Author Topic: SSD prices to rise 20-25% in months and continue into 2018 due to supply and demand. HDD's to follow. Prices are already inflated.  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Suppressed

from r/buildapc

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5go9qm/ssd_prices_to_rise_2025_in_months_and_continue/

SSD prices to rise 20-25% in months and continue into 2018 due to supply and demand. HDD's to follow. Prices are already inflated.
Submitted 2 days ago * by Lemmings19

Full article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-hdd-shortage-nand-market,33112.html

If you're planning on buying, do it now. It's only going to get worse.

This will also affect USB memory as they use the same technology as SSD's.

edit: tl;dr
The article linked in this post goes on to explain that demand is higher than supply. This is primarily due to flash memory (which is used in SSD's) being used more and more in mobile technologies such as phones and laptops.

As a result of the increased flash memory usage, HDD's were in lower demand. This caused HDD manufacturers shut down factories for HDD's. We are now in a situation where we do not have enough SSD's or HDD's which is causing a price increase. This is not likely to change for at least one year according to the article.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:34:44 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

Offline Suppressed

People pay for STD's?

Well, if yer payin', you're more likely to successfully obtain them.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Wingnut

Well, if yer payin', you're more likely to successfully obtain them.

Well, there is that! 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I just bought my first SSD yesterday. My WD Raptor was taking about 3 tries everytime to boot it up. So I felt I better replace it before it died.

Years ago I had a drive that failed to boot. I tried over an over. No Joy. So I got a replacement ready to go. I pulled my recalcitrant drive out and stuck it into the freezer. Once good and cold, I wired it back up and it booted first try. I then immediately cloned it. I haven't had to try that again.

Offline DB

I just bought my first SSD yesterday. My WD Raptor was taking about 3 tries everytime to boot it up. So I felt I better replace it before it died.

Years ago I had a drive that failed to boot. I tried over an over. No Joy. So I got a replacement ready to go. I pulled my recalcitrant drive out and stuck it into the freezer. Once good and cold, I wired it back up and it booted first try. I then immediately cloned it. I haven't had to try that again.

Backups are a must.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline Suppressed

The freezer trick saved me once. Did the same thing...immediately cloned!
+++++++++

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
The freezer trick sometimes works for dead laptop batteries as well.