Author Topic: House Republicans derail impeachment effort against IRS commissioner  (Read 1676 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Republican leaders managed to derail impeachment of IRS Commissioner John Koskinen on Tuesday, forcing the debate back to a committee for more study, where it will die when the Congress adjourns at the end of this year.

It was a quiet end to a saga that had bedeviled GOP leaders for more than a year, dating back to revelations that Mr. Koskinen misled a congressional investigation looking into the tea party targeting scandal and former IRS senior executive Lois G. Lerner’s lost emails.

Conservatives had been agitating for impeachment, saying Mr. Koskinen must be punished for defying a subpoena and providing inaccurate information.

Some Republicans have sought a lesser penalty, such as censure, while Democrats have said the entire impeachment drive is misdirected. Those two sides joined forces Tuesday in a 342-72 vote that sent the debate back to the Judiciary Committee.

“Members have different opinions about what to do,” said Rep. Bob Goodlatte, chairman of the committee, as he asked lawmakers to give him a chance to sort things out.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/6/john-koskinen-irs-commissioner-spared-impeachment-/

The reason why so many voted against the ingrained establishment.

Ryan is symbolic of what we need to defeat.

Our Constitution means nothing if we do not implement what our Founders included within it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

Re: House Republicans derail impeachment effort against IRS commissioner
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 01:25:14 am »
                       'Let Him HEAL!!!!' (screamed the Jubilant Crowd)   

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 01:36:45 am »
Gutless cowards! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:47:36 am »
Wow. The GOP folding. What a shock.

Let's hope Donny finally damages the party so bad that the whole thing can be flushed down the toilet and forgotten.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 05:51:38 pm »
And this is why people voted to support the GOP?   ****slapping. Dumb!!!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »
In my opinion the GOP leadership was in on the attack on the Tea Party.  So they have to do this to cover themselves.  If it had been establishment Republicans who were targeted, this would be different.  But they always viewed the Tea Party as the enemy.  This entire episode is shameful.  We the people have lost our government.

The Tea Party will again be their enemy in 2018, but with a twist. Millions of us will stay home in November, and let the Democrats retake Congress. In Texas, Cruz will win re-election, but Cornyn will retire in 2020 after enduring just two years in the minority. Ergo, Ted will become the senior senator from Texas.

If Trump and the Republicans show progress by passing tax and immigration reform, and axing thousands of punitive and costly regulations, then the Tea Party will be the Pubbies' friend, and they'll strengthen their hold on Congress.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:33 pm »
#NeverRepublican

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »
The Tea Party will again be their enemy in 2018, but with a twist. Millions of us will stay home in November, and let the Democrats retake Congress. In Texas, Cruz will win re-election, but Cornyn will retire in 2020 after enduring just two years in the minority. Ergo, Ted will become the senior senator from Texas.

If Trump and the Republicans show progress by passing tax and immigration reform, and axing thousands of punitive and costly regulations, then the Tea Party will be the Pubbies' friend, and they'll strengthen their hold on Congress.

:beer: :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:01 pm »
:beer: :patriot:

Thanks liberty, but my predictions usually are

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:22 pm »
There were never going to get a conviction on him anyway.  He's going to be gone with the new Administration anyway, so what's the point of spending the time/effort now?

Had Hillary won...different story.  You fight just to keep the point in front of the public, because you're not going to be able to pass anything anyway with Hillary as President.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:36:59 pm »
I'm laughing at the idiots who insist that the GOP will be able to hold Trump's feet to the Conservative/Constitutional fire.

They cannot and will not even uphold the rule of law as it currently exists, or punish those who have engaged in corruption, fraud and treason.

Why any sane person imagines they will be able to steer Trump into doing the right things is beyond insanity.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 08:39:52 pm »
There were never going to get a conviction on him anyway.  He's going to be gone with the new Administration anyway, so what's the point of spending the time/effort now?

Had Hillary won...different story.  You fight just to keep the point in front of the public, because you're not going to be able to pass anything anyway with Hillary as President.

Sort of like the pitiful excuse for Trumps repudiation of his solemn vow to go after Clinton.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:24 pm »
Sort of like the pitiful excuse for Trumps repudiation of his solemn vow to go after Clinton.

Uh, no.

We're talking about impeachment, right?  That isn't a criminal sanction -- all it accomplishes is to remove someone from office.  But, the IRS Commissioner serves at the pleasure of the President anyway, so Trump can fire him day one if he chooses.  So it seems like a huge-ass waste of resources and time to go through an entire impeachment/conviction process -- which will fail anyway and therefore be spun by the media as exoneration, when he can be removed from office without impeachment in six weeks anyway.

That's different from the possible criminal penalties that can be imposed on Hillary even if she is not in office.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 08:52:14 pm »
As much as I'd like to see Koskinen impeached, I'd rather Congress get to work on tax reform and immigration. There's a small window of time, and we know that Congress can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 01:56:20 am »

Yes, I agree.  Pointless victory at this time.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 04:04:39 pm »
I hate to say this, but if he is going to be gone soon, moving forward with impeachment would be pointless.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 04:54:26 pm »

In essence the TEA party and other third party former GOP will have become a swing vote, and now we will count.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 04:56:27 pm »
#NeverRepublican
I will do what I have always done, with the exception of 'holding my nose' a few times. I will vote for the person most likely to restore the Constitutional Republic, to reduce Government intrusion, regulation, and expense, who will support the government which governs least.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 06:33:06 pm »
In essence the TEA party and other third party former GOP will have become a swing vote, and now we will count.

Let's hope so.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 06:37:01 pm »
There is always time for justice.  This needs to happen for the sake of the republic.

The problem is that impeachment is not justice.  Even if successful, all it would have done is remove a guy from office a couple of weeks before he'd have left anyway.  So what's the point?

Punishing him criminally is a separate issue, and one over which the House has no authority anyway.  If anything he did rises to the level of criminal conduct (and I don't know that one way or the other) than the DOJ would have to pursue it.  And that obviously wouldn't happen until after the inauguration anyway.