Author Topic: Trump Calls for Stimulus to ‘Prime the Pump’  (Read 4139 times)

Online corbe

Trump Calls for Stimulus to ‘Prime the Pump’
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:30 pm »
Trump Calls for Stimulus to ‘Prime the Pump’

By David Thornton  |  December 8, 2016, 03:18pm  |  @captainkudzu

Donald Trump has again embraced the idea of a stimulus spending bill to help jumpstart the economy. In his interview with Time Magazine for the Person of the Year issue, Trump said that it was necessary to “prime the pump” to increase economic growth.

During the campaign, Trump had advocated an economic stimulus plan that was larger than that proposed by Hillary Clinton. Last August, Trump discussed his ideas on stimulus on Fox Business (quoted in Bloomberg), saying, “Well, I would say at least double her [Hillary Clinton’s] numbers, and you’re going to really need more than that. We have bridges that are falling down. I don’t know if you’ve seen the warning charts, but we have many, many bridges that are in danger of falling.” Clinton’s plan had an estimated price tag of $275 billion.

To pay for his plan, Trump said, “We’ll get a fund. We’ll make a phenomenal deal with the low interest rates…. People would put money into the fund. The citizens would put money into the fund,” he said, adding that he’d use “infrastructure bonds from the country, from the United States.”

Trump’s comments in the Time interview, which was conducted on Nov. 28, appear to indicate that he is not moving away from his plans to spend large amounts of money on an infrastructure stimulus. Trump’s full comment on the stimulus during the interview was vague on details.

“Well sometimes you have to prime the pump. So sometimes in order to get the jobs going and the country going, because look, we’re at 1% growth,” Trump said. “I was taking to the head of a major country, because most of them have called me and I’ve talked to all of them. ‘Yes, we are doing not well, not well. Our GDP is only 4.5%.’ I said wow, if our GDP was 4.5% we’d be the happy – I mean our GDP is probably less than 1% if you think about it. And going in the wrong direction.”

GDP growth in the third quarter was reported at 3.2 percent.

Other members of the incoming Trump Administration have signaled their support for government intervention in the economy as well. In a post-election interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Steven Bannon

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/trump-calls-for-stimulus-to-prime-the-pump/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Trump Calls for Stimulus to ‘Prime the Pump’
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:04:24 pm »
Sounds like lube to me.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:07:45 pm »
Bend over. 

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:13:12 pm »
The support of stimulus spending by the Trump Administration may set up an early confrontation with Republicans in Congress. Many Republican congressmen are deficit hawks who campaigned on cutting federal spending and shrinking the government. Trump’s plans for more government spending will put these Republicans in a crossfire between Trump supporters and debt-conscious voters in their districts.

The conflict will provide a window into the character of the new Republican Party. Will conservative Republicans stand for the traditional Republican platform of less spending and smaller government or will they listen to the siren song of borrowing and spending from the incoming president?

Gee, I wonder how this battle will end?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:15:22 pm »

Gee, I wonder how this battle will end?

Trump will sic his rabid jackals on anyone who opposes him.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:08:21 am »
Trump will sic his rabid jackals on anyone who opposes him.

Might as well just have kept Obama in there for another term.

Same as it ever was.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:15:25 am »
The Resurgent quoting Time Magazine.  This is the best of #fakenews   :laugh:

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 12:25:10 am »

Again @Right_in_Virginia you are attacking the messenger and not the message, so I will repeat TRUMP's own words for you.

“Well sometimes you have to prime the pump. So sometimes in order to get the jobs going and the country going, because look, we’re at 1% growth,” Trump said. “I was taking to the head of a major country, because most of them have called me and I’ve talked to all of them. ‘Yes, we are doing not well, not well. Our GDP is only 4.5%.’ I said wow, if our GDP was 4.5% we’d be the happy – I mean our GDP is probably less than 1% if you think about it. And going in the wrong direction.”

You deny that Trump has discussed Stimulus on numerous occasions?

And one more thing while I'm at it, the poster doesn't always necessarily agree with the premise of the article he/she/it posts, it is just a communal like sharing thing, just in case someone else might pick up some insight or have an urge to rant on me.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 12:46:55 am »
Trump is now and has always been a liberal POS, and he will continue to prove it.

That Time Donald Trump Praised The Stimulus Package On Fox News

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 12:54:50 am »
I will assure Mr. Trump that passing REAL tax and regulatory reform measures will be more than sufficient all by themselves.  No additional stimulus needed or warranted.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:23:42 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 01:15:05 am »
Get ready for Solyndra 2

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 01:20:54 am »

You are stuck on stupid.

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 01:24:45 am »
Trump’s Keynesianism without Crisis

Noah Rothman  / Dec. 8, 2016

“Sometimes you have to prime the pump,” President-elect Donald Trump told TIME Magazine reporters when asked if Republicans in Congress would support his $1 trillion infrastructure proposal. “So sometimes in order to get jobs going and the country going, because, look, we’re at 1% growth.”

That’s textbook Keynesianism. The logic is similar to that which was favored by Barack Obama and his economic advisors in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, but with one key distinction: The crisis it would be applied to address doesn’t exist.

<..snip..>

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/trumps-keynesianism-without-crisis/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:25:16 am by corbe »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 01:25:20 am »

So you're agreeing that it would be absolutely idiotic, utter madness, the mark of an imbecile, to call for stimulus?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 01:26:10 am »
So, other than skin color (orange versus dark brown), what is the difference between Trump and Obama when it comes to economics. 

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 01:26:34 am »
God help us, we (not me) elected Paul Krugman as POTUS.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 01:27:32 am »

Which is quoting Trump.  Are you denying that Trump said what he said?

Clearly, denial ain't just a river in Egypt. 

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 01:28:47 am »
God help us, we (not me) elected Paul Krugman as POTUS.

I know.  Even so, thanks to the Trumpettes we're going to have to suffer him and his depredations as we've suffered under Obama. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 01:38:25 am »
So, other than skin color (orange versus dark brown), what is the difference between Trump and Obama when it comes to economics.

Trump's views are closer to pure Fascist Economics espoused by Mussolini.

Obama has an interesting blend of Hitler, Marx, Mao, and, also, Mussolini.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online corbe

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 01:40:46 am »
    The only thing standing between US and all this spending is Paul Ryan, so we're screwed.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 01:41:44 am »
    The only thing standing between US and all this spending is Paul Ryan, so we're screwed.

No no no Michelle Malkin is very upset Paul Ryan will try to thwart Trump.

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 01:51:21 am »

No no no Michelle Malkin is very upset Paul Ryan will try to thwart Trump.

Ryan never stood up to a black man, I seriously doubt he'll stand up to an orange man.

Maybe Michelle has had a look up Ryan's dress and seen something I thought he lacked.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:21 am »
   Ryan never stood up to a black man, I seriously doubt he'll stand up to an orange man.

Maybe Michelle has had a look up Ryan's dress and seen something I thought he lacked.

As far as standing up to Trump on spending is concerned, I suspect it will be the usual ones, Cruz, Lee, Paul, Sasse and a few others.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 01:59:51 am »
Bend over.

I believe the term is BOHICA.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 02:01:28 am »

@Right_in_Virginia what is factually inaccurate with the story?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!