Author Topic: Sugary Drinks Are Impacting Latino Kids' Health, Weight - NBC  (Read 1869 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sugary Drinks Are Impacting Latino Kids' Health, Weight - NBC
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:40:01 pm »
Sugary Drinks Are Impacting Latino Kids' Health, Weight
by BRIAN LATIMER

Parents may think it's harmless to to let toddlers and young kids drink soda or fruit juice, but it can have serious and lifelong health effects.

"Being Latino and drinking sugary beverages at least once in the past week were associated with 2.3 times the odds of severe obesity in kindergarten, which can lead to obesity-related diseases," reports Salud! America.

Latino children aged 0-5 consume sugary drinks at a higher rate than the average kid in the U.S.

Almost three-quarters of Latino children in the U.S. and more than eight-in-ten black children have consumed a sugary drink like soda or some fruit juices by the time they are 2 years old, compared to around 45 percent of non-Latino white children who have consumed a sugary drink before their 6th birthday.

Continued At: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/sugary-drinks-impact-latino-kids-health-n692526

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Sugary Drinks Are Impacting Latino Kids' Health, Weight - NBC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:13:57 pm »
Parents may think it's harmless to to let toddlers and young kids drink soda or fruit juice
Which parents are those?

Keep in mind, though, there's a difference between giving your kid a 4-ounce box of Juicy Juice and handing him a 20-ounce Mountain Dew. One at least has Vitamin C, doesn't have caffeine and is an appropriate portion size. The other, well, is the opposite.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 06:12:16 am »
Maybe we should put the government in charge of what we eat, lol.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:30:11 am »
Which parents are those?

Keep in mind, though, there's a difference between giving your kid a 4-ounce box of Juicy Juice and handing him a 20-ounce Mountain Dew. One at least has Vitamin C, doesn't have caffeine and is an appropriate portion size. The other, well, is the opposite.

Hey @jmyrlefuller Mountain Dew does have Vitamin C. I believe it contains orange juice. That's why my fat kid doesn't have cold and loads of energy from the caffeine.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:38:42 am »
I got my Daily Portion from Big Government!

I need to go and get my Daily Portion!

Daily Portion

Because Government Loves You More Than Mommy Does
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:39:55 am by geronl »

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 01:34:51 pm »
It's time for more taxes on those types of drinks.  Lets call Mayor Big Gulp for advice.

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 06:41:50 pm »
Isn't it better for them to drink pop than their water? :silly: