Author Topic: Cassini Spacecraft Continues Dramatic, 'Ring-Grazing' Orbits (1/30/2017 - Update with pictures)  (Read 4606 times)

Offline kidd

November 30, 2016

NASA’s Cassini probe is nearing the end of its lifetime, and the little spacecraft is going out with a bang. Today, the spacecraft begins a series of 20 “ring-grazing” orbits, bringing Cassini the closest it’s ever been to Saturn’s vast, majestic discs of ice and dust.

Since 2004, Cassini has been touring the gas giant Saturn, its rings, and its many moons. The mission has revealed unexpected wonders, from geysers on Enceladus to flowing liquid methane on Titan to a mysterious, color-changing hexagon at Saturn’s north pole. While NASA would probably be happy if Cassini could keep buzzing around Saturn snapping photos forever, the spacecraft is running precariously low on fuel. One way or another, the end is approaching.

Next September, Cassini will make a suicide plunge into Saturn’s atmosphere. But until then, the spacecraft still has a lot of work to do. From today until April 22nd, Cassini will circle over and under Saturn’s poles, in an elliptical orbit inclined about 60 degrees from the ring plane. Once a week, it’ll swoop down to cross that plane just outside Saturn’s F ring, a narrow band that’s considered the outer extent of main ring system.

Cassini will pass this unexplored ring edge a total of 20 times, at a distance of less than 5,000 miles (8,000 kilometers).

“We’re calling this phase of the mission Cassini’s Ring-Grazing Orbits, because we’ll be skimming past the outer edge of the rings,” Cassini project scientist Linda Spilker said in a statement. “In addition, we have two instruments that can sample particles and gases as we cross the ringplane, so in a sense Cassini is also ‘grazing’ on the rings.”

During the ring-grazing orbits, Cassini will build up a high-resolution snapshot of the rings’ structures. While Saturn’s rings are thousands of miles wide, they are, astonishingly, less than mile thick. If you were holding a scale toy model of Saturn, those rings would be 100 times thinner than a sheet of printer paper. Cassini will resolve details in these virtually 2-D structures down to less than 0.6 miles (1 km) per pixel.

The next 20 weeks will also afford Cassini the opportunity to snap our best photos yet of four tiny Saturnian moons: Pandora, Atlas, Pan and Daphnis. Each of these moons is just a few miles in diameter, too small to form a spherical shape under its own gravity. Nevertheless, the moons’ tiny gravitational tugs shape and sculpt ring structure, and their composition may offer clues as to how the rings first formed.

After the ring-grazing orbits, Cassini’s schedule only gets more action-packed. In April, the spacecraft begins its swan song, a “Grand Finale” that brings it just 1,000 miles (1600 km) above Saturn’s cloud tops and sends it on dizzying dives through the narrow gap between the gas giant and its rings. And on September 15th, Cassini will execute its final maneuver, plunging into Saturn’s atmosphere. The spacecraft will ll burn up and break apart, its molecules dispersing far and wide into the blustery ball of gas that it’s spent the last decade-and-a-half studying.

Cassini is harnessing a gravitational kick from Titan to set it on its ring-grazing path later today. During the first F ring crossing on December 4th, Cassini will make a nine-hour movie of Saturn’s tempestuous north pole, and snap a few money shots of the icy geysers at Enceladus’ south pole.

For anyone interested in following the latest chapter in Cassini’s journey, NASA has a wealth of information available online, including a full list of dates and times associated with each ring-grazing orbit, highlights of the different orbits, and detailed summaries of the science in the weeks to come.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/cassini-spacecraft-begins-dramatic-ring-grazing-orbits-1789513946
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:50:26 pm by kidd »

geronl

Re: Cassini Spacecraft Begins Dramatic, 'Ring-Grazing' Orbits Today
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 06:48:26 pm »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:30:03 pm »
Its always interesting when we get a close up look at the rings.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 10:46:03 pm »
Thanks @kevindavis.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:50:06 pm »
Hopefully there will be some real nice pictures and/or videos that come out of this phase of the mission.  :pondering:
Let it burn.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:44:18 am »
Will the spacecraft create any detectable perturbations in the rings themselves?

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 02:14:39 am »
Will the spacecraft create any detectable perturbations in the rings themselves?

I don't think the spacecraft would be doing any course corrections within the rings themselves so I don't think it would cause any upset. Even if it did I would think the chance of it causing any noticeable change in the rings would be very small, since the rings are supposedly very diffuse.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 03:09:15 am »
For those that might be interested NASA's Eyes app has some animation showing the mission I found it interesting..

Offline kidd

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 04:16:09 pm »
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/

Excerpted:

NASA’s Cassini spacecraft has completed the first of its ring-grazing orbits and snapped stunning images of the strange hexagon-shaped jet stream at Saturn’s northern pole.

Saturn's hexagon, as seen through different spectral filters. (NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute)

Each side of that six-sided figure is about as wide as Earth. At the center, a giant storm swirls on the north pole. One of the strangest things about this hexagon is the fact that it’s been around for decades: It was first spotted by NASA’s Voyager mission in the 1980s.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 04:47:51 pm »
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/

Excerpted:

NASA’s Cassini spacecraft has completed the first of its ring-grazing orbits and snapped stunning images of the strange hexagon-shaped jet stream at Saturn’s northern pole.

Saturn's hexagon, as seen through different spectral filters. (NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute)

Each side of that six-sided figure is about as wide as Earth. At the center, a giant storm swirls on the north pole. One of the strangest things about this hexagon is the fact that it’s been around for decades: It was first spotted by NASA’s Voyager mission in the 1980s.

Very interesting. I wonder what causes the hexagon shape.

It looks like the end of an oil filter.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 04:58:38 pm »

Yes, very interesting.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 05:45:57 pm »

The theory is that the hexagon shape is caused by differing wind speeds in Saturn's atmosphere, at different latitudes.  Apparently the fluid dynamics work out such that if the wind speed ratios are just right, they can form a natural hexagon shape in the jet stream around the pole.  If the ratios were different, a different shape might be formed, such as a triangle or a septagon, or no shape at all. You can read a much more involved explanation (with some cool videos) here:  http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2010/2471.html.
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 06:16:11 pm »
The theory is that the hexagon shape is caused by differing wind speeds in Saturn's atmosphere, at different latitudes.  Apparently the fluid dynamics work out such that if the wind speed ratios are just right, they can form a natural hexagon shape in the jet stream around the pole.  If the ratios were different, a different shape might be formed, such as a triangle or a septagon, or no shape at all. You can read a much more involved explanation (with some cool videos) here:  http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2010/2471.html.

Thanks, @Ghost Bear.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »
Fascinating.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 07:07:59 pm »
I love Saturn. Fascinating. I'm going to miss Cassini when it is no more.

As for the hexagon- I heard Giorgio say it was aliens.   :silly:

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kidd

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 09:47:44 pm »
Close Views Show Saturn's Rings in Unprecedented Detail

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6729

This Cassini image features a density wave in Saturn's A ring (at left) that lies around 134,500 km from Saturn. Density waves are accumulations of particles at certain distances from the planet. This feature is filled with clumpy perturbations, which researchers informally refer to as "straw." The wave itself is created by the gravity of the moons Janus and Epimetheus, which share the same orbit around Saturn. Elsewhere, the scene is dominated by "wakes" from a recent pass of the ring moon Pan.

The image was taken in visible light with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on Dec. 18, 2016. The view was obtained at a distance of approximately 34,000 miles (56,000 kilometers) from the rings and looks toward the unilluminated side of the rings. Image scale is about a quarter-mile (340 meters) per pixel.

This image shows a region in Saturn's outer B ring. NASA's Cassini spacecraft viewed this area at a level of detail twice as high as it had ever been observed before.

The view here is of the outer edge of the B ring, at left, which is perturbed by the most powerful gravitational resonance in the rings: the "2:1 resonance" with the icy moon Mimas. This means that, for every single orbit of Mimas, the ring particles at this specific distance from Saturn orbit the planet twice. This results in a regular tugging force that perturbs the particles in this location.

A lot of structure is visible in the zone near the edge on the left. This is likely due to some combination of the gravity of embedded objects too small to see, or temporary clumping triggered by the action of the resonance itself. Scientists informally refer to this type of structure as "straw."

This image was taken using a fairly long exposure, causing the embedded clumps to smear into streaks as they moved in their orbits. Later Cassini orbits will bring shorter exposures of the same region, which will give researchers a better idea of what these clumps look like. But in this case, the smearing does help provide a clearer idea of how the clumps are moving.
The image was taken in visible light with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on Dec. 18, 2016. The view was obtained at a distance of approximately 32,000 miles (52,000 kilometers) from the rings and looks toward the unilluminated side of the rings. Image scale is about a quarter-mile (360 meters) per pixel.

= = = =
360 meters per pixel is about the size of a large building per pixel.
Very impressive. More pictures at the link:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6729

geronl

That is plain awesome

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 11:23:26 pm »

That one's just not going to play well.  Too many scratches.   **nononono*
Let it burn.

Oceander

That one's just not going to play well.  Too many scratches.   **nononono*

:bigsilly:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 01:08:04 pm »
Didn't a couple of guys do a lab experiment set-up that re-created the hexagon shape? Or was that just another computer model?

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 01:36:44 pm »
Didn't a couple of guys do a lab experiment set-up that re-created the hexagon shape? Or was that just another computer model?

Yes, that was at the link that I provided. They actually set up a tank full of colored liquids, and reproduced the hexagon (and other) shapes by causing the liquids to rotate at different speeds.
Let it burn.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 01:52:40 pm »
Yes, that was at the link that I provided. They actually set up a tank full of colored liquids, and reproduced the hexagon (and other) shapes by causing the liquids to rotate at different speeds.

It always cracks me up when conspiracy "researchers" confidently state that nature doesn't create straight lines, circles, squares etc. But nature is full of near perfect geometric shapes if you look for them. Saturn is no different.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 02:31:36 pm »
It always cracks me up when conspiracy "researchers" confidently state that nature doesn't create straight lines, circles, squares etc. But nature is full of near perfect geometric shapes if you look for them. Saturn is no different.

It's pretty. It makes me happy. The rings are full of awe and wonder. The universe is incredible. I'm at my most happiest when I'm looking at it - either in the nighttime sky or pictures. or when I have a cat on my lap.

Simple pleasures. Life is good.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️