Author Topic: Living Legend Kirk Douglas Turns 100! A Look Back at the Star's Most Iconic Performances  (Read 2577 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ENTERTAINMENT TODAY

URL: http://www.etonline.com/movies/204642_kirk_douglas_turns_100_a_look_back_at_the_star_most_iconic_performances/

by:  Zach Seemayer

Kirk Douglas, one of Hollywood's most celebrated icons, turns 100 on Friday, marking a milestone in a life filled with some of the best roles a star could hope for and some of the best performances anyone has ever given.

With three Oscar nominations and an honorary Lifetime Achievement Oscar under his belt, ET is taking a look back at some of Douglas' greatest films in honor of his special day.

1. Champion (1949)

In one of his first leading roles, Douglas starred as a boxer named Midge Kelly, whose rise to fame and stardom in the ring brings out his vain, cruel side in his private life. The black and white noir drama earned Douglas his first of three Oscar nominations.

2. Ace in the Hole (1951)

In this brooding, cynical noir thriller, directed by Billy Wilder, Douglas plays Chuck Tatum, a disgraced newspaperman who gets a second chance when a mine collapses, providing the perfect, sensational story to restart his career. And he will stop at nothing to manipulate the situation to his advantage.

3. The Bad and the Beautiful (1953)

Douglas earned his second Oscar nomination for his role in this melodrama about the dark side of the movie business. The actor stars as Jonathan Shields, a reviled but successful movie producer who manipulates those around him to further his own career, until one day, he needs help from the people he's screwed over in the past.

4. Lust for Life (1956)

In this emotional biopic, Douglas plays famed Dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh, who went unappreciated and unrecognized during his troubled life, but sacrificed everything for his artistic passion. Douglas' performance in the powerful film earned him his third Oscar nomination.

5. Paths of Glory (1957)

In Stanley Kubrick's acclaimed anti-war drama, Douglas stars as a Colonel Dax, a commanding officer in the French Army during World War I. Dax refuses orders to send his men on a suicide mission against enemy forces and then must defend himself and his company against charges of cowardice.

6. Spartacus (1960)

Possibly his most iconic film, Spartacus tells the story of the eponymous slave and gladiator, played by Douglas, who leads a revolt against the decadent and tyrannical Roman Empire. The big budget historical drama ended up winning four Oscars, including Best Supporting Actor (for Peter Ustinov), Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design

7. Lonely Are the Brave (1962)

In this David Miller-directed drama about individualism, Douglas plays a loner and drifter named John Burns who lives his life like a roaming Old West cowboy, refusing to give in to living in modern society. Soon, he gets embroiled in a jail break that makes him the target of a manhunt. The contemporary Western is considered by many to be Douglas' best work.

Honorable Mentions: The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946), Out of the Past (1947), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957), There Was a Crooked Man… (1970) and Greedy (1994).

Offline SirLinksALot

HIS MOST ICONIC ROLE, AND THE MOST FAMOUS CATCH PHRASE STILL BEING UTTERED TODAY: I'M SPARTACUS

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Lonely are the Brave is a favorite of mine. Kirk Douglas was great in some of those B Western's too: Last Train to Gun Hill, Gunfight at the OK Corral, and of course alongside John Wayne in the War Wagon. Happy Birthday Kirk Douglas.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That's Kirk! Douglas! Dammit! Now sit your pansy candy ass down and start acting like a man, cupcake! I can't stand the sight of ya!
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

"Lonely Are The Brave" was his best. But a mostly forgotten western "Last Train From Gunhill" is up there.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Wow. 100.

Happy Birthday, Sir
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline MajorClay

Spartacus!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

When you think about the fact that he had a massive stroke, he looks AMAZING!

My Dad, who died at 86, was the same age.  His 100th birthday would have been in November.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

The Man From Snowy River.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084296/

I love him in that!  Dual role, very effective.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline DCPatriot

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

@musiclady

The Man From Snowy River just happens to be on Encore-Western Channel this week.

I have seen that movie, literally...DOZENS of times since 1982, the year my daughter was born.   And STILL, when I come across it while holding the remote...it's physically impossible for me to bypass it.  I tear up every damned time.

The story itself.  You can watch it a dozen times and each time see something 'new'.   

The incredible cinema screen play.  The visuals on virtually EVERY frame, let alone scene are a clinic in the use of thirds.

The music score is second to none.  O.M.G.!   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cz5t_hdqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwFKsZhrfM

PS:  I could easily forget all the nasty back and forth between us the past year and a half...IF you could play that!!    :laugh:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:16:42 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline musiclady

@musiclady

The Man From Snowy River just happens to be on Encore-Western Channel this week.

I have seen that movie, literally...DOZENS of times since 1982, the year my daughter was born.   And STILL, when I come across it while holding the remote...it's physically impossible for me to bypass it.  I tear up every damned time.

The story itself.  You can watch it a dozen times and each time see something 'new'.   

The incredible cinema screen play.  The visuals on virtually EVERY frame, let alone scene are a clinic in the use of thirds.

The music score is second to none.  O.M.G.!   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cz5t_hdqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwFKsZhrfM

PS:  I could easily forget all the nasty back and forth between us the past year and a half...IF you could play that!!    :laugh:

Number one:  What nasty back and forth?  I've already forgotten it.  ^-^

As for the movie........ it's my husband's sentimental favorite, and he watches it every year on his birthday and on Father's Day, and I totally agree..... it's a FANTASTIC movie.

Best part......... when Jim goes over the cliff on his mountain horse going after the brumbies and the French Horns scream..

Gets me every time!

Oh, yeah........... and when Jessica starts playing "Fur Elise" with great feeling and nuance after Jim leaves the room.

Oh, yeah.......... and when Clancy tells Jim his father was a good mate.

Oh, yeah.......... and at the end, when Spur says, he's not a boy, he's a man.  And then Clancy says, "The man from Snowy River."

(Can you tell I've watched it a zillion times with my husband?? LOL!)

Offline DCPatriot

Number one:  What nasty back and forth?  I've already forgotten it.  ^-^

As for the movie........ it's my husband's sentimental favorite, and he watches it every year on his birthday and on Father's Day, and I totally agree..... it's a FANTASTIC movie.

Best part......... when Jim goes over the cliff on his mountain horse going after the brumbies and the French Horns scream..

Gets me every time!

Oh, yeah........... and when Jessica starts playing "Fur Elise" with great feeling and nuance after Jim leaves the room.

Oh, yeah.......... and when Clancy tells Jim his father was a good mate.

Oh, yeah.......... and at the end, when Spur says, he's not a boy, he's a man.  And then Clancy says, "The man from Snowy River."

(Can you tell I've watched it a zillion times with my husband?? LOL!)

LOL!    :beer:

Offline musiclady

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Man From Snowy River.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084296/
Yep!

("That's 'H' for 'homeless'". Great show.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline uglybiker

Gee. No mention The Villain?  :tongue2:

nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!