Author Topic: Best Music Of All TIme Was From Early 1970's To Late 80's  (Read 7566 times)

Offline mirraflake

Best Music Of All TIme Was From Early 1970's To Late 80's
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:10 pm »
I've been watching MTV the last 5-6 days and watching and listening to the concerts from the old groups I grew up with..Kiss, Journey, Rush, Aerosmith and such.   Distinct sound which will never be replicated in our lifetimes. The period offered so much, rock, pop, disco, country and alternative labels with so many hit songs

Of course as a teen in the 70's and a young adult in the 80's I'm biased.

MTV  had concerts from the latest talent..not a single song caught my ear and I really tried to be open minded. Amy Winehouse was so drugged up on stage she could barely talk. This women was supposed to have been a hot singer? Great voice but non of the songs had "the sound" No comparison to Linda Ronsdat, Pat Benitar, Heart, the Go Go's-Belinda Carlisle

My nieces and nephews who are in their teens and 20's confess most of their friends listen to 80's and 90's stuff so that tells you something.

I hooked up the old turntable for kicks and brought out the old LP's ..What a difference vinyl has over DVD's and Cd's.  No comparison.

Looking for my old Kiss Army T-shirt.I know  I have it somewhere.

Maybe I'm turning geezer I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:06:32 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Best Music Of All TIme Was From Early 1970's To Late 80's
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:27:01 pm »
Agreed. 38 special, Survivor, Journey. Back when Rock & Roll was Rock & Roll and country was still country.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 02:11:48 am »
I don't know about you, but there was some decent music in the 90s, and a lot of lousy stuff came out in the 80s, too; ahem, Madonna. (That being said, it still doesn't even begin to compare to the load of absolute crap that came out in the 2000s; there was almost NO good popular music coming out in that decade. Pretty much every genre sucked; rock, country, R&B, AC, Christian, pop—you name it, it was bad. Except perhaps comedy; I ended up listening to a lot of Dr. Demento at that time.)

That being said, the 70s were a real golden age for good music of all genera.

For perspective, I was born in the 80s and grew up in the 90s. My go-to radio presets are the local classic hits station (which has a little bit of a freeform bent) and the AM classic country station that's about 50 miles away and fades in and out.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:12:36 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 02:16:25 am »
I don't know about you, but there was some decent music in the 90s, and a lot of lousy stuff came out in the 80s, too; ahem, Madonna. (That being said, it still doesn't even begin to compare to the load of absolute crap that came out in the 2000s; there was almost NO good popular music coming out in that decade. Pretty much every genre sucked; rock, country, R&B, AC, Christian, pop—you name it, it was bad. Except perhaps comedy; I ended up listening to a lot of Dr. Demento at that time.)

That being said, the 70s were a real golden age for good music of all genera.

For perspective, I was born in the 80s and grew up in the 90s. My go-to radio presets are the local classic hits station (which has a little bit of a freeform bent) and the AM classic country station that's about 50 miles away and fades in and out.

I was at the sports bar for pizza yesterday and heard Duran Duran "Hungry like the Wolf". That's bad music.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 02:20:04 am »
I used to listen to WRIF 101.1 out of Detroit.  It was the hard rock station in SE Michigan at that time.

Sounds like they still are. First thing I heard online was Kiss http://tunein.com/radio/WRIF-1011-s22422/

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 02:25:39 am »
Agreed. 38 special, Survivor, Journey. Back when Rock & Roll was Rock & Roll and country was still country.

Lots of southern rock back then.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBP15lRprPs
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:26:21 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:33:19 am »

I'd forgotten about 38 special. They was good date music. Or just hanging out in the fields drinking.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8sI_ye8LBM

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 02:45:19 am »
 :amen:

I am away from my records but I have booklets of where I compiled a list of my top 20 groups for every month from about 1973-1993.

I might publish those here in the future, if anyone is interested in discussion
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 02:45:44 am »
I hate to burst your bubbles, whipper snappers, but the best popular music of all time was in the 1930's.  Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and of course Frank Sinatra.  And the songwriters were superb, from Irving Berlin to Cole Porter.  No era since then can hold a candle to that time in pop music history.

Oh, and in my opinion Coldplay is hands down better than any similar band that came before, whether it be Electric Light Orchestra or the Moody Blues.  Coldplay takes it to a whole other level.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 02:45:46 am »
You can't mention the 80s without mentioning the Scorpions. They epitomized the term "power ballad'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjRas1yOWvo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ZSdicyD2Y

Offline endicom

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 02:46:21 am »
Boy, the way Glenn Miller played

Songs that made the Hit Parade

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 02:52:14 am »
Yep... They were still playin a little Hank on the radio... And Glen Campbell, Charley Pride... Haggard... all the way into Waylon and Wille. Can't beat it, you're right.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 02:58:56 am »
Peter Wolf was one of the great story tellers of music in the 80s.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0kszci6GRY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jA9jthigA

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 03:04:50 am »
Nugent was still living just outside my home town in 87.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZwS0ZonEU

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 03:08:59 am »
I hate to burst your bubbles, whipper snappers, but the best popular music of all time was in the 1930's.  Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and of course Frank Sinatra.  And the songwriters were superb, from Irving Berlin to Cole Porter.  No era since then can hold a candle to that time in pop music history.

Oh, and in my opinion Coldplay is hands down better than any similar band that came before, whether it be Electric Light Orchestra or the Moody Blues.  Coldplay takes it to a whole other level.
I'll grant you the 30s, but Coldplay? Seriously?? They have all the pretentiousness of their predecessors, but none of the direction.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 03:23:54 am »
If I had to rank the past 10 decades (or so) of popular music:

1. 1930-45 - As Prof. Massad noted, just a wave of tremendous and timeless artists.
2. 1970s - The art of the four-minute single was perfected with a number of excellent singer-songwriters and bands. The only reason it's not #1 was disco, which, although it had a really good beat and one can dance to it, had some really unsavory cultural ties to it.
3. 1990s - This was a real backlash against the 1980s, and the electronic stuff faded away. It gets demerits because of grunge, but some good rock came out of this.
4. 1964-69 - This was the lead-up into the 1970s, when groups like the Beatles helped break out of the funk of the 1950s. There was a lot of evolution in rock.
5. 1980s - This was up-and-down. There was still some good songwriting in the early 1980s, and a lot of quality country, but electronic acts, bad British bands and music videos drowned out a lot of it.
6. 1954-63 - This was the era of rock and roll, the seminal invention of the modern era. Some acts were very good, some very bad... and doo-wop was boring. Yeah, I said it.
7. 1920s - Forgettable, and forgotten.
8. 2000s - Like I said, almost all of this decade was terrible for music, with a few very rare exceptions.
9. 1946-53 - The post-World War II era gave us a lull in which we ended up with songs like "Mama Will Bark" and "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?" becoming major hits. And Hank Williams Sr.'s overrated.

To be truthful, I don't listen to enough of this decade's music often enough to rank it yet. Some of it seems quite good; I seem to get the impression that the crap of last decade is out of our systems.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:11 am »
There are always exceptions.

Audioslave was pretty good for a band that was together from 2001 to 2007

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WcabCftfR4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QU1nvuxaMA

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 03:47:40 am »
I love the bare bones straight rock of AC/DC in the late 70s. Colored lights and amps was about it.

Still very professional. You can see Angus pop a string and has to swap out guitars in the middle of the tune and then he has to tune it while he's playing it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIW19s_lGro

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 04:10:27 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 04:31:19 am »
If I had to rank the past 10 decades (or so) of popular music:

1. 1930-45 - As Prof. Massad noted, just a wave of tremendous and timeless artists.
2. 1970s - The art of the four-minute single was perfected with a number of excellent singer-songwriters and bands. The only reason it's not #1 was disco, which, although it had a really good beat and one can dance to it, had some really unsavory cultural ties to it.
3. 1990s - This was a real backlash against the 1980s, and the electronic stuff faded away. It gets demerits because of grunge, but some good rock came out of this.
4. 1964-69 - This was the lead-up into the 1970s, when groups like the Beatles helped break out of the funk of the 1950s. There was a lot of evolution in rock.
5. 1980s - This was up-and-down. There was still some good songwriting in the early 1980s, and a lot of quality country, but electronic acts, bad British bands and music videos drowned out a lot of it.
6. 1954-63 - This was the era of rock and roll, the seminal invention of the modern era. Some acts were very good, some very bad... and doo-wop was boring. Yeah, I said it.
7. 1920s - Forgettable, and forgotten.
8. 2000s - Like I said, almost all of this decade was terrible for music, with a few very rare exceptions.
9. 1946-53 - The post-World War II era gave us a lull in which we ended up with songs like "Mama Will Bark" and "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?" becoming major hits. And Hank Williams Sr.'s overrated.

To be truthful, I don't listen to enough of this decade's music often enough to rank it yet. Some of it seems quite good; I seem to get the impression that the crap of last decade is out of our systems.
I have to give a mention to Motown before it got angry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUG-9jZD-g

A lot of what I grew up listening to was pre-disco rock and roll, lots of one-hit-wonders, but also bands like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Credence Clearwater Revival, Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, Steppenwolf, Yes, The Guess Who, The Who, Grand Funk Railroad, Three Dog Night, Bread, Jefferson Airplane, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Buffalo Springfield, Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers, Deep Purple, and the like.

The rest was Country, bluegrass, and classical.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:36:57 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 05:15:38 am »
I hate to burst your bubbles, whipper snappers, but the best popular music of all time was in the 1930's.  Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and of course Frank Sinatra.

Glenn Miller doesn't belong in the same area cose, never mind mention, as Duke Ellington. (Well,
nobody really does.) Or Count Basie and Benny Goodman, who should have been on the aforequoted
list, too. I like some of Miller's music but he wasn't even close to their league.

The best parts of Ellington, Fitzgerald, Satchmo, the Count, and the King of Swing? They never forgot the
blues. (If you could hear some of the sides Armstrong cut blowing for Bessie Smith you'd be
amazed with a capital A.) And neither did future jazzmen as Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Christian (died way too
young), Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, John Lewis, Milt Jackson, John Coltrane,
Sonny Rollins, Jimmy Giuffre, Jimmy Smith, Wes Montgomery, Oliver Nelson, and the Adderley brothers, to
name a few.

Come to think of it, the performance that kick-started Duke Ellington's remarkable comeback in the mid-1950s?
A blues!

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue"

Glenn Miller was puppy chow compared to that . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:26:13 am by EasyAce »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 05:31:21 am »
Said every generation ever. :silly: