Author Topic: Dominion Virginia Power Breaks Ground on Natural Gas Plant {largest in North America}  (Read 2957 times)

Offline thackney

Dominion Virginia Power Breaks Ground on Natural Gas Plant
http://www.power-eng.com/articles/2016/12/dominion-virginia-power-breaks-ground-on-natural-gas-plant.html

Dominion Virginia Power held its official groundbreaking on its natural gas-fired Greensville County Power Station.

The $1.3 billion, 1,588-MW plant is expected to be the largest gas-fired combined-cycle facility in North America when it begins operations near the end of 2018, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.

Greensville County Power Station follows in the footsteps of Dominion’s 1,358-MW Brunswick County power station, which came on line earlier this year. The two have a combined development cost of $2.5 billion.

Greensville County officials hope to use the plant as a draw to attract large businesses into the area, including international companies. Dominion expects the station to generate $8 million in property taxes and $36 million in annual economic benefits.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's a lot of electricity for a county of 13,000 population.  :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

I'd love to see the assumptions underlying those all too rosy forecasts of economic benefits. 

Online mountaineer

That's a lot of electricity for a county of 13,000 population.  :laugh:
They'll sell it, I'm sure.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Trump does not represent the will of the people.  If we really wanted to respect the decision of "the people," then Clinton would be the president-elect, not Trump, for the simple reason that she won the popular vote.

You post that nonsense like you really believe it. Is America a Democracy?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They'll sell it, I'm sure.

@Oceander   @mountaineer

Comrades have trouble understanding the concept of "sell it".

Oceander

You clearly don't understand either the purpose for putting it up, nor do you appreciate the context. 

I rather like the electoral college, so I have no problem with the occasional side effect that the popular loser is the electoral college winner - that's the way it's supposed to work - but I do have a big problem with people - and there are a lot of them - who think that being the technical winner in the electoral college is the same thing as a popular mandate.  Trump is a technical winner who has no popular mandate because he lost the popular vote.

In point of fact, it is precisely because I know that the US is not a mere democracy that I put that message up:  because if it were a direct democracy Clinton would have won, so all those jubilant Trumpists had better rein it in on the "we won" nonsense because the win was only technical, only an artifact of the system. 

Oceander

@Oceander   @mountaineer

Eh?   @sneakypete Komrad having trouble understanding the English language (or American).

Offline Smokin Joe

@Oceander   @mountaineer

LOL! At least they will be making something people won't take home in their lunchboxes.

It is going to take a lot of natural gas to feed that thing. Are they going to build a pipeline? (Want to borrow a bunch of ecowhackos and assorted other Professionally aggrieved people? We seem to have a surplus.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
LOL! At least they will be making something people won't take home in their lunchboxes.

It is going to take a lot of natural gas to feed that thing. Are they going to build a pipeline? (Want to borrow a bunch of ecowhackos and assorted other Professionally aggrieved people? We seem to have a surplus.)

http://co.williams.com/expansionprojects/virginia 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Eh?   @sneakypete Komrad having trouble understanding the English language (or American).

That would be YOU having the problem understanding English,comrade. You seem to be suffering under the delusion that America is a Democracy,either because you are ignorant of what the word means,or you are just ignorant in general.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

It is going to take a lot of natural gas to feed that thing.

@Smokin Joe

Well,they ARE close to Washington,DC,the home of the DNC and their brothers the RNC,the biggest sources of natural gas in the nation.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:49:58 pm by sneakypete »

Offline thackney

The company selected the site for development because of its proximity to transmission and natural gas lines, water supply, railroads and major highways.

The station would be served by a Williams' Transco natural gas line that is being extended to the site and the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline (ACP) that will cross the station property when that pipeline is built. This will improve operational reliability by providing flexibility and redundancy in procuring the station's fuel supply.  The ACP will be critical to providing reliability, infrastructure, fuel supply diversity and helping to keep fuel costs low not only for this plant but the entire generation fleet.

The 1,143-acre site straddles the Greensville/Brunswick County line with 740 acres in Greensville County.

http://dom.mediaroom.com/2015-03-26-Dominion-Selects-Greensville-County-for-Site-of-New-Power-Station
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

That would be YOU having the problem understanding English,comrade. You seem to be suffering under the delusion that America is a Democracy,either because you are ignorant of what the word means,or you are just ignorant in general.

Pity you didn't read my post, then you might have understood.  Still, it is fun to see how Pavlovian your responses are. 

Online mountaineer

I live in the Marcellus Shale gas-producing region. News like this is good for our economy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Pity you didn't read my post, then you might have understood.

@Oceander

It's a pity you didn't understand what you posted.

Oceander

@Oceander

It's a pity you didn't understand what you posted.

Right.  Since you didn't read it, you wouldn't know.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Right.  Since you didn't read it, you wouldn't know.

@Oceander

I know that anything you posted beyond the "will of the people" brain fart is a waste of time reading,but to humor you,I went back and read it all. It consisted of whining because Bubbette! is going to be wheeled into the old bitches home instead of the white house.

So,no matter what you say,in your heart of hearts you want America to be a Democracy.

Offline Smokin Joe

I live in the Marcellus Shale gas-producing region. News like this is good for our economy.
Precisely.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Well,they ARE close to Washington,DC,the home of the DNC and their brothers the RNC,the biggest sources of natural gas in the nation.
I have little doubt there is significant flatus from the denizens of the swamp, but I think most of that is just hot air. You can't go by the odor, more often than not it's the same from either end.

C S Lewis

Online Lando Lincoln

I have a son working in Watford City, North Dakota.  He has an apartment there and a home in Bismarck.  I have a selfish and personal reason for the US energy markets to do well. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

@Oceander

I know that anything you posted beyond the "will of the people" brain fart is a waste of time reading,but to humor you,I went back and read it all. It consisted of whining because Bubbette! is going to be wheeled into the old bitches home instead of the white house.

So,no matter what you say,in your heart of hearts you want America to be a Democracy.

Nope.  But thanks for proving that your grasp of the English language is tenuous at best.  Now run along, little snowflake, before you have to try and think again. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nope.  But thanks for proving that your grasp of the English language is tenuous at best.  Now run along, little snowflake, before you have to try and think again.

@Oceander

That's laughable coming from someone that supported the most crooked and evil woman to ever run for public office.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Quote from: Oceander on Today at 08:53:33 AM

Trump does not represent the will of the people.  If we really wanted to respect the decision of "the people," then Clinton would be the president-elect, not Trump, for the simple reason that she won the popular vote.

why must you further pollute otherwise germaine discussions?

If this was FR, you would be "banned".
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Marcellus is a Godsend to this country.  The US is endowed with a bountiful supply of oil and gas by God.  He has provided, and we have benefited.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington