Author Topic: Best Music Of All TIme Was From Early 1970's To Late 80's  (Read 7564 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Best Music Of All TIme Was From Early 1970's To Late 80's
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 06:20:23 am »
If I had to rank the past 10 decades (or so) of popular music:

1. 1930-45 - As Prof. Massad noted, just a wave of tremendous and timeless artists.
2. 1970s - The art of the four-minute single was perfected with a number of excellent singer-songwriters and bands. The only reason it's not #1 was disco, which, although it had a really good beat and one can dance to it, had some really unsavory cultural ties to it.
3. 1990s - This was a real backlash against the 1980s, and the electronic stuff faded away. It gets demerits because of grunge, but some good rock came out of this.
4. 1964-69 - This was the lead-up into the 1970s, when groups like the Beatles helped break out of the funk of the 1950s. There was a lot of evolution in rock.
5. 1980s - This was up-and-down. There was still some good songwriting in the early 1980s, and a lot of quality country, but electronic acts, bad British bands and music videos drowned out a lot of it.
6. 1954-63 - This was the era of rock and roll, the seminal invention of the modern era. Some acts were very good, some very bad... and doo-wop was boring. Yeah, I said it.
7. 1920s - Forgettable, and forgotten.
8. 2000s - Like I said, almost all of this decade was terrible for music, with a few very rare exceptions.
9. 1946-53 - The post-World War II era gave us a lull in which we ended up with songs like "Mama Will Bark" and "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?" becoming major hits. And Hank Williams Sr.'s overrated.

To be truthful, I don't listen to enough of this decade's music often enough to rank it yet. Some of it seems quite good; I seem to get the impression that the crap of last decade is out of our systems.

Hard to judge the 20's as there wasn't alot laid to track back then, nor was their much of electronic anything then, instruments, sound, recording, or otherwise. Suffice to say though that the roots of blues, jazz, country, bluegrass and big band were being laid down though.

Now saying Hank was overrated cuts through the heart of my Alabama roots. Hank along with the Carters practically defined modern country music and the Opry sound at that time, moving it away from folk and bluegrass. But I don't expect everyone gets Hank.

I'll agree that the early post war years weren't much for pop music. Big band was dying and others like jazz, blues, country, and surfin' rockabilly were still pretty underground. Alot of the great 50's talent is barely played anymore, but that was the era of rock explosion. From the famous ones to bands like the Coasters (my favorite, a couple of theirs below) and singers Eddie Cochran. Most of these guys fueled the music for the next 3 decades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3xm_tJu-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kahp_kmOFzQ

The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 06:30:40 am »
I a going with:

The best music spanned the early-mid 60s thru the early-mid 70s.

American Folk music (Kingston Trio, Bob Dylan), British Invasion (Beatles, Stones, Cream, Led Zeppelin), Folk Rock (Rod Stewart, Eagles, America), Country-Southern Rock (Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Leon Russell)

......and many, many more styles and performers

Nothing to compare before or after
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online LMAO

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 12:12:27 pm »
Early 70's to about 1984 or 1985.

Jefferson Starship, Kiss, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, The Nuge, Boston's first album, April Wine, Rush...

Played on many an 8 Track player in real cars
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Mod1

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 12:18:39 pm »
Moved to a "member-written" category, as this is not a sourced article.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 03:19:21 pm »
The period offered so much, rock, pop, disco, country and alternative labels with so many hit songs

Aw, you were doin' good 'til you mentioned......that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4o_ICJCfAI
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 03:22:37 pm »
Aw, you were doin' good 'til you mentioned......that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4o_ICJCfAI

Disco never came to my little town.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 04:23:00 pm »
Hard to judge the 20's as there wasn't alot laid to track back then, nor was their much of electronic anything then, instruments, sound, recording, or otherwise. Suffice to say though that the roots of blues, jazz, country, bluegrass and big band were being laid down though.

Now saying Hank was overrated cuts through the heart of my Alabama roots. Hank along with the Carters practically defined modern country music and the Opry sound at that time, moving it away from folk and bluegrass. But I don't expect everyone gets Hank.

Don't forget Roy Acuff the great great grand pappy of country music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmclgyXIrYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-gwQkJOphI
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »
Lot of great 90's stuff..Cranberries, Nirvana, Metallica

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 06:13:35 am »
Lot of great 90's stuff..Cranberries, Nirvana, Metallica

Veruca Salt, Weezer, and Collective Soul are my favorites from the 90's.
The Republic is lost.