit it rhymes, but all the other stuff, we are being led to believe,  is to be determined later by future draft picks.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 01:11:52 am »
   His first two appointees, Priebus and Bannon told me he was as endured to Drain the Swamp as he was to Lock her Up, Build the Wall, Deport them All, gotta admit it rhymes, but all the other stuff, we are being led to believe,  is to be determined later by future draft picks.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 01:32:52 am »
Trump lieutenant Newt Gingrich has proposed an elegant solution for all the conflicts of interest swirling around the president-elect and his team of billionaires: Ignore the law.

President-elect Donald Trump, Gingrich said, should let those in his administration do as they wish with their personal fortunes and business interests and pardon them if they are found to have violated laws against using public office for personal enrichment.

"He could simply say, 'Look, I want them to be my advisers, I pardon them if anybody finds them to have behaved against the rules, period,'" Gingrich said on NPR's "The Diane Rehm Show" last Monday.

This is a terrible precedent. Akin to saying "commit criminal deeds, I will pardon you".

If this actually occurs, I submit it is grounds for treasonable behavior as it is a willful admission to disregard the Constitution's commitment for the President to uphold the laws of this land.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 01:38:40 am »
This is a terrible precedent. Akin to saying "commit criminal deeds, I will pardon you".

If this actually occurs, I submit it is grounds for treasonable behavior as it is a willful admission to disregard the Constitution's commitment for the President to uphold the laws of this land.

In other words, SSDD.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 01:40:21 am »
In other words, SSDD.

The term "Our bastard" comes to mind.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:37 am »
Headline is cods again.

Not Trump's strategy. Not Trump's team's strategy. A suggestion by Newt, who is decidedly out of loop based on this last week, is all it is.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 01:48:15 am »

Was that FDR?

geronl

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 01:50:02 am »
No different than Obama and Hillary

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:52:36 am »
No different than Obama and Hillary

I went into this election with a hope that we might return to some semblance of constitutionalism but it looks like I get to sit back and watch so called conservatives make excuses for actively making things worse.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 01:56:12 am »
Headline is cods again.

Not Trump's strategy. Not Trump's team's strategy. A suggestion by Newt, who is decidedly out of loop based on this last week, is all it is.

Compare it to Trump's self-dealing.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 01:59:19 am »
Headline is cods again.

Very true. Newt is out of his mind. What an jackass. Trump was smart to keep him out of the Presidency after all.

Newt last week said that trump no longer wanted to drain the swamp, was publicly rebuked by Trump, then said "oops, trump is once again draining the swamp", then said congress should repeal ethics laws for trump, now says trump should just pardon anybody.

Newt is like nuttier than any other of the Trumpites.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 01:59:35 am »
Compare it to Trump's self-dealing.

Nope. Trump's self dealing exists. It is fact. It should be talked about, disdained, and punished.

This article is about something that doesn't exist.

There is enough bad shit about Trump without making more shit up.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 02:03:38 am »

Very true. Newt is out of his mind. What an jackass. Trump was smart to keep him out of the Presidency after all.

Newt last week said that trump no longer wanted to drain the swamp, was publicly rebuked by Trump, then said "oops, trump is once again draining the swamp", then said congress should repeal ethics laws for trump, now says trump should just pardon anybody.

Newt is like nuttier than any other of the Trumpites.

I think Newt is saying exactly what Trump wants him to say.

There is no better way to gauge reactions than have someone else float the ideas.

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 02:07:49 am »

This is what Newt actually said. Not quite saying Trump should do that, just saying he could. He has diarrhea of the mouth.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 02:08:39 am »
Nope. Trump's self dealing exists. It is fact. It should be talked about, disdained, and punished.

This article is about something that doesn't exist.

Since this shit is SOP in DC I doubt Trump will change anything.

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 02:11:31 am »
Well... I guess Gerald Ford created the precedent for this kind of stuff in a way didn't he?

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 02:22:55 am »
   One, of my MANY problems with Trump in the beginning was that grifters like Giuliani, Newt, Christy and Huckabee gravitated so quickly onto the train.
   But it looks as if these fools have been relegated to almost non existence in his Administration, other than to put their foot in their mouth on occasion, I must add he did it quite tactfully and good riddance.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 02:46:47 am »
Moved to Opinions as the author intended
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 03:34:07 am »

You're thinking of FDR having said about then-Dominican strongman Rafael Trujillo, when an adviser
called the generalissimo a son of a bitch, "Yeah, but he's our son of a bitch!"

As for Newt Gingrich, he ought to just dry up, blow away, and not give Donaldus Minimus (or anyone) any
more bright, tempting ideas . . . of course, nobody with the proverbial two brain cells to rub together
takes Gingrich seriously anymore.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 03:37:24 am »

There ain't much good you can say about us, but I don't see where that gives people the right to make shit up. All
that bullshit, hell, ain't the truth bad enough for 'em?
---Sonny Barger, then the Hell's Angels president, to
Hunter S. Thompson. (For Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:37:40 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 03:55:25 am »
"new strategy: Ignore the law.."

Seems to be the same strategy the current occupant of the oval office has employed for the last 8 years. But I guess changing the colors of the jersey's makes it "new" :shrug:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 04:08:35 am »
"new strategy: Ignore the law.."

Seems to be the same strategy the current occupant of the oval office has employed for the last 8 years. But I guess changing the colors of the jersey's makes it "new" :shrug:

It seems to do so with every incoming president.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:21:44 pm »
Well... I guess Gerald Ford created the precedent for this kind of stuff in a way didn't he?

Please elucidate for the rest  of us.  Are you implying Ford said he would break the law?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:22:13 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 11:59:26 pm »
Please elucidate for the rest  of us.  Are you implying Ford said he would break the law?

For the situation to be remotely similar would require Ford to be president and Nixon a cabinet member or something and Ford would have to tell him to go ahead and break the law so he could pardon Nixon.

I doubt Ford ever had any idea that he would one day be president.