Author Topic: John Deere's Electric Concept Tractor Sparks Interest  (Read 3962 times)

Offline thackney

John Deere's Electric Concept Tractor Sparks Interest
« on: December 14, 2016, 05:59:45 pm »
John Deere's Electric Concept Tractor Sparks Interest
http://www.agweb.com/article/john-deeres-electric-concept-tractor-sparks-interest-naa-ben-potter/
DECEMBER 13, 2016

The tech geeks of the world are all talking this week about a John Deere announcement and video that the company plans to unveil a fully electric, high-power tractor at next February’s Paris International Agribusiness Show. Company officials say the tractor has “the features and functionality of a classic tractor, while providing the benefits of electricity.”

The tractor, dubbed the Sustainable Energy Supply for Agricultural Machinery (SESAM), is still strictly in concept phase. In a French press release, John Deere notes the tractor has two independent electric motors – one for driving, and one for the PTO shaft and hydraulic system.

“When the tractor is stationary, there is no energy loss,” according to the press release. “It produces no emissions and virtually no noise. Currently, a full battery charge can work about four hours in normal use or drive around 55 km on the road. The charging time for it approaches three hours. The lifespan of the battery is approximately 2,100 charge cycles.”

Electrek, a news site that tracks the transition from fossil fuel transportation to electric and other “clean” energy sources, says this concept plugs into a larger industry trend.

“At Electrek, we firmly believe that all forms of ground transport will start to transition to electric propulsion relatively soon,” writes reporter Fred Lambert. “That includes large tractors for agriculture, as demonstrated by John Deere’s latest all-electric tractor concept.

As a farmer commented on the automotive blog Jalopnik, the concept might require some fine-tuning before the agriculture industry embraces it.

“I love the concept as we are always trying to find ways to be more ‘green,’” he writes. “My concern is that in modern farming I sometimes have to drive the tractor 10-20 miles from my maintenance shop to the next field. That doesn’t leave me a whole lot of energy to actually plow my 120 acres and then drive back. There aren’t very many charging stations out in the middle of nowhere.”

Want to see the tractor in action? John Deere France released the following YouTube video, which has amassed more than 125,000 views in less than three weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8t81yYWZmM
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: John Deere's Electric Concept Tractor Sparks Interest
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:06:20 pm »
Coal powered tractors? This seems like a step backwards.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 06:10:01 pm »
I love the way they use "sustainable" in these contexts.

As if we have NOT sustained the internal combustion energy for over a century and will not able to do so for another two centuries if we wanted.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:11:39 pm »
I guess Deere wants to get in on that crony-government gravy-train action.

Somehow they ignore how the game ends...as it did with Fisker and Solyndra and other fake-companies designed as fronts for Rent-Seeking cronies.

The Great Minds at Deere want to jettison their reputation for quality, earned over a hundred years, for an unsustainable game of Free Money.

THIS is what today's universities teach their Business Management grads.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:19:59 pm »

Are you kidding? I would love to have one of those things.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:34:24 pm »

Not me. I like dumping gasoline into the ol' Ford 8N and cruising. Not shoveling coal in between operating the controls.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 06:46:29 pm »
Not me. I like dumping gasoline into the ol' Ford 8N and cruising. Not shoveling coal in between operating the controls.

We didn't have such new fangled gear when I was growing up.  We had to put our 1940 9N together from a couple truckloads of parts.

Today I rather enjoy my Kubota 3901.  4WD is important in my muddy slough.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 11:18:17 pm »

Somehow they ignore how the game ends...as it did with Fisker and Solyndra and other fake-companies designed as fronts for Rent-Seeking cronies.

The Great Minds at Deere want to jettison their reputation for quality, earned over a hundred years, for an unsustainable game of Free Money.

Well, I believe they are simply playing to a niche.  Some people like the electric motor as it is very quiet and easy to get going.

Same with cars.

It will not be Deere's main ground game.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 11:24:35 pm »

It will be a distraction.  An electric tractor will be USELESS.

Look, I'm not down on new technologies that way.  Point of fact, I owned a Zero electric motorcycle for a year.  LOVED it.  Powerful and fast and fun to ride, especially in the city traffic I have to deal with. 

I sold it because of range issues (about 60 miles on a charge) and the difficulty of charging it while living in an apartment complex.  But I'd buy another in a heartbeat, allowing the money and a way to charge it.

But a motorcycle is not a car, which is much heavier and has equipment demands.  And it is not a tractor, which is heavier yet and must generate pulling force, which is its whole purpose for being there.

THE ONLY way this sort of technology will be workable is that they couple electric drive motors to a diesel prime-mover driving a generator, as with a diesel locomotive.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 02:10:22 am »

There is a steam tractor/farm equipment show every year here in Northern Illinoisy. Some pretty cool old machinery that is still working.

http://www.threshermensreunion.org/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:12:00 am by Joe Wooten »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 02:23:43 am »

One of the things I love about my hometown is our 4th of July parade. We have a farm heritage museum and our parade has LOTS of tractors.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 04:22:16 pm »
There is a steam tractor/farm equipment show every year here in Northern Illinoisy. Some pretty cool old machinery that is still working.

http://www.threshermensreunion.org/
Thanks for the link. I'll have to add that to my bucket list.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 01:22:35 am »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:58 am »
Sad to be of the last generations to know what a johnny-popper is. I know one is coming the minute I hear it.

Used to pack silage with an old Minneapolis Moline... Drove every sort of tractor... Farm-all, Case, Massey, Ford, Most of those workhorses are gone now.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 11:35:33 am »
Well, I believe they are simply playing to a niche.  Some people like the electric motor as it is very quiet and easy to get going.

Same with cars.

Four hours of operation and three hours of charge time?
Not a serious tractor.
Up here tractors are going for 12-15 hours a day during planting. If farmers here were forced to use such an arrangement, they'd never get their crops in.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 11:39:18 am »
It will be a distraction.  An electric tractor will be USELESS.

Look, I'm not down on new technologies that way.  Point of fact, I owned a Zero electric motorcycle for a year.  LOVED it.  Powerful and fast and fun to ride, especially in the city traffic I have to deal with. 

I sold it because of range issues (about 60 miles on a charge) and the difficulty of charging it while living in an apartment complex.  But I'd buy another in a heartbeat, allowing the money and a way to charge it.

But a motorcycle is not a car, which is much heavier and has equipment demands.  And it is not a tractor, which is heavier yet and must generate pulling force, which is its whole purpose for being there.

THE ONLY way this sort of technology will be workable is that they couple electric drive motors to a diesel prime-mover driving a generator, as with a diesel locomotive.
Agreed. I thought they had come up with a diesel electric tractor, not battery buggy. D/E's might be an option, but a lot of folks would wonder why they should add in another system when what they use now works.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 12:23:11 pm »

THis would be ok for the guy who just need to use a tractor for short periods.  Like hauling a small amount of hay.   Certainly wouldn't work for big jobs.probably a short life too as the battery life would be a factor.   Buy a new tractor every 4 or 5 years. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »
Four hours of operation and three hours of charge time?
Not a serious tractor.
Up here tractors are going for 12-15 hours a day during planting. If farmers here were forced to use such an arrangement, they'd never get their crops in.

Same as an electric car. A novelty, not for a serious driver or farmer.

Some nut cases like to get electricity for their home from a solar spread which does nothing when the sun does not shine, either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 03:52:55 pm »
Not me. I like dumping gasoline into the ol' Ford 8N and cruising.

I restored a 1941 9N some years back and used it for many years around our property(first tractor I really operated though I have driven other tractors before but usually just moving them etc).  Purchased a brand new 45 hp New Holland 4wd, power steering, incredible brakes, nice seat, great creature comforts-pedal placement ergonomics etc.

I am like the young soldier who saw gay Paree and could never go back to the farm.

@Frank Cannon

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »
The main tractor on the family farm is a 1936 Fordson.  :tongue2:

It works, pulls like a train, is reliable as hell and, since we don't do a whole lot of plowing (hill farm, so there is nowhere to plow), it suits the needs.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink