Author Topic: Boeing responds to Trump: Air Force One deal is for $170M  (Read 1155 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Boeing responds to Trump: Air Force One deal is for $170M
« on: December 07, 2016, 12:45:21 am »
He was only off by $3.8 Billion.

Boeing on Tuesday responded to President-elect Donald Trump's criticism over the cost of a new Air Force One plane, saying the contract is actually for $170 million......

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/308990-boeing-says-it-is-under-170-million-contract-to-work-on-air-force-one

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Boeing responds to Trump: Air Force One deal is for $170M
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 01:01:28 am »
There is no A/P order to Cancel. Like the story says the only contract issued is the 170 million for the design of the next generation Air Force One estimated to go into service in 2024. Boeing may not even have a 747 Line by the time a contract to build is approved by Congress. The next gen may not even be a 747, but a 777
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline rodamala

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 06:12:59 pm »
Forwarded this to my BA stockholder Trump-Davidian old man with the comment...

"I want you to earn a LOT of money on Boeing dividends... but not THAT MUCH money on Boeing dividends".

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:16:03 pm »
What Trump is doing here is really unusual, and probably could be improved, but the idea of a shot across the bow of federal contractors has some appeal.  I don't think the order will be cancelled, but it may lead to contractors being a bit more frugal for fear of Trump going "Trump" on them.  If it is viewed as sort of the opening gambit in negotiations...it's not bad.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »
Forwarded this to my BA stockholder Trump-Davidian old man with the comment...

"I want you to earn a LOT of money on Boeing dividends... but not THAT MUCH money on Boeing dividends".

I hope he has a sense of humor.   :silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:20:37 pm »
What Trump is doing here is really unusual, and probably could be improved, but the idea of a shot across the bow of federal contractors has some appeal.  I don't think the order will be cancelled, but it may lead to contractors being a bit more frugal for fear of Trump going "Trump" on them.  If it is viewed as sort of the opening gambit in negotiations...it's not bad.

As we should all know by now, Trump's Twitter account is his bully pulpit. At some point, saturation fatigue will set in, and the power of his message will vanish.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:18 pm »

Yes, if he had his facts straight I would agree.  But, he's wrong in this case and that will weaken his position in the future.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 06:25:09 pm »
Yes, if he had his facts straight I would agree.  But, he's wrong in this case and that will weaken his position in the future.

It will be conveniently forgotten by his next tweet.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 06:25:26 pm »
As we should all know by now, Trump's Twitter account is his bully pulpit. At some point, saturation fatigue will set in, and the power of his message will vanish.

Fair enough.  But at least he's using the bully pulpit.  And if there are some threats that are actually backed up with actions, the message will retain power.

I'm not a fan of the tweeting either, but that's apparently who he is, and it is at least one way to communicate directly with people without a media filter.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:52 pm »
There is no A/P order to Cancel. Like the story says the only contract issued is the 170 million for the design of the next generation Air Force One estimated to go into service in 2024. Boeing may not even have a 747 Line by the time a contract to build is approved by Congress. The next gen may not even be a 747, but a 777

The 777 is not a 4 engine plane as required by the secret service.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline r9etb

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:16:42 pm »

Um.... you're really sure you want a president deciding (on a Trumpian emotional basis) what companies get contracts and for how much?

It's not the president's job to negotiate contracts. 

But repeated interference in same would be a good way for his enemies to build an impeachment case against him.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 08:19:57 pm »

The power of his message will always increase, the more he uses Twitter.... of course, the power he'll be increasing is not his own, but that of his enemies, who will use his idiocies against him.

If Trump's people can't keep him off of Twitter, he's going to end up impeached as a result of this sort of thing.