Author Topic: Army UpGuns Stryker Infantry With 30mm Cannon to Counter Russia in Europe  (Read 334 times)

rangerrebew

Army UpGuns Stryker Infantry With 30mm Cannon to Counter Russia in Europe
[Kris Osborn]
Kris Osborn
Yesterday at 9:32 AM

The massively up-gunned 30mm Stryker cannon will double the range of existing .50-cal machine guns and add precision fires to the Infantry Carrier.

The US Army has now received the first prototypes of a newly-engineered up-gunned Stryker infantry vehicle armed with a more lethal, longer-range 30mm cannon as compared with the currently installed .50-cal machine guns.

The upgraded Stryker vehicle will be known as the Dragoon, the name of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment. The prototype also features a new fully-integrated commander's station, upgraded driveline componentry and hull modifications, according to statements from the Army's Program Executive Office Ground Combat Systems.

Called the Stryker Enhanced Lethality Program, the effort was implemented as a rapid-development acquisition program to better equip 9-man infantry units with combat arms to support their missions, maneuvers and ground-attacks.

http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1714219-army-unveils-new-up-gunned-stryker-variant
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:53:08 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Army UpGuns Stryker Infantry With 30mm Cannon to Counter Russia in Europe
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 08:37:30 pm »
Army UpGuns Stryker Infantry With 30mm Cannon to Counter Russia in Europe
[Kris Osborn]
Kris Osborn
Yesterday at 9:32 AM

The massively up-gunned 30mm Stryker cannon will double the range of existing .50-cal machine guns and add precision fires to the Infantry Carrier.

The US Army has now received the first prototypes of a newly-engineered up-gunned Stryker infantry vehicle armed with a more lethal, longer-range 30mm cannon as compared with the currently installed .50-cal machine guns.

The upgraded Stryker vehicle will be known as the Dragoon, the name of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment. The prototype also features a new fully-integrated commander's station, upgraded driveline componentry and hull modifications, according to statements from the Army's Program Executive Office Ground Combat Systems.

Called the Stryker Enhanced Lethality Program, the effort was implemented as a rapid-development acquisition program to better equip 9-man infantry units with combat arms to support their missions, maneuvers and ground-attacks.

http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1714219-army-unveils-new-up-gunned-stryker-variant

Yeah, a 30mm cannon is much longer-range than a .50-cal, but I thought it was replacing the 25mm Bushmasters, not the M2s.  Whoops, I just realized that the Bushmasters were only on the Bradleys.  So I guess I retract the complaint.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!