Author Topic: Let's Colonize Titan  (Read 2321 times)

Online kevindavis007

Let's Colonize Titan
« on: December 02, 2016, 12:07:00 am »

Saturn's largest moon might be the only place beyond Earth where humans could live

The idea of a human colony on Titan, a moon of Saturn, might sound crazy. Its temperature hovers at nearly 300° below zero Fahrenheit, and its skies rain methane and ethane that flow into hydrocarbon seas. Nevertheless, Titan could be the only place in the solar system where it makes sense to build a permanent, self-sufficient human settlement.

We reached this conclusion after looking at the planets in a new way: ecologically. We considered the habitat that human beings need and searched for those conditions in our celestial neighborhood.

Our colonization scenario, based on science, technology, politics and culture, presents a thought experiment for anyone who wants to think about the species’ distant future.

We expect human nature to stay the same. Human beings of the future will have the same drives and needs we have now. Practically speaking, their home must have abundant energy, livable temperatures and protection from the rigors of space, including cosmic radiation, which new research suggests is unavoidably dangerous for biological beings like us.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2016/12/lets-colonize-titan.html

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online kevindavis007

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Let's Colonize Titan
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:11:14 am »
Don't forget your coat.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 12:28:52 am »
Don't forget your coat.

I prefer that we go out of the solar system..

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:35:10 am »
I really love the whole space the final frontier modern pioneer aspect, but I'm really holding out for somewhere I can continue my gardening and outdoor lifestyle.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 12:40:15 am »
I really love the whole space the final frontier modern pioneer aspect, but I'm really holding out for somewhere I can continue my gardening and outdoor lifestyle.

Even under a Red Sun or do you prefer a Yellow Sun??

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:45:23 am »

I would prefer something toward the yellow end of the spectrum thanks. Maybe something in a nice dim red orbiting a sunlike star at about 5 AU.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:48:55 am »
I would prefer something toward the yellow end of the spectrum thanks. Maybe something in a nice dim red orbiting a sunlike star at about 5 AU.

Same here..  I prefer something towards the yellow end as well..

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 12:54:11 am »

Same here..  I prefer something towards the yellow end as well..

Maybe two smallish yellows in a tight binary orbit with the planet a couple iof standard AUs out.

Of course a moon orbiting a giant could be cool as well.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 01:26:20 am »
Maybe two smallish yellows in a tight binary orbit with the planet a couple iof standard AUs out.

Of course a moon orbiting a giant could be cool as well.

Well, the two sun will be OK, however living on a moon that is Earth size near a gas giant will be cool.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 03:10:42 pm »
We need a space Winnebago

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 06:23:59 pm »

Just so long as it wasn't Krypton, being under a red sun would be OK I think...  :pondering:
Let it burn.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 07:05:42 pm »
OK, after having read the article... I think the author glosses over the potential difficulties of living in an environment where it rains methane.  Venturing outside on Titan might not require a pressure suit, but it would definitely require something more than just "very warm clothing."   **nononono*
Let it burn.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 07:22:18 pm »
OK, after having read the article... I think the author glosses over the potential difficulties of living in an environment where it rains methane.  Venturing outside on Titan might not require a pressure suit, but it would definitely require something more than just "very warm clothing."   **nononono*
Don't worry methane is a green house gas so global warming must be out of control there. All we need to do is export a few cows and it will be nice and toasty.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 07:25:47 pm »

We will colonize space, not in my lifetime but maybe in the next generation. I believe it won't be on another planet but on a huge structure like this:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:31 pm »

We will colonize space, not in my lifetime but maybe in the next generation. I believe it won't be on another planet but on a huge structure like this:

I wanna generate a magnetic field around the moon, build an atmosphere, oceans etc. Break the tidal lock to get a reasonable day/night cycle.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 03:08:23 am »

They could be use as huge space arks.