Author Topic: GM marks 50-year anniversary of first hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.  (Read 1337 times)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)

http://www.gm.com/mol/m-2016-oct-1005-hydrogen.html?cmp=native_zemanta_GMs_first_hydrogen-powered_fuel_cell_vehicle_marks_50th_anniversaryz1220880outbrain__00c8e13c1b4dbd08a35b361af495798fcf1z#GM.com

Now, if we can just keep the ecoaparnoids from ruining them and simply let free-market capitalism run with it, something useful might actually emerge some day soon!

That was then, this is now...

GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: GM marks 50-year anniversary of first hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:10:09 am »
Hmmmm…

Not marketable then… still yet to be made marketable today...

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 03:15:30 am »
Why.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:36:29 am »
This tech was on it's way to being viable.......until the Obama Regime took them over and told them to drop it to push these collectors items....

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:08:30 am »

The biggest problem with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles is that they tend to overheat and catch fire. Occasionally they would even explode. But, it was not an explosion like you see on TV.

We have all heard of an H-Bomb or Hydrogen bomb. When the hydrogen fuel cells would explode, even though it only happened occasionally, they would level and clear an area of up to 5 miles in radius.

Some consumers considered this to be excessively dangerous, and so sales fell off. Eventually production stopped.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 04:22:35 am »
The biggest problem with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles is that they tend to overheat and catch fire.

So Ferrari 458's are hydrogen powered?

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 04:19:07 pm »
The biggest problem with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles is that they tend to overheat and catch fire. Occasionally they would even explode. But, it was not an explosion like you see on TV.

We have all heard of an H-Bomb or Hydrogen bomb. When the hydrogen fuel cells would explode, even though it only happened occasionally, they would level and clear an area of up to 5 miles in radius.

Some consumers considered this to be excessively dangerous, and so sales fell off. Eventually production stopped.

240b is joking around (Él está tirando de nuestro pelo).

There have never been any incidents of these vehicles blowing up much less, "leveling a 5-mile radius".  heh

Nor are they any more of a fire-hazard than any other motor vehicle which carries potentially-combustible fuel. There are currently three H-models available for sale on a limited basis.
The largest drawbacks are (1) scarcity and high cost of fuel for the cells (2) scarcity and high cost of fuel for the cells (3) scarcity and high cost of fuel for the cells.

As any sort of solution for mass transportation they are a dead end. Until a cost-effective environmentally-salable method for producing large amounts of hydrogen is created, they will continue to be little more than toys for ecopanoids just like electric cars.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:49:26 pm by LateForLunch »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 09:38:39 pm »

240b is joking around (Él está tirando de nuestro pelo).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for pointing out that it was just an internet joke. Nothing more.
I was wondering if anyone would get that.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 12:37:44 am »
Now we all have at least two.

oh wait, never mind

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 12:56:26 am »
This tech was on it's way to being viable.......until the Obama Regime took them over and told them to drop it to push these collectors items....

Come on we haven't have a exploding car since the Pinto and this does it in the garage man so much more convenient.  :laugh: The future is here.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 02:07:29 am »
Fuel cell vehicles have not caught on because hydrogen is extremely expensive to make. It takes more energy to create hydrogen that it puts put in a fuel cell or combustion engine. Making hydrogen is a pretty big business but then end users are all the chemical industries and power plants.

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 04:08:08 pm »
Fuel cell vehicles have not caught on because hydrogen is extremely expensive to make. It takes more energy to create hydrogen that it puts put in a fuel cell or combustion engine. Making hydrogen is a pretty big business but then end users are all the chemical industries and power plants.

Yep! That's one of the nice aspects of Bucky Fuller's super-conducting hydrogen energy grid concept. Surplus power during low-consumption periods could be used to power hydrogen plants to supply hydrogen for fuel cells using electrolysis, which has no nasty by-products.

Since the grid could efficiently transport power from low-consumption areas to virtually anywhere on the grid with little loss of juice, plants could run 24/7 if necessary to meet demand. The same grid for distributing electricity might also be used to distribute hydrogen (by using it for coolant). That could avoid the cost of building supply pipelines for hydrogen separately to supply vehicles.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 03:31:17 am »
Yep! That's one of the nice aspects of Bucky Fuller's super-conducting hydrogen energy grid concept. Surplus power during low-consumption periods could be used to power hydrogen plants to supply hydrogen for fuel cells using electrolysis, which has no nasty by-products.

Since the grid could efficiently transport power from low-consumption areas to virtually anywhere on the grid with little loss of juice, plants could run 24/7 if necessary to meet demand. The same grid for distributing electricity might also be used to distribute hydrogen (by using it for coolant). That could avoid the cost of building supply pipelines for hydrogen separately to supply vehicles.

That still does not get you past the main downside of hydrogen as a fuel. The cost of electricity, even using it at 2AM when it is cheaper, is still higher than the value of the hydrogen used as a fuel to make more electricity later. It takes a LOT of power to break the chemical bond hydrogen molecules have with oxygen in water molecules.