Author Topic: Trump Tells Twitter He Wants A Super Hornet With F-35 Capabilities  (Read 1104 times)

rangerrebew

Trump Tells Twitter He Wants A Super Hornet With F-35 Capabilities

By: Valerie Insinna, December 22, 2016 (Photo Credit: Airman 1st Class Joshua King/US Air Force)

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald Trump again took to Twitter on Thursday to question the cost of the F-35 fighter jet, advocating for modernization of a fourth-generation Boeing alternative that experts say would not likely be possible.

“Based on the tremendous cost and cost overruns of the Lockheed Martin F-35, I have asked Boeing to price-out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet!” he tweeted at 5:26 p.m. EST.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/trump-tells-twitter-he-wants-a-super-hornet-with-f-35-capabilities
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:51:16 am by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

Re: Trump Tells Twitter He Wants A Super Hornet With F-35 Capabilities
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 01:08:14 pm »
Donald Trump's Dream Fighter Plane Is Just That
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/news/a24482/donald-trumps-f-35-f-18/
Dec 22, 2016

There is no "comparable" F-18 to the F-35.

In his attempts to be seen as a cutter of bureaucratic waste, Trump has found an easy target in defense programs. First came the new Air Force One (which the U.S. does need), and then Trump was on to the F-35. The president-elect is correct, of course, that the Joint Strike Fighter is a bloated, delayed, mess of a program. But the rest is a bit trickier.

The big problem with the incoming POTUS's latest communique by tweet is that there is no such thing as a "comparable" F/A-18 to the F-35. For one thing, the F/A-18 doesn't have the stealth profile of the F-35, something even its enormous budget cannot take away from it. The Super Hornet is a 1990s update of the original F-18, which entered service in the early 1980s. Boeing (which merged with original F-18 maker McDonnell Douglas) made numerous updates to the design. But this is an aging platform, and while Trump can ask Boeing how much it would cost to upgrade the Super Hornet even more than it already has been, there are limits to what can be done.

The second big piece is the "joint" in "Joint Strike Fighter." The Air Force, Marines, and Navy are all planning to use F-35 variants. The Navy's F-35C is built for aircraft carrier landing, something the F/A-18 already can do. But the Marines' case is problematic because they'll be using the vertical-takeoff-and-landing F-35B. There is no VTOL version of the F/A-18....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:31:28 pm »
His IGNORANCE is on FULL display here...

@thackney is pretty much spot on...the F18 would have to be redesigned almost from the ground up...the shell is about all that would be left to start with.

Integration of the systems would be near impossible...

The program is getting costs down, each successive lot is getting cheaper as manufacturing costs are driven down.

If he wants the hundreds of contractors/vendors to work even more strenuously to reduce costs, the SMART thing to do is to talk with them.  Not hang them in effigy in the public square for the mob...TOS is a classic example of what I'm talking about.

By the way, this about the 3rd time I've seen this SAME "tweet" used in an article around here since the 22nd of Dec...just sayin'.   :whistle:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 05:43:04 pm »
I want a cow that gives chocolate milk and poops gold too

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 05:52:33 pm »
He may as well demand a cool flying aircraft carrier like the one in the Avengers flicks.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 05:58:57 pm »
He may as well demand a cool flying aircraft carrier like the one in the Avengers flicks.

I hope he doesn't think of that.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »

Worse, he would demand it for the price of a tugboat..

geronl

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 06:07:21 pm »
Worse, he would demand it for the price of a tugboat..

:silly:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWoMmlROBs
I would like a trip to Europe.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 07:08:40 pm »
I think we should have just elected Duck Dodgers as President.