Author Topic: Gen. Douglas MacArthur: "Duty, Honor, Country!"  (Read 290 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gen. Douglas MacArthur: "Duty, Honor, Country!"
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:32:30 pm »
Gen. Douglas MacArthur: "Duty, Honor, Country!"
By CNSNews.com Staff | December 7, 2016 | 11:49 AM EST

Army Gen. Douglas MacArthur (d.1964), who led the major battles in the Pacific during World War II as Supreme Allied Commander, and was in charge of the surrender and post-war occupation of Japan, was relieved of his command in April 1951 by Democratic President Harry S. Truman.

In accepting the Sylvanus Thayer Award on May 12, 1962 at the West Point Military Academy, the five-star general explained the necessity of adhering to "a great moral code -- the code of conduct and chivalry of those who guard this beloved land of culture and ancient descent. For all eyes and for all time, it is an expression of the ethics of the American soldier." This code, he repeatedly noted, could be discerned in three words, "Duty, Honor, Country."  Presented here is Gen. MacArthur's complete speech -- audio and text -- from May 12, 1962.

General Westmoreland, General Grove, distinguished guests, and gentlemen of the Corps!

As I was leaving the hotel this morning, a doorman asked me, "Where are you bound for, General?" And when I replied, "West Point," he remarked, "Beautiful place. Have you ever been there before?"

No human being could fail to be deeply moved by such a tribute as this [Thayer Award]. Coming from a profession I have served so long, and a people I have loved so well, it fills me with an emotion I cannot express. But this award is not intended primarily to honor a personality, but to symbolize a great moral code -- the code of conduct and chivalry of those who guard this beloved land of culture and ancient descent. That is the animation of this medallion. For all eyes and for all time, it is an expression of the ethics of the American soldier. That I should be integrated in this way with so noble an ideal arouses a sense of pride and yet of humility which will be with me always.

Continued: http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/cnsnewscom-staff/gen-douglas-macarthur-duty-honor-country

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Gen. Douglas MacArthur: "Duty, Honor, Country!"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:49:23 pm »
God comes first.

Duty and Honor to Him is primary.

Everything else is secondary.

People tend to forget that.

Putting country before God is how we got into our current state to begin with.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775