Author Topic: Why the Education Establishment Hates Cursive  (Read 1899 times)

rangerrebew

Why the Education Establishment Hates Cursive
« on: December 25, 2016, 03:57:16 pm »
December 23, 2016
Why the Education Establishment Hates Cursive
By Bruce Deitrick Price

Modern educators are dismissive of cursive.  Indeed, many are hostile to such a degree that you should immediately suspect that they are up to something.

Here is an education journalist providing the Party Line: "Cursive writing is an anachronism. Spending any classroom time on it is comparable to teaching how to use an abacus: it's interesting as a history lesson, and probably offers some side benefits, but it is not at all practical as a day-to-day skill in the modern, connected world."

A professor of education argues: "Cursive should be allowed to die. In fact, it's already dying, despite having been taught for decades."  (You can depend on education professors to confuse "decades" with "centuries.")

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/12/why_the_education_establishment_hates_cursive.html#ixzz4TrkPVOmW
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline JustPassinThru

Re: Why the Education Establishment Hates Cursive
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:09:50 pm »
A good read, and thought-provoking.

Modern educators are tools of the Left, which as a vested self-interest in NOT educating the young.  They are what they are, their successes are the result, of their contaminating and destroying the educational infrastructure.  Ignorant young people, who of course become ignorant middle-aged people, are the reason the Left has moved out of its hidden cells in Brooklyn and Haight-Asbury and has become mainstreamed.

Someone like Josip Broz Tito would never have come to power in the America of our past.  He'd have remained a test-track laborer at one of the smaller auto companies (which was what he did in Europe before his new career as a despot) and retired on a fitting, but small, stipend.

The Left knows this.  They KNOW their opportunity, ideologically and for personal wealth and power, lies in DUMBING DOWN the kids.  And so far it's working...fifty years ago, Hillary Rodham would have been nothing but a charwoman or librarian.  It's her limits of competence...but thanks to the Left, she can dream of WINNING IT ALL, and almost did.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 04:44:38 pm »
A good read, and thought-provoking.

Modern educators are tools of the Left, which as a vested self-interest in NOT educating the young.  They are what they are, their successes are the result, of their contaminating and destroying the educational infrastructure.  Ignorant young people, who of course become ignorant middle-aged people, are the reason the Left has moved out of its hidden cells in Brooklyn and Haight-Asbury and has become mainstreamed.

Someone like Josip Broz Tito would never have come to power in the America of our past.  He'd have remained a test-track laborer at one of the smaller auto companies (which was what he did in Europe before his new career as a despot) and retired on a fitting, but small, stipend.

The Left knows this.  They KNOW their opportunity, ideologically and for personal wealth and power, lies in DUMBING DOWN the kids.  And so far it's working...fifty years ago, Hillary Rodham would have been nothing but a charwoman or librarian.  It's her limits of competence...but thanks to the Left, she can dream of WINNING IT ALL, and almost did.

I've seen the subject come up at TOS and seen so called conservatives call it a waste of time. Personally I've always said we need to teach cursive for no other reason than to be able to read our founding documents without having to rely on a "scholar".

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 05:09:46 pm »

When did you last see a slide rule? We put men on the moon with slide rules.

It was REPLACED

Noe merely a smartphone app

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 05:09:47 pm »
I've seen the subject come up at TOS and seen so called conservatives call it a waste of time. Personally I've always said we need to teach cursive for no other reason than to be able to read our founding documents without having to rely on a "scholar".
I love paying 3900.00 a year for private school on top of the public school property tax. not. 8888crybaby

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 06:17:16 pm »
When foundational documents can no longer be read by a majority of the public whose lives are still felicitously governed by the principles they enshrine, it becomes easier for those possessed of different or opposite principles to deny the meaning and purpose of those very documents.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 10:02:33 pm »
Public Education is child abuse example #1.502,432

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 10:21:52 pm »
When foundational documents can no longer be read by a majority of the public whose lives are still felicitously governed by the principles they enshrine, it becomes easier for those possessed of different or opposite principles to deny the meaning and purpose of those very documents.

Throughout most of human history education was restricted to the aristocracy partly due to the expense of the hand printed word but even after the invention of the printing press, the aristocracy preferred that the poor not be able to read. Its easier to control the ignorant. Its why it was illegal to teach a slave to read in most places in the final days of slavery.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 10:42:41 pm »
I have my father's slide rule. He used it for college math back in the 50s.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:43:27 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 06:27:36 am »
I have my father's slide rule. He used it for college math back in the 50s.
We used them in High School. I didn't see electronic calculators until my sophomore year in college, about the size of a brick, and that one only added, subtracted, multiplied and divided--no memories. Freshman chem with a pencil and scratch paper...not so bad.

I think the reason the Communists don't like cursive is that handwriting analysis might prove them for the maniacs they are. Those who are unafraid would likely have little reason to be.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis