Author Topic: President-elect Trump on his desire to cancel Boeing’s Air Force One order: “We want Boeing to make a lot of money, but not that much money”  (Read 8173 times)

Offline r9etb

Gonna be a long 4 years. His gaffes are worse than any Democrat's.

Sigh.  The base price for the plane is $357 million.  No telling what the numerous one-off, high-tech "features" cost, but they're not going to be cheap. 

I guess nobody's going to cut this idiot's thumbs off after all.

Offline Night Hides Not

Sigh.  The base price for the plane is $357 million.  No telling what the numerous one-off, high-tech "features" cost, but they're not going to be cheap. 

I guess nobody's going to cut this idiot's thumbs off after all.

I think the story is being reported poorly. It didn't say how many planes were being built under this contract. Trump's tweet made it sound like it was one plane for $4 billion. I understand there are electronics and countermeasures that have to be added in, but even at $1 billion a plane, Boeing is profiting mightily.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
If not Boeing, then which company shall we give the contract to? Airbus?  What other company makes wide-bodied planes capable of performing the task, nowadays?  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline r9etb

I think the story is being reported poorly. It didn't say how many planes were being built under this contract. Trump's tweet made it sound like it was one plane for $4 billion. I understand there are electronics and countermeasures that have to be added in, but even at $1 billion a plane, Boeing is profiting mightily.

They're buying two planes.  I doubt Boeing is "profiting mightily."  Things cost what they cost.  Moreover, if costs are increasing, it's almost certainly because the AF has been changing (adding or subtracting) requirements for the plane.

Offline r9etb

If not Boeing, then which company shall we give the contract to? Airbus?  What other company makes wide-bodied planes capable of performing the task, nowadays?  :shrug:

The sticking point is that the AF wants the plane to have four engines.  There are only two large planes in production that satisfy that requirement, and one of them is made by Airbus.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

https://twitter.com/MarcusReports/status/806173724256980993

Most likely the rest of it is from Defense contractors meeting various requirements for the flying command fortress. Computer and communication systems, satellites, EMB defenses, countermeasures, etc. You can't compare AF1 to the price of a normal get nor can you just willy nilly down negotiate away some of the national security requirements.

Offline libertybele

?? So...he's saving some money, why is that such a problem?  Perhaps he plans on traveling around the country using his own Boeing 757.  It has an estimated price tag of $100 million vs. the cost of the new Air Force One with an estimated price tag of over $4 billion!  That's a huge difference.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Go to Lockheed Martin and ask them what it would take to convert a C-5 to meet the needs of the office.  While the C5 is not the same as a 747-200, in most fight performance metrics, it is either close or exceeds the 747.

Offline r9etb

?? So...he's saving some money, why is that such a problem?  Perhaps he plans on traveling around the country using his own Boeing 757.  It has an estimated price tag of $100 million vs. the cost of the new Air Force One with an estimated price tag of over $4 billion!  That's a huge difference.

I think you misunderstand the nature and use of AF1, the nature of the procurement (it's two planes, not one, for example), and the cost of the mission-unique modifications that are being made to make it vastly different from a standard-model 747-8 aircraft.

Trump is once again showing his ignorance.

Offline r9etb

Go to Lockheed Martin and ask them what it would take to convert a C-5 to meet the needs of the office.  While the C5 is not the same as a 747-200, in most fight performance metrics, it is either close or exceeds the 747.

It probably would cost $10 billion to make a new C-5.  The production line has been closed for decades.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Maybe he thinks McDonnell-Douglas can give him a better deal.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

geronl

does he really think we have one-man rule in this nation

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Does his B757 have encrypted secure comms? Military grade GPS and radar systems?  Are the electronics shielded against EMP's?

What about anti missile threat detection or countermeasures?

Shall I continue to point out what goes into the price tag of a military grade AF1 versus a BBJ 757?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:48:17 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Offline NavyCanDo

Will someone from the Trump team PLEASE Cancel his Twitter account.   

I'm not at liberty to discuss anything not publically disclosed on this project, but this was sent by Boeing today.

Boeing responds to Trump tweet about Air Force One

Boeing issued a statement Tuesday in response to a tweet by U.S. President-elect Donald Trump suggesting that the U.S. government should cancel its order for a new version of Air Force One.

"We are currently under contract for $170 million to help determine the capabilities of these complex military aircraft that serve the unique requirements of the president of the United States,” the statement reads. “We look forward to working with the U.S. Air Force on subsequent phases of the program allowing us to deliver the best planes for the president at the best value for the American taxpayer."

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

geronl

The contract likely includes parts, upgrades and maintenance services for many years into the future for both very advanced aircraft

Offline mountaineer

Do we need replacements for the current AF1 fleet? How quickly do they become obsolete, I wonder.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Do we need replacements for the current AF1 fleet? How quickly do they become obsolete, I wonder.

There have been tremendous leaps in fuel efficiency wing design and electronics since the current AF1 twins came online when Clinton took office.

Gotta remember that before the current 747-200B's AF1 was a pair of almost 40 year old 707's...one of which carried the body of JFK back from Dallas.

The 747-8 currently under development is only similiar to the current plane in body style.

Offline mountaineer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Offline mountaineer

This is NOT an order for replacement AF1s.    Can we end the misinformation?
Here's how it's being reported by USA Today:

President-elect Donald Trump on Tuesday called for the U.S. government to cancel a deal with aircraft manufacturer Boeing for development of a new Air Force One.

The Air Force signed deals with Boeing in January and July to design certain aspects of the new presidential aircraft, including its interior, electrical and power system, and maintenance systems.

The U.S. Government Accountability Office estimated in March that the entire program would cost about $3.2 billion from the 2010 through 2020 fiscal years, including $2 billion for research and development.  ...

Offline Night Hides Not

The contract likely includes parts, upgrades and maintenance services for many years into the future for both very advanced aircraft

I'm sure you're right, further cementing my opinion that this story has been botched by the media.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

geronl

30 years

Two very expensive planes, 30-years, parts, upgrades, constant maintenance

Cancel it and force Trump to fly commercial on his overseas jaunts.