Author Topic: Real Science Inspires Voyage to the Stars in 'Passengers'  (Read 2065 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Real Science Inspires Voyage to the Stars in 'Passengers'
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:39:36 am »

The new space flick "Passengers" takes place in a far-off, science-fiction future, but modern-day science is laying the groundwork to turn some of those fictional elements into reality.

At a panel discussion Sony Pictures held earlier this month, two real-world scientists talked about two key scientific elements that were portrayed in the film: the search for Earth-like planets around other stars, and placing humans into temporary stasis (a state that's like hibernation) for trips through space.

The scientists were joined by "Passengers" screenwriter John Spaights, who talked about some of the real science that inspired the movie.

The story of "Passengers" revolves around a spaceship full of more than 5,000 people who are placed in a state of hibernation for the duration of a 120-year-long journey to a distant planet. When two of the passengers wake up 90 years too early, they have to find a way to accept their fate.

John Bradford is an aerospace engineer and COO of SpaceWorks Enterprises, a company that, among other things, received a grant from NASA to investigate a way to place astronauts into stasis (sometimes called a "hypersleep" state) during spaceflight. Bradford explained that NASA might be interested in placing humans into a state of stasis for the six- to 12-month trip to Mars, which would be significantly shorter than the 120-year voyage that's portrayed in the movie.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2016/12/real-science-inspires-voyage-to-stars.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Real Science Inspires Voyage to the Stars in 'Passengers'
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 02:09:32 am »
I might see this one on Christmas.

Sounds like a slightly different take on Pandorum.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 12:55:15 pm »

Sounds like a slightly different take on Pandorum.

That is how I see it.. To me Pandorum had it right.  Have a rotating crew to maintain the ship. I'm waiting for this movie when it is free streaming.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 02:06:29 pm »

That is how I see it.. To me Pandorum had it right.  Have a rotating crew to maintain the ship. I'm waiting for this movie when it is free streaming.

I think that one day we'll be able to download human brains into computers or advanced robots which opens up all kinds of possibilities.

One of my sci fi ideas is to send thousands of human intelligence bots and millions of cryogenically frozen embryos. The majority of the bots could be inactive or even exist solely as data to be downloaded into a newly constructed bots upon arrival at the new planet. The newly activated bots could go to the surface of the planet and begin building the necessities of human society. Once the societal needs are met the human intel bots could begin adopting the embryos and raising and teaching their human children.

I wish I had skill for writing sci fi because I've got a whole library stacked away in my head that results from my gift of insomnia.

For instance, if you download the same human intelligence into identical bots at the same time. They're identical at the moment of activation but every second after that makes them more diverse due to different experiences and perceptions.

Or, you could teleport inanimate objects like robots 1000 light years to start a new society on a distant planet while the creator must take a more traditional means of travel taking 10,000 04 50,000 years. In those intervening years the bots created a planetwide civilization, fought global wars, created new religions including one about the coming creator. The arrival of the creator would throw the planet into chaos with the creator being both target and object of worship.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 02:23:57 pm »

I'm not familiar with Pandorum.  I'll have to look it up.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 02:38:26 pm »
I'm not familiar with Pandorum.  I'll have to look it up.

Critics gave it a thumbs down but I really liked it. My only complaint is that you come in at the end of the story. The story of how it happens is told as history through the eyes of a nutcase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71rHVUz-Htg

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 05:31:55 pm »
@kevindavis

The commercials for this one look good. I want to see it, but I am having a hard time getting past Jennifer Lawrence in the lead role. She is such an offensive liberal twit...

@Scutter

That is why I'm waiting for the movie to be either on Amazon, Hulu or Netflix..

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 05:34:52 pm »
Critics gave it a thumbs down but I really liked it. My only complaint is that you come in at the end of the story. The story of how it happens is told as history through the eyes of a nutcase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71rHVUz-Htg

@Sanguine
@Cripplecreek

It is an underrated movie.. That is true, it came at the end of the story. There was talk of sequels to Pandorumn but it didn't do to well. I would have to like to see what happened after the voyage. How life on Tanis was.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 05:39:55 pm »
I think that one day we'll be able to download human brains into computers or advanced robots which opens up all kinds of possibilities.

One of my sci fi ideas is to send thousands of human intelligence bots and millions of cryogenically frozen embryos. The majority of the bots could be inactive or even exist solely as data to be downloaded into a newly constructed bots upon arrival at the new planet. The newly activated bots could go to the surface of the planet and begin building the necessities of human society. Once the societal needs are met the human intel bots could begin adopting the embryos and raising and teaching their human children.

I wish I had skill for writing sci fi because I've got a whole library stacked away in my head that results from my gift of insomnia.

For instance, if you download the same human intelligence into identical bots at the same time. They're identical at the moment of activation but every second after that makes them more diverse due to different experiences and perceptions.

Or, you could teleport inanimate objects like robots 1000 light years to start a new society on a distant planet while the creator must take a more traditional means of travel taking 10,000 04 50,000 years. In those intervening years the bots created a planetwide civilization, fought global wars, created new religions including one about the coming creator. The arrival of the creator would throw the planet into chaos with the creator being both target and object of worship.

@Cripplecreek

Interstellar touched on the subject of Embryo Space Colonization. I'm fine with it. Just as long it is my 'troops' is part of the voyage.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 01:32:31 am »

@Cripplecreek you could ask @geronl
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:33:55 am by kevindavis »

geronl

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:27:25 am »
@Cripplecreek

That reminds me of another old story I never finished. A deep space probe that took centuries to find just the right world without sign of intelligent occupation.  It had the ability to make and "birth" full grown adults once it landed. The landing site had to be temperate and near water and lush vegetation.

In the story the probe landed in a shallow rocky area of a wide but shallow river. First it produced a male who was given the basic knowledge of building a shelter, catching fish (assuming there were any), hunting game and even planting a garden. Then it produced a female of bearing and raising, teaching children and keeping the male in line. (fermented drinks were part of his built-in knowledge because even though the alien water was used in their creation, it was always possible for them to have adverse reactions to it.)

They were also given the idea that eventually they'd like to find another place to live. So they would move on in a matter of months. There were other people and they would generally want more space, even though they got along well.

Meanwhile the probe was spitting out a new male and then a new female every few weeks for 16 months. This way there was enough genetic diversity and different types of knowledge for them to form a rudimentary but primitive society.

Yes, they'd be completely primitive  by design.