Author Topic: Pentagon Accelerates Acquisitions of Ship-Killing Missiles  (Read 483 times)

rangerrebew

Pentagon Accelerates Acquisitions of Ship-Killing Missiles
« on: December 20, 2016, 11:12:02 am »
By Sandra I. Erwin

U.S. Pacific Command asked the Pentagon in 2009 to rush the development and production of sophisticated long-range missiles that, officials insisted, the United States needs in order to stay a step ahead of its enemies.

The Pacific region is far less of a powder keg than the Middle East, but leaders there worry about reasonable hypotheticals like a North Korean nuclear crisis and military provocations by Beijing. PACOM chief Adm. Harry Harris recently accused China of acting in an "aggressive" manner as it builds artificial islands in the South China Sea, and cautioned that the United States should be ready to respond.

The devastating anti-ship cruise missiles that PACOM wants — with semi-autonomous navigation and artificial intelligence features to distinguish hostile from friendly targets and penetrate enemy antiaircraft batteries — typically would require 10 to 15 years to develop and produce in the Pentagon’s traditional procurement system.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=2378
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:12:40 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Pentagon Accelerates Acquisitions of Ship-Killing Missiles
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »
By Sandra I. Erwin

U.S. Pacific Command asked the Pentagon in 2009 to rush the development and production of sophisticated long-range missiles that, officials insisted, the United States needs in order to stay a step ahead of its enemies.

The Pacific region is far less of a powder keg than the Middle East, but leaders there worry about reasonable hypotheticals like a North Korean nuclear crisis and military provocations by Beijing. PACOM chief Adm. Harry Harris recently accused China of acting in an "aggressive" manner as it builds artificial islands in the South China Sea, and cautioned that the United States should be ready to respond.

The devastating anti-ship cruise missiles that PACOM wants — with semi-autonomous navigation and artificial intelligence features to distinguish hostile from friendly targets and penetrate enemy antiaircraft batteries — typically would require 10 to 15 years to develop and produce in the Pentagon’s traditional procurement system.

That's a sound investment.  Build them, sell them to Taiwan.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Pentagon Accelerates Acquisitions of Ship-Killing Missiles
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 06:40:03 pm »
By Sandra I. Erwin

I thought the Navy was buying NSMs from the Norwegians?  Is this in addition, or as a replacement?
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!