Author Topic: Auschwitz: How Nazi Germany Brought Hell to Planet Earth  (Read 596 times)

rangerrebew

Auschwitz: How Nazi Germany Brought Hell to Planet Earth
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:32:40 pm »

Auschwitz: How Nazi Germany Brought Hell to Planet Earth
[1]
Main Image

Auschwitz wasn’t a concentration camp as much as a death camp.
Daniel L. Davis [2]

Aleppo. Mosul. Fallujah. Tikrit. These are the names of cities in Iraq and Syria where wars have raged over the past two years, featuring human cruelty on a scale that most people can’t fathom. Islamic State in particular, though not exclusively, has perpetrated some of the most heinous acts of barbarism on men, women and even children seen in our lifetimes. It’s easy sometimes for us in the West to shake our head and wonder how those Muslim radicals could be so vicious. But as was vividly reinforced to me earlier today, it isn’t simply “those people” in the Middle East that can be so murderous.

The potential to act this way resides, usually dormant, in the hearts of all men. However much we wish it weren’t so, we in America are not immune from this danger.

As I write this, I am in a car driving through south-central Poland on my way back to Lodz, where I have been participating in a NATO conference. I spent the first half of the day in a small town near the southern border of Poland called Oswiecim. You probably know it better by its German rendering: Auschwitz.

Source URL (retrieved on December 1, 2016): http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-skeptics/auschwitz-how-nazi-germany-brought-hell-planet-earth-18493