Author Topic: Causal links between cannabis, schizophrenia: New evidence  (Read 1610 times)

rangerrebew

Causal links between cannabis, schizophrenia: New evidence
« on: December 20, 2016, 07:00:17 pm »
Causal links between cannabis, schizophrenia: New evidence

Date:
    December 19, 2016
Source:
    University of Bristol
Summary:
    People who have a greater risk of developing schizophrenia are more likely to try cannabis, according to new research, which also found a causal link between trying the drug and an increased risk of the condition.
Share:
    AddThis Sharing Buttons
    Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Google+Share to LinkedInShare to MoreShare to Email

FULL STORY
A causal link has been found between trying marijuana and an increased risk of schizophrenia.
Credit: © openrangestock / Fotolia

People who have a greater risk of developing schizophrenia are more likely to try cannabis, according to new research, which also found a causal link between trying the drug and an increased risk of the condition.

The study from the University of Bristol comes on the back of public health warnings issued earlier this year by scientists who voiced concerns about the increased risk of psychosis for vulnerable people who use the drug. Those warnings followed evidence to suggest an increased use of particularly high potency strains of cannabis among young people. However, experts cautioned that the risks should not be overstated given the need for greater research into links between mental health and illicit drugs.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161219084641.htm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:00:58 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Causal links between cannabis, schizophrenia: New evidence
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:43 pm »
Yes, it's called "self-medication" and has been known for a long time.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 07:29:26 pm »
I have never met a regular pot smoker who was worth a damn.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 07:32:11 pm »
I KNEW IT! :smokin:  @Wingnut
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:32:39 pm by mrpotatohead »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 07:46:27 pm »

I only worry about the voices in my head when they all go silent at the same time.

It makes me think they are on to me, and may be plotting something big against me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 08:32:04 pm »
Yes, it's called "self-medication" and has been known for a long time.

Of course and from the article:

“While some evidence was found to support hypotheses that cannabis use is a contributory factor in increasing the risk of schizophrenia, the researchers were surprised to find stronger evidence that the opposite was also likely. This adds weight to the idea that the drug may be used as a form of self-medication.”

I believe there have also been some studies that would seem to indicate that alcoholics and drug addicts generally have a statistically higher number of mental health diagnoses including chronic clinical depression and bi-polar disorders – often referred to as a “dual diagnosis”.  While alcohol and drug abuse would certainly exasperate mental health disorders, it was found that many were using as a means of self-medication. And those who got clean and sober had a statistically better chance of staying so if they also got mental health treatment.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 08:38:22 pm »
The number of patients with schizophrenia who smoke tobacco is extremely high.

Here's one study. There are a lot more.

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/6/5/327
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:45:20 pm »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 08:51:58 pm »
The study from the University of Bristol comes on the back of public health warnings issued earlier this year by scientists who voiced concerns about the increased risk of psychosis for vulnerable people who use the drug.

So if you are a nut job, you are a nut job whether you smoke a bowl or not. What a terribly uninteresting finding.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:03:08 pm »
Of course and from the article:

I believe there have also been some studies that would seem to indicate that alcoholics and drug addicts generally have a statistically higher number of mental health diagnoses including chronic clinical depression and bi-polar disorders – often referred to as a “dual diagnosis”.  While alcohol and drug abuse would certainly exasperate mental health disorders, it was found that many were using as a means of self-medication. And those who got clean and sober had a statistically better chance of staying so if they also got mental health treatment.

I am a recovered alcoholic, nearing 23 years sober. Not dual-diagnosis, but in my time I have met many that are.

I have heard thousands of people "share" about the high incidence of depression. My sister has severe depression, but neither drinks or has used drugs.

Depression is a very serious problem. Many do attempt to self-medicate, but it rarely works out well, over time. It makes matters worse, and worse.

People with depression, attempting to get/stay sober, still need their depression meds. Sadly some tell them to stop taking the drugs. But that is bad advice. We call that "giving medical advice, without a license." 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 10:15:39 pm »
I have never met a regular pot smoker who was worth a damn.

Same.

Still don't think it should be illegal though.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 11:31:42 am »
I am a recovered alcoholic, nearing 23 years sober. Not dual-diagnosis, but in my time I have met many that are.

I have heard thousands of people "share" about the high incidence of depression. My sister has severe depression, but neither drinks or has used drugs.

Depression is a very serious problem. Many do attempt to self-medicate, but it rarely works out well, over time. It makes matters worse, and worse.

People with depression, attempting to get/stay sober, still need their depression meds. Sadly some tell them to stop taking the drugs. But that is bad advice. We call that "giving medical advice, without a license."

@truth_seeker

Congratulations on your sobriety!!!

My ex-husband (and we are still friends today) is over 25 years sober and I went to many AA and Al-Anon meetings over the years.

Every once and a while I’d hear that sort of “bad advice” from one AA (or Al-Anon) member to another, to stop taking any and all medications that may be mind or mood altering including anti-depressants or medications for bi-polar disorders or even to refuse pain medication after a surgery. Usually though an “old-timer” would pipe up and clarify AA’s position and how “we” are not doctors. I seem to recall that AA has several pamphlets addressing this issue.

The best advice I heard was to be very frank and honest with any doctor prescribing medications about one’s past with alcoholism and or drug addiction, to work with said doctor(s) to find a good balance, one that doesn’t result in overmedication or even to find a primary doctor who he or she are themselves in recovery or has some background in addiction medicine and by continuing to work the AA program, particularly Step 10.

As to pain meds, some of which can be very addictive but also sometimes are very necessary, give the Rx bottle to a spouse or close friend and let them give the med to the recovered person but only as prescribed. And once the pain is bearable/manageable, flush any remaining pills.

It is also good to use good judgement.  My ex had a herniated disc and also suffered from debilitating migraines on occasion so meds were sometimes needed but he put me in charge of giving them to him.   

And after getting sober and working the Steps, he finally came to terms with his past childhood sexual abuse, but in doing so he suffered bouts of extreme depression and anxiety and panic attacks so bad that it sometimes made it difficult for him to function, and so on advice from his AA sponsor, he sought help from an outside professional and took an anti-depressant that also helped with the anxiety and panic attacks and he took those for about two years. He also found a support group for adult survivors of sexual abuse and found out that more than one person he knew in AA had a similar background.

But one time he had a very bad respiratory viral infection that he couldn’t shake and was coughing like crazy for weeks. His doc at the time, who knew he was in recovery wanted to prescribe Codeine for his cough. Although he didn’t have any narcotics abuse in his past he asked the doctor if there was something else he could prescribe that wasn’t a narcotic and his doctor did.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:32:22 am by Neverdul »