Author Topic: Carrier to ultimately cut some of jobs Trump saved, replace them with automation  (Read 1728 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CNN MONEY

URL: http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/08/news/companies/carrier-jobs-automation/index.html

by Chris Isidore

It sounded like great news when Carrier said last week that it would invest millions in the Indiana plant it decided to keep in the U.S.

The company's deal with President-elect Donald Trump to keep a furnace plant from moving to Mexico also calls for a $16 million investment in the facility. But that has a big down side for some of the workers in Indianapolis.

Most of that money will be invested in automation said to Greg Hayes, CEO of United Technologies, Carrier's corporate parent. And that automation will replace some of the jobs that were just saved.

"We're going to...automate to drive the cost down so that we can continue to be competitive," he said on an interview on CNBC earlier this week.

"Is it as cheap as moving to Mexico with lower cost labor? No. But we will make that plant competitive just because we'll make the capital investments there.

But what that ultimately means is there will be fewer jobs."

The decision to keep Carrier's furnace manufacturing operations in the U.S. instead of moving them to Mexico will save about 800 jobs out of the 1,400 at the plant, at least in the near term. The company declined to say how many of the plants 800 remaining jobs could be lost to automation, or when.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
SOURCE: CNN MONEY

URL: http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/08/news/companies/carrier-jobs-automation/index.html

by Chris Isidore

It sounded like great news when Carrier said last week that it would invest millions in the Indiana plant it decided to keep in the U.S.

The company's deal with President-elect Donald Trump to keep a furnace plant from moving to Mexico also calls for a $16 million investment in the facility. But that has a big down side for some of the workers in Indianapolis.

Most of that money will be invested in automation said to Greg Hayes, CEO of United Technologies, Carrier's corporate parent. And that automation will replace some of the jobs that were just saved.

"We're going to...automate to drive the cost down so that we can continue to be competitive," he said on an interview on CNBC earlier this week.

"Is it as cheap as moving to Mexico with lower cost labor? No. But we will make that plant competitive just because we'll make the capital investments there.

But what that ultimately means is there will be fewer jobs."

The decision to keep Carrier's furnace manufacturing operations in the U.S. instead of moving them to Mexico will save about 800 jobs out of the 1,400 at the plant, at least in the near term. The company declined to say how many of the plants 800 remaining jobs could be lost to automation, or when.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

How long until Trump starts a Twitter feud with the robots?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Yet another free lunch that didn't come in. Anybody surprised?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Not surprised.  But it will just be manipulated further.  The government is the answer, don't you know.
Sure, if the question is: What is the biggest threat to the US Economy?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

No no no...that is old school.  We are in the age of Trump.  You must feeeeeeeellllll the power coming through his tweeting fingers.  Trump is now the government and so the government is now good (excuse me while a choke).
I find your lack of faith, disturbing.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
And the Luddites will be along any minute now to scream for the destruction of the evil robots.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

??  Did I miss something?  Lack of faith in what?  Or whom?  Am I missing the joke?   I thought we were agreeing in that fun sort of sarcastic back and forth way.  However I am sometimes too fast and sloppy with these posts.  Tell me what I have a lack of faith in.
Yes we are in agreement. I thought you were making a Star Wars refrence and was making a sarcastic response.
Maybe this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I hear Hardee's is hiring.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Trump intervention or not, worker replacement via automation and robots seems to be an ongoing trend in manufacturing these days...

geronl

Trump didn't save anything. It's all blather and big givernment cronyism.

FurriesRock

Yet another free lunch that didn't come in. Anybody surprised?

Nope, not really.