Author Topic: Why conservatives are politically homeless  (Read 6673 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Why conservatives are politically homeless
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:16 pm »
@INVAR

Baring cloning Barry Goldwater and running him again,I have a hard time arguing with that.

The ONLY time I want Mordor on the Potomac working quickly and in concert with all the cogs in the machine is over matters of national defense and emergency.

Since I do not expect them to act to shrink itself - they can bugger off as far as the rest of things are concerned.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline corbe

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »
   This Conservative is not homeless, TBR provides me shelter from the coming storm.

Thanks goes out to most 'all' of you.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 06:41:43 am »
   This Conservative is not homeless, TBR provides me shelter from the coming storm.

Amen.   I am grateful for my friends here at TBR too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33:42 pm »

It's gonna be a long 4 years. But I'm very glad for this place. I have a bunch of people on Twitter I follow.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 06:53:39 pm »

First - I WANT WASHINGTON GRIDLOCK.  As much as possible.  All the time.   Washington only exists now to spend our money  to empower itself over us and limit our liberties.

@INVAR

+1,000,000

• Technical
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 06:55:05 pm »
Well there is where we differ.

First - I WANT WASHINGTON GRIDLOCK.  As much as possible.  All the time.   Washington only exists now to spend our money  to empower itself over us and limit our liberties.

And if you think DC is going to roll back any regulations or crushing mandates that stifle growth outside of crony Fascist partnerships - you might also believe in the tooth fairy.

Reagan said it best: a government program is the nearest thing to eternal life we will see in this age.

Normally I'd agree with you. But now that the GOP has total control over the government I really hope they make some meaningful reforms. We will not have this much opportunity in another decade IMO.

If they blow it they're done for.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 07:11:24 pm »

Normally I'd agree with you. But now that the GOP has total control over the government I really hope they make some meaningful reforms. We will not have this much opportunity in another decade IMO.

They are already done for.  The GOP had total dominant control of the government back in 2002-2006, and they were no different than the Democrats having grown government to behemoth size and spending us into greater debt than at any time in our history.  It's why they lost both Houses of Congress in 2006 - out of disgust for what they did and the contempt they showed Conservatives who were upset at their liberalism.

Only a fool would think that they will do any different than they have done before, especially now that a lifelong NY Liberal Democrat is head of their party.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:12:13 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:31 pm »
They are already done for.  The GOP had total dominant control of the government back in 2002-2006, and they were no different than the Democrats having grown government to behemoth size and spending us into greater debt than at any time in our history.  It's why we all at home in 2006 - out of disgust for what they did and the contempt they showed Conservatives who were upset at their liberalism.

Only a fool would think that they will do any different than they have done before, especially now that a lifelong NY Liberal Democrat is head of their party.

I know the odds aren't good, believe me. But we shall see what happens. Maybe the public is waking up?

Oceander

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 07:19:25 pm »

I know the odds aren't good, believe me. But we shall see what happens. Maybe the public is waking up?

It'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 07:40:33 pm »
They are already done for.  The GOP had total dominant control of the government back in 2002-2006, and they were no different than the Democrats having grown government to behemoth size and spending us into greater debt than at any time in our history.

That is when I switched to no party affiliation after being an or fire repub for most of my adult life.  Would have been right around the end of '05 when I saw how things were headed.  Never again!

geronl

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 08:01:44 pm »
Trump now says they'll work something out with DREAMers...lol

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »
I was as NeverTrump as anyone on this board, primarily due to his perceived temperament rather than his apostasy with respect to conservative orthodoxy.   But, on the conservative issues that matter the most to me,  I must say I'm delighted by his nominees for the Departments of Education (Betsy DeVos) and HHS (Tom Price), and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (Seema Verma).   These are solid conservative choices,  committed to constructive and fundamental reform of federal policy.

So count me as one conservative who's sticking with the GOP and willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt.   Trump will no doubt venture off the ranch on some matters, both major and minor, but his Cabinet choices mostly look solid to me.         

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:30:46 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 10:05:11 pm »
They are already done for.  The GOP had total dominant control of the government back in 2002-2006, and they were no different than the Democrats having grown government to behemoth size and spending us into greater debt than at any time in our history.  It's why they lost both Houses of Congress in 2006 - out of disgust for what they did and the contempt they showed Conservatives who were upset at their liberalism.

You'd think as much, but Paul Ryan is not Dennis Hastert, either. The new generation of Republicans working their way into Congress doesn't share a lot of the Big Government-loving "compassionate conservatism" of its predecessors. Now, there isn't total cohesion; the vision of the likes of Rand Paul and Justin Amash isn't quite the same as Ted Cruz's approach. Even so, the fact that we have prominent voices like those people in Congress is an improvement over the Bush era.

There's reason to hope, perhaps little reason, but reason nonetheless.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 10:09:57 pm »
I was as NeverTrump as anyone on this board, primarily due to his perceived temperament rather than his apostasy with respect to conservative orthodoxy.   But, on the conservative issues that matter the most to me,  I must say I'm delighted by his nominees for the Departments of Education (Betsy DeVos) and HHS (Tom Price), and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (Seema Verma).   These are solid conservative choices,  committed to constructive and fundamental reform of federal policy.

So count me as one conservative who's sticking with the GOP and willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt.   Trump will no doubt venture off the ranch on some matters, both major and minor, but his Cabinet choices mostly look solid to me.         

As always, the proof will be in the actual pudding but as of this moment I completely agree with you.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:43 pm »

There's reason to hope, perhaps little reason, but reason nonetheless.

And why not hope?  It's not like many of us can do anything about it for another two years anyway.

I mean, sure, some of us (including myself) might have to say they were wrong if things go well.  Not an easy choice, but I think I could suck it up.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2016, 10:40:45 pm »

Episode 11.B.1.a. "Conservatives as victims"

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 10:51:00 pm »
I'm right there with you.  40 years of my life wasted in the national republican party.

Me too.

There's no home out there for moral conservatives any more.

The Republican party used to be the place where we at least belonged.

Now it has literally become no more than one half of the Uniparty.

There is no place out there for values voters...... either political or ethical.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 10:53:05 pm »

I think they're done now.

Because as of this year, the Republican Party, formerly MY party........ stands for absolutely nothing.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline corbe

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 11:06:19 pm »
I think they're done now.

Because as of this year, the Republican Party, formerly MY party........ stands for absolutely nothing.

IT may very well turn out that Trump has done as much damage to the GOP that obummer did to the DNC.

Either way we Conservatives need to find a vehicle either by coopting an existing Party, something like the Constitution Party or get busy-NOW- and start one because the days of believing the GOP will eventually 'get it' have long passed.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline SailB

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:08 pm »

the Republican Party  .... stands for absolutely nothing.
That's the thing.  We can hope they do the right thing, or give them the benefit of the doubt, or whatever, but they've already proven they don't stand for anything and don't represent me.  I am not "clutching my pearls" as some have said.  I'm just focused more on other things.  Used to be obsessessed with politics.  It was actually fun.  Not anymore.  I will still pray for this nation every night, and be thankful for it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 11:40:05 pm »
Me too.

There's no home out there for moral conservatives any more.

The Republican party used to be the place where we at least belonged.

Now it has literally become no more than one half of the Uniparty.

There is no place out there for values voters...... either political or ethical.

I hear what you're saying,  and it explains why I'm so far pleased right now with the GOP,  and you're ready to cash it all in.

It all boils down to the issues you prioritize.   Trump's had stunningly good picks to head up Education and HHS;  the policy wonk in me wants federal policy fundamentally reformed,  and suddenly there's the prospect of getting it. 

But values voters are adrift.    Indeed, the way some values voters defended Trump bordered on the unseemly.   

The values issues -  abortion,  gay rights,  etc.,  are where I (and quite possibly Trump)  part company with you.    I think opposition to abortion should be a matter of one-on-one persuasion,  grounded in faith, and not a subject of public policy.  And gays have the same rights the rest of us have,  and that's just the law and the Constitution.  Sorry.

But I respect our differences, and think there's a place for both of us in the GOP,  even a Trump-infected one.   Rome wasn't built in a day, and let's not fail to acknowledge that an opportunity presents itself.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:42:09 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:47 pm »
   I think opposition to abortion should be a matter of one-on-one persuasion,  grounded in faith, and not a subject of public policy. 

So get Roe vs Wade overturned?  Sounds like a great start to me.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

HonestJohn

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 12:05:30 am »

I'm not pleased with the DoE choice.  I don't want and ideologue pushing her pet belief that their needs to be more Christianity in public schools.

I want a technocrat that will reduce the scope of the DoE to it's original mandate... and make sure that the federal funds to land-grant universities are paid out.  That's about it.

She's no better then a fundamentalist Muslim pushing for more Islam in schools.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2016, 12:29:41 am »
But I respect our differences, and think there's a place for both of us in the GOP,  even a Trump-infected one.   Rome wasn't built in a day, and let's not fail to acknowledge that an opportunity presents itself.

No, I'm not falling for that line of logic ever again.

The GOP made it very certain that Constitutional Christian Conservatives were loathed and not wanted in their party.

I obliged that fact after serving in that failed marriage for decades and decided I am done with battered wife syndrome.

The feeling of contempt is now mutual between me and the GOP.

I'm working for another avenue and letting the dead bury their own dead.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 12:49:56 am »
The ONLY time I want Mordor on the Potomac working quickly and in concert with all the cogs in the machine is over matters of national defense and emergency.

@INVAR

I have no idea who that is.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!