Author Topic: What Camera Should I Buy?  (Read 930 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What Camera Should I Buy?
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:04:01 pm »
I used to be an avid amateur photographer, and the last SLR I had was a 35mm.

I foresee a bit more leisure time in my future and would like to buy another good SLR, but digital this time.

I find that I'm thoroughly out of my element, and looking for suggestions.  I had a Pentax, but will probably go Canon or Nikon this time, because of available accessories and lenses. I don't want to break the bank, but I want a good instrument.

I know @Cripplecreek takes some spectacular photos and I think we may have some others out there.  Any suggestions?  What should I look for and what should I avoid?  Makes and models?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: What Camera Should I Buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:31 pm »
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and it does a very good job. Nice high quality pictures. Easy to use whether you leave it on full auto dummy mode and easy to play with the settings if that is your thing. Other than an old Konica SLR 35mm I used to use, it's been my only camera for about 8 years and no complaints.

My advise is pay the big bucks for a SLR but you probably don't need the biggest and best one out there to get the capabilities you want. Save your money for a lenses, filters and a couple spare batteries.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:14:23 pm »
I believe @AbaraXas  is a semi-pro photographer.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 10:44:35 pm »
@Sanguine

Photography has been a hobby of mine for over 50 years.   Always preferred Canon, and had the A-1 with a family of different lenses.

The A-1 died and went out and purchased a Rebel.   After 1-1/2 years, it stopped working...took it for repair and they wanted $300. to look at it, with the cost of any circuit credited toward the $300.

Screw that....I went and bought a Canon Rebel T5i....which was lost with all my lenses.

One caveat for the Canon Rebel series....don't know if it applies to all....

The auto focus mode...which for my 70 year old eyes is a MUST-HAVE....works against you in too many situations.  Tooooo slow!

Not only action, but group shots...where somebody scratches their nose and turns their head in a posed shot....the frigging camera keeps resetting to the focal point.

I HATED IT!    90% of my intended shots were impossible.     
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:46:24 pm »
A Canon Rebel SLR is a good starter camera at a reasonable price.

I'm still using the one I bought nearly 10 years ago for $500

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:50:16 pm »
A Canon Rebel SLR is a good starter camera at a reasonable price.

I'm still using the one I bought nearly 10 years ago for $500

Awesome shot. All I need is to get some hot chicks to pose for me like you do...  :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour