Author Topic: Court: Climate scientist can sue conservative writers over alleged defamation  (Read 2957 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
An appeals court ruled on Thursday that climate change scientist Michael Mann can sue two conservative writers over allegations that they defamed him.

The case centers on posts written by Rand Simberg in a Competitive Enterprise Institute blog and Mark Steyn on National Review. Among other comments, Simberg called Mann the “Jerry Sandusky of climate science.”

The District of Columbia Court of Appeals ruled that a “reasonable jury” could find that the pieces by Simberg and Steyn meet the standard necessary to prove that they illegally defamed Mann.

“Tarnishing the personal integrity and reputation of a scientist important to one side may be a tactic to gain advantage in a no-holds-barred debate over global warming,” Judge Vanessa Ruiz wrote for a three-judge panel.

[excerpted]

http://www.thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/311495-court-climate-scientist-can-sue-conservative-writers-over-alleged
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This bears watching.

Luckily, Steyn is very able to defend himself. 

geronl

Again?

seriously this is dumb

rangerrebew

I'm certainly no legal eagle but won't the clown bringing the suit have to PROVE global warming is real to get a defamation outcome?

geronl

I'm certainly no legal eagle but won't the clown bringing the suit have to PROVE global warming is real to get a defamation outcome?

Not in Canada apparently. Heck in the UK you can tell the truth about someone and he charged with it.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Not in Canada apparently. Heck in the UK you can tell the truth about someone and he charged with it.

This was in D.C.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Just_Victor

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Oceander

This has been going on for years. 

geronl

This was in D.C.

Mann shouldn't stand a chance in a US court. Steyn already beat his court challenges in Canada

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I remember reading about this case and IMO, Steyn used poor judgement here.

I know that I won't win many friends with that opinion but...

Juries won't find comparison with a child molester very funny.

geronl

Juries won't find comparison with a child molester very funny.

Worked for Trump, completely destroyed the Ben Carson campaign who was ahead at the time

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

And the prize goes to post #10

......for turning a completely unrelated topic, to the Republican President elect

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Data schmata.  We don't need no stinkin' data.

The main issue with people like Mann (and the EPA) is the data they use to make their predictions (and laws).  As the old saying goes, "crap in, crap out".

When people like Steyn criticize these alarmists they most often do so by pinpoint flaws in the data.  As an example, say an equation consists of 4 parts and 3 of those parts have some basis in fact.  But the 1 remaining party is fuzzy, very fuzzy.  It only takes 1 part of an equation to be fabricated to throw off the entire equation.

That is the basis of most of the arguments against these alarmists.  In the case of the EPA they keep their calculations secret and have even defied demands from Congress to reveal their secrets.

--------

The issue illustrated above begets another problem.  While the quacks and the quack attackers receive all the headlines there are real scientists out there doing real scientific research.  They don't get any headlines, but they do receive death threats.   The upshot is we never get to engage in any sort of real adult conversation on the topic.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In a civil suit, it is a preponderance of evidence (AKA "expert opinions") which wins, not a standard of 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. While the latter would be difficult to attain (partly because of the bunk the warmists have put up, and partly because they would have to provide hard evidence that wrong had been committed), the former standard is a much lower bar.
Unless the defense attorneys succeed in having the (non cherry picked, non adjusted, non interpolated) evidence provided to the jury (and assuming the jury understands what is being said and doesn't just go glassy-eyed), the likelihood of a favorable verdict is less.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:26:08 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical

Problem is Mann was compared to a child molester, the suit is not about the merits of AGW in and of itself. Way easier to prove he was defamed wrong as a child molester.

Offline Smokin Joe

Problem is Mann was compared to a child molester, the suit is not about the merits of AGW in and of itself. Way easier to prove he was defamed wrong as a child molester.
Comparing him to one and accusing him of being one are two different things.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical
Comparing him to one and accusing him of being one are two different things.

IMO it was a mistake. Steyn did it in a way that leaves some wriggle room in either direction and a jury will have to decide.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Even harder, doesn't one have to prove that warming the earth is actually bad?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Quote from: rangerrebew on December 23, 2016, 01:11:03 PM

AND, that it's human-caused.

Offline Smokin Joe

I think the "Anthropogenic" part is the one that won't pass muster. Certainly, the amount of warming has been far less than projected, in fact there has even been cooling, which is why the spiel went from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change". No argument climate changes, but the assertion that humans are the forcing agent has a long way to go to be proven, especially in view of past climate changes.

About the only argument that can be successfully made deals with urban heat islands, and because many of the historical measuring sites have been surrounded by pavement and urbanization, temperature readings in those locations show an (anticipated) upward trend. This, however is a local effect that contributes to measurement error over broader regions, not a function of global climate change.

The number of sites compromised by development is staggering, as a percentage, and this artifact accounts for a portion of apparent warming. One source: http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/17/exclusive-noaa-relies-on-compromised-thermometers-that-inflate-u-s-warming-trend/

Another http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2010/02/26/climate-data-compromised-by-heat-sources.html

More info on proper siting and maintenance:http://extension.arizona.edu/sites/extension.arizona.edu/files/pubs/az1260.pdf

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
I think the "Anthropogenic" part is the one that won't pass muster. Certainly, the amount of warming has been far less than projected, in fact there has even been cooling, which is why the spiel went from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change". No argument climate changes, but the assertion that humans are the forcing agent has a long way to go to be proven, especially in view of past climate changes.

About the only argument that can be successfully made deals with urban heat islands, and because many of the historical measuring sites have been surrounded by pavement and urbanization, temperature readings in those locations show an (anticipated) upward trend. This, however is a local effect that contributes to measurement error over broader regions, not a function of global climate change.

Great points.  And if I published them in the local paper I'd have to move my family out of town due to death threats.

I'm wondering what would be the most harmless, universally acceptable viewpoint on the subject?  Maybe one could say, "I think we can all agree that we must be good custodians of nature".

I just don't know that there is any common ground here.

Offline Smokin Joe

Great points.  And if I published them in the local paper I'd have to move my family out of town due to death threats.

I'm wondering what would be the most harmless, universally acceptable viewpoint on the subject?  Maybe one could say, "I think we can all agree that we must be good custodians of nature".

I just don't know that there is any common ground here.
You are dealing with what has become a pseudo religion. It seeks to preserve dynamic systems, only in stasis. That's unnatural.
Yes, climate changes.
Do humans drive that change? (Very little if at all. It is even statistically significant).

C S Lewis

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
You are dealing with what has become a pseudo religion. It seeks to preserve dynamic systems, only in stasis. That's unnatural.
Yes, climate changes.
Do humans drive that change? (Very little if at all. It is even statistically significant).

Pseudo?
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Smokin Joe

Pseudo?
Yes. There are charlatans playing the 'true believers' for status, wealth and power: Al Gore, for example. Maybe the 'true believers' might see it as a 'religion', but I see dirt worshipers as a cult.

C S Lewis

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Yes. There are charlatans playing the 'true believers' for status, wealth and power: Al Gore, for example. Maybe the 'true believers' might see it as a 'religion', but I see dirt worshipers as a cult.

Being a cult doesn't preclude it's being an actual religion.  There are true believers and charlatans in every religion, I have no doubt about that at all.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!