Author Topic: The push for positive school climate bumps up against Trump rhetoric  (Read 809 times)

rangerrebew

The push for positive school climate bumps up against Trump rhetoric
educationviews.org/push-positive-school-climate-bumps-trump-rhetoric/
By EdSource11/27/2016

School officials, especially in California, are placing increased emphasis on respect for all students and civil discourse.

If President-elect Donald Trump were a high school student in California, he might find himself in a restorative justice circle making amends for his hurtful words and behavior.

“He would be in a lot of trouble,” said Jaana Juvonen, a UCLA researcher who studies student bullying.

Supported by civil rights laws, brain science and research on learning, schools in California and across the nation have increasingly made it a priority to try to create classrooms that are welcoming to all. The goal is civil discourse, improved academic performance and fewer discipline incidents. Positive school climate is part of the idea behind elementary school students shaking hands with their teachers in the morning, middle school students creating “No Bullying!” posters and high school students talking it out in stress management support groups. In California, improving “school climate” is part of the new education accountability system, although no one is quite sure what to measure.

http://www.educationviews.org/push-positive-school-climate-bumps-trump-rhetoric/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:03:14 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: The push for positive school climate bumps up against Trump rhetoric
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:05:56 pm »
"Positive school climate" is a pseudonym for liberal, social justice indoctrination.  The goal is not the exchange of ideas but the squelching of ideas that differ from the liberal point of view.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:19:43 pm »
"Positive school climate" is a pseudonym for liberal, social justice indoctrination.  The goal is not the exchange of ideas but the squelching of ideas that differ from the liberal point of view.
BINGO on that.  Kids are kids and the whole process of bullying, fighting arguments you name it are a part of growing and learning.  It may only be me, but as I look back on life and you can at my age, I remember more they things I failed at and then repeated and got it right.

You cannot tell kids to not do something they don't know what it is, its the classic case of you don't know what you don't know.  Better have them learn young that get out in the real world and learn the really hard way...which may well lead to catastrophic results, like going 'Postal'....
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:40:50 pm »

You cannot tell kids to not do something they don't know what it is, 

The four things you cannot never force a kid to do:  See if you can make me learn; see if you can make me think; see if you can make me talk; see if you can make me accept your values.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:09:24 am »
From the article:
"Supported by civil rights laws, brain science and research on learning, schools in California and across the nation have increasingly made it a priority to try to create classrooms that are welcoming to all..."

I don't believe that classrooms should BE "welcoming to all".

Those who are disruptive, should be cast out.
Those who refuse to learn and progress, should be sent to other (reform) schools where they won't take up space and time from students who do.

Does that make me "discriminatory" and "non-inclusive"?

You betcha!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:05:18 am »
From the article:
"Supported by civil rights laws, brain science and research on learning, schools in California and across the nation have increasingly made it a priority to try to create classrooms that are welcoming to all..."

Those who refuse to learn and progress, should be sent to other (reform) schools where they won't take up space and time from students who do.

You betcha!
And what happens to any kid who isn't "welcoming to all"?

Do they get kicked out?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:53:45 pm »
From the article:

You betcha!
Then I would have been kicked out, in fact prob would last a single day.  Trust me I knew well what its like to be kicked out but not.  The more the teachers beat me the more I rebelled.  I have severe Dyslexia and in fact still have it in my 70's so it does not look like I am going to outgrow it like many do.  But to make the problem worse I am quite smart and being smart and reversing numbers and letters meant failed grades on the 2 things they focused on back then...math and english.  But in those days Dyslexia, what is that????  Teachers saw me as jerking them around and beat the chit out of me as if that helped.  Finally one teacher looked a bit harder at my math quiz and noticed that I had the right answers if only I did not transpose the numbers.  He also discovered I could the math in my head better than the students in class could on paper, so he gave me oral math tests and I finally passed.

Take away, no your method won't work, my guess is you would just beat the kids thinking that would work...FOOLED YA!
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...